3 Metre Bronze Whaler In Narra Lake

mrmoshe

From the Ripley's Believe It Or Not department!!

There is reportedly a 3 metre Bronze Whaler shark in Narrabeen Lake at the moment.

I was down there wading into the middle of the lake near the Caravan Park and fishing in the main channel

when I noticed a jetski approaching on my right.

The bloke on board hit the sandbar at a fair clip and stopped dead in his tracks. I had a chuckle to myself at that sight.

Anyway, he gets underway again and comes closer and I see it's a Warringah Council sponsored Lifesaver

Jetski with the trailer giizmo on the back. I have never seen a lifesaver jetski in the lake before.

He approaches me and yells to me that there is a report of a three metre bronzie in the lake at present and to be aware...oh..and he jokingly said I may need bigger hooks.

I asked him where this noah was supposed to be and he told me the last sighting was down near the Woolies Bridge in the main channel.

He said they are going to do some regular patrols of the lake until it's either caught or no more sightings are made.

I still find it hard to believe that a 3 metre bronzie could even get into the lake as the entrance is only half a metre deep at best.

The lifesaver was going around to each and every fisho he saw and telling them to be aware.

I didn't get much today at the lake..just a couple of just sized bream and a smallish flattie..all released.

Another fisho about 20 metres away managed a thumper whiting on nippers and went a staggering 45cm :1yikes:

It was the most solid whiting I've seen in a long time. He nailed 2 more after that but not nearly as large.

So the whiting are still around...just need the nippers for them..or beach worms, neither of which I had today.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

thanks for informing us of that pete,

i was planning a wading session later on this week :thumbup:

oh and a quick question do you know if there are areas in the lake that hold yabbies (they dissapeared when the lake closed off), as it would be conveniant to pump for some and throw them out live.

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

Is anyone else getting a bit excited about catching the so called 3 metre bronzy?

If I had the gear I would be down there in a flash with the blodiest, fleshiest piece of tuna I could find and a leader made out of fencing wire and a few beers to wait it out!

Please someone go down there and try and catch it!

cheers,

blayne

Well Pete, we might have to invest in a pair of chainmail waders for the next whiting session.

I'm off to the ironmonger this morning for a fitting Darren. :1prop:

I still think this is some holidaymaker's idea of a joke to raise a shark alarm.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Pete

thanks for your report. It would be true. Bronzies are known to frequent the lake exactly at this time of year. It would have come in on the last big tide and got trapped. I witnessed national parks trap one in a net out the front of the caravan park on the sand bar in about 1996 and release it into the surf at North Narra. It could however be another species e.g bull shark. Either way I,d be careful wading inthe deep.

Davo

As they say its not probable but it is possible.... Stranger things have happened mate.....

I remember hearing a rumour of a Great white in Tuggerah Lakes a while ago...... low an behold a month or so later it turns up on the front page of the local rag caught in a pros net

I can see all the LBG guys down there today with the heavy gear.... Would make for some interesting conversations with passers by :1prop:

Yes, The Manly Daily has this story today on the shark sighting.

It just may be true, although now downgraded to a 1.5 metre model.

Shark warning for Narrabeen Lagoon

Lisa Muxworthy

17Jan07

SWIMMERS have been warned to keep clear of Narrabeen Lagoon after a whaler shark was seen in the water near Birdwood Park.

Fisherman Stephen Burleigh saw the 1.5m shark about 4.30am yesterday and reported it to Warringah Council.

Mr Burleigh was standing on a large rock near the Ocean St bridge and said he got a clear sighting and believed it was a tiger or bull shark.

He said the shark chased fish and then dragged a duck under the water.

``I have only seen two sharks that size in the lagoon in the last 10 years,'' he said. ``It could be very dangerous.''

Warringah Council said it was more likely to be a whaler and had rangers out in force yesterday afternoon to alert beach-goers.

The council said it was best for people to keep out of the water as the sighting could not be confirmed or denied.

It also notified residents near the lagoon, as well as Lakeside Caravan Park and the kayak hire business.

Council lifeguards patrolled the area until late last night and were due to return early this morning with NSW Fisheries.

The entrance to Narrabeen Lagoon was opened on December 6 with more than 40,000cu m of sand removed and used to nourish the Collaroy-Narrabeen beachfront.

Last March another fisherman claims to have temporarily landed a bronze whaler in the lagoon.

Adam Scott, of Narrabeen, said he was fishing on the ocean side of the Pittwater Rd bridge when a huge fish took hold of his line. After a 40-minute fight he was able to pull the metre-long shark ashore. He held it up for a photo then laid it on the ground to take out hooks before it started thrashing around violently and rolled back into the water.

Last September a great white shark measuring more than 2m was found dead in a Palm Beach shark net and disposed of at sea by Fisheries Department contractors.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Yes Jethro.

A shark (alledged to be a white) was caught at Canton Beach last year. However being a juvenile it was difficult to get a +ve ID and Professor Bill Gladstone from Newcastle University was unable to determine if it was in fact a Great white or another species.

davo

As far as Bronze whalers not being able to into the lake, the AAA Record for a bronze whaler,

and several other large Bronzies have been caught at St Kilda beach, North of Adelaide.

It is a popular area to wade for blue swimmer crabs, it is very shallow and once we had a 8 footer come to the back of the boat ( the bow of the boat was wedged on the sandbank) in water depth was less 80cms.

