Georges River Sharks

DaveD

I noticed a guy mention the bronzey in narra lake and was wondering has anyone spotted sharks or caught them in georges river? I mean Tom Ugly's and Captain Cooks is part of the same water ways but I was curious about further up. Theres signs even up to Lake Gillawarna saying 'sharks' in the water which is pretty cool, never heard of an instance involving one apart from nearer towards Botany.

I havent seen one in the Georges for fair while, any sharks that is but i havent really been on the lookout for them either.

Bull sharks were always pretty commonly talked about when i was younger and fished the banks of the Georges with my grand parents. When i was about 10 or 12 i used to see people fishing with baloons along the stretch between east hills railway bridge and picnic point of a late afternoon and well into the evening.

An old fella i was talking to out there one day told us that the Georges had recorded the most shark attacks out of all the Sydney estuaries.

As a young bloke I saw a two sharks way up the back of the Woronorra River but as i turn 40 this year that makes that story ancient history.

More recently (this time last year) a mate of mine claims to have caught a 5-6ft shark under Como Bridge.

If they are in Botany bay therres no reason for them not to be further up the river.

Havent seen a shark in the georges since the mid 80s...

they used to come up regularly to Milperra in the 80s drought.... (Namesay and I always hoped they would eat the water skiers at east hills)

But the river has been ruined a lot with both the creation of the chipping norton lakes which creates a near perminant layer of suspended silt in the water and the flood mittigation levy at Kelso Creek at East Hills which thanks to Bankstown council killed the creek and a very major food source and breeding ground in the river.... so no feed, no breed = no small fish = no bigger fish = no sharks...

Namesay & I used to catch litteral keeper nets full of Blackfish all 2.5-4lb each time we went out... but the levy killed that (used to be true bedsheet size sheets of cabbage weed floatin down!)

We even caught Old Maid and Surgeon fish at East Hills and Milperra.... the water was that clean....

But Not now.... RIP the good old days.....

Fisheries is actually pushing for the removal of fish barriers at the moment and I have reported the levy to them.... and it was evidentally tagged by them as a problem already...

so the more pressure here the better boys....more little fish upstream means bigger fish all over.. including in the bay...!!!!

I can send you the fisheries contacts details if you PM me.

but back to the sharks... regardless of rumours of sharks in an area or not... if you cant see the bottom and all around you for a long way ...don't go swimming....(unless you are a politician!)

Tight Lines

Rodger

Namesay & I used to catch litteral keeper nets full of Blackfish all 2.5-4lb each time we went out... but the levy killed that (used to be true bedsheet size sheets of cabbage weed floatin down!)

We even caught Old Maid and Surgeon fish at East Hills and Milperra.... the water was that clean....

But Not now.... RIP the good old days.....

Your kidding aren't you? The Georges is full of blackfish every winter. Everyone you see fishing for them has bulging keeper nets.

Regarding water quality we don't get the algal blooms we used to now that they don't put sewerage into the river.

Quite a while ago ( 15yrs?) remember Dad reading a article in the paper about a trainer losing half a greyhound that he was training down at the Georges river. Down on the river near Georges hall somewhere. The dog was going for a swim waist deep and bang.

Hence he didn't win anymore races. :05:

Quite a while ago ( 15yrs?) remember Dad reading a article in the paper about a trainer losing half a greyhound that he was training down at the Georges river. Down on the river near Georges hall somewhere. The dog was going for a swim waist deep and bang.

poor greyhound. well they still have the signs up, im guessing it would've been a frequent occurance, not particularly grey hounds but u get the message.

Shit that sounds like the same Greyhound that I have been backing for the last 10 years.

Might be best to switch to the horses.