They chase crabs in the shallow water, and they are quite happy to swim with a good portion of their body

out of the water, and in deeper water will sit on the top and "sunbake"

A 3-6 footer would have no problems swimming in 50cm of water, especially if there was food around.

Any would probally enjoy the lake lifestyle -lots of benefits for him... plenty of fresh, bread fed ducks to nibble and being the biggest fish in the pond

If a fishraider catches it , makesure your wearing a fishraider hat for the Manly Daily frontpage photo!

AAA Record -

Whaler, Bronze Carcharhinus brachyurus 226.800 R. Hambly-Clarke St Kilda SA 7/1/1962

caught at the end of the boat ramps breakwall. At low tide you can wade out 100 meters from here and its

only waist deep.

Jason

Yes Jethro.

A shark (alledged to be a white) was caught at Canton Beach last year. However being a juvenile it was difficult to get a +ve ID and Professor Bill Gladstone from Newcastle University was unable to determine if it was in fact a Great white or another species.

davo

It was a pretty sketchy photo in the paper and I dont know a great deal about sharks but it sure looked like a GW to me

Did Prof Gladstone examine the animal or just photos?? The rumour was the Pros cut it up and gave it away to fiends and were subsequently fined by Fisheries as it is a protected species

I took several course taught by Bill Gladstone whilst attending Newcastle Uni an if he was hard pressed to ID the shark it could have been severeal species.

His knowledge is unbelievable but if he wasnt able to ID it I doubt any could (100%)! However over a beer with him "OFF" the record it would be interesting to see what he thought it was

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Watched a show on discovery the other night on bull sharks, had great footage of sharks swimming in very shallow water (3 feet) around the legs of 2 reseachers. The sharks were between 2 & 3 metres long :1yikes:

Becarefull :biggrin2:

An update in today's Manly Daily:

Sharks lured by fish feeding frenzy

SCHOOLS of salmon and mullet seen off Narrabeen Lagoon could be responsible for Tuesday's shark sighting.

Long-time Narrabeen resident and member of the Narrabeen Lagoon Estuary Management Committee, David Cunliffe, told The Manly Daily there had recently been salmon just off the beach chasing krill.

He said the fish would have lured the shark into the lagoon.

``We've had dolphins just past the break for the past few days, and I'm predicting we will have some whales there soon,'' Mr Cunliffe said.

``The salmon schools and mullet are definitely causing the shark activity.''

A 1.5m whaler shark was spotted by a fisherman near Birdwood Park at 4.30pm on Tuesday.

NSW Fisheries assisted Warringah Council yesterday by patrolling the waters from 6-11am.

The shark has not been seen by authorities since, although a council spokeswoman told the Daily there had been two unconfirmed sightings yesterday.

``Two fishermen reported seeing a 1.2 m bronze whaler leaving the lagoon and heading into the ocean,'' she said.

``We will have signs up until the end of the school holidays reminding people there has been a sighting and to be aware of that. We are advising swimmers to avoid the area. Swimmers will do so at their own risk.''

The spokeswoman said the council would conduct beach and water patrols between the Ocean St bridge and the mouth of the lagoon until Sunday.

Signs warning of the sighting were also put up around the lagoon, which feeds directly off the Tasman Sea, a Warringah Council spokeswoman said.

``Jetski patrols will be done twice daily, at dawn and dusk, when sharks are most likely to be seen.''

Pete

Thought you would have caught the shark by now !! What's doing???

Davo

No Davo..haven't been down at all this week.

Drove past today and there was NO-ONE wading the lake. Just a few fishos on the bank.

Didn't see any rangers or lifesavers on jetskis today either.

There was a report that someone saw it leave the lake over the entrance but who knows.

Pete.

No Davo..haven't been down at all this week.

Drove past today and there was NO-ONE wading the lake. Just a few fishos on the bank.

Didn't see any rangers or lifesavers on jetskis today either.

There was a report that someone saw it leave the lake over the entrance but who knows.

Pete.

just got back from narra ..

the lifesavers on the jetski was just packing up

ppl mucking around in the water ... dunno if I would have done the same ..

and all the fishos around me were all joking about gunning for the shark .. heheh

not much on the bite ...

2 bream and 2 whiting ... all returned ..

This is in today's Manly Daily:

Shark in pool prank `common'

PRANKSTER fishermen regularly release sharks into Narrabeen Lagoon and North Narrabeen Rock Pool as a joke on swimmers, according to residents.

A Warringah Council spokeswoman confirmed that captured sharks had been deliberately set loose in the area.

``Fishermen have put sharks in the lagoon and rock pool,'' the spokeswoman said.

``They have dropped them in but they have always been babies so they just swim back out again.''

Narrabeen fisherman David Cunliffe described the common dumpings as ``silly pranks''.

``They might catch boxhead sharks or port jacksons and put them in the rock pool but that's just a silly prank,'' he told The Manly Daily.

However, Mr Cunliffe said the whaler shark spotted near Birdwood Park recently was not put there by a fisherman.

``This recent sighting is not a prank,'' he said.

``Sometimes rock fishermen do that because the rock pool is nearby, but they are usually port jacksons or harmless sharks.

``I don't know of anyone doing it with dangerous sharks.''

David Pennings from the Warringah Anglers Fishing Club said sharks had also been released into Dee Why pool.

``I have heard of it happening,'' Mr Pennings said.

``It's mainly a lot of tourists coming down and doing it.

``I don't think locals would do it, they just cut the line and let it go.

``I think they just do it for a joke.''

Another resident, who did not want to be named, said the practice was ``common and well-known by the community''.