Drought Broken - Clifton Gardens 28/01/07

Chaos

This is my first post since recently joining, so hope its not to long.

Headed off late (8am) from Roseville with a hangover (our girlfriends not happy being woken up either). Went to the Spit to try and catch a squid, have been trying a few times with no luck. This time my mate catches a nice size Southern and we were feeling good. Tried for a few more with no luck, so head over to Cobbity Beach for a try. Only stayed for 5 -10 mins with no luck and decided to head off to Wedding Cakes to try for some yakka’s. At that time of the morning the old fella’s are out in all their glory and we couldn’t take it anymore. Around 10.30 am by this stage and no yakka’s to be found. Confidence started to drop. Strange that when we catch yakka’s, we can’t catch a squid. Catch a squid and we can’t catch yakka’s.

My mate says lets go over to Clifton Gardens and try for Kingies. I wanted to go out to Bluefish Point and try there. Decided to go to Clifton and try first, so we head over and drop a line. Ten minutes later with 2 rods out the back and us stuffing around at the front of the boat we hear zzzzzrrrrr. We haven’t caught a decent harbour king for a while so we are both jumping over each other to get to the rod. My mate was on with the live squid. A just legal King.

Now I was excited and rig up another rod. While rigging up my rod goes off and I’m onto a decent fight and a 65cm King. It was like this for the next few hours. At one stage I had a double hook up with 3 kingies still at the back of the boat flopping around. I think the key was the 1 squid we caught which turned the others on.

At the end I was fishing on 4lb braid with 6lb leader on a 2500 shimano symmetre and 3-5kg raider rod. Can't beat the zzzzzr of the reel and the 10 minute fight. By the end we had bagged out at 10 Kingies and decided to call it a day.

After a drought last year, this was the best day fishing yet and the look on everyone's face when we came home with the esky full was priceless. Doubly sweet after all the ribbing we were getting after fishless outings.

Not superstitious but hopefully we have broken the drought

Cheers

Kurt

Bloody brilliant Kurt. :thumbup::thumbup:

Don't you just love it when it all comes together like that.

I bet you and the GF's got over the hangovers pretty quick when the mayhem started.

Hope you get many more days like that one in the future.

Cheers,

Pete.

Hey chaos!

What size boat were you in? greg was out today an today for the third day running, brought home another three legal kingys :thumbup::yahoo::thumbup:

He was in the 4.1M open tinny

Dan

Thanks everyone for the comments. Dan, we were in the Haines Hunter 570 SF near the drum. Were you the guys behind us who had your anchor dragged by one of the other boats?

Hey Mate

Yeah that was Greg in the tinny behind you guys! He told me you were doing alot of the ole 2 step jigg,,, ie 2+ rods, an multiple Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Your Name says it all "Chaos', LOVE IT :biggrin2:

Gotta Love that sound :1prop:

He was TAGGED ie had a "PRO" drop anchor across his. Needless to say when this guy decided to pull anchor, it took 20mins to figure out an untangle the anchor ropes. In which time Greg witnessed over 4 other boats hook up to kingys during this stuff up....He already had 2 keepers in the esky :1prop:

Good day! an WD chaos,,, next time Greg or myself c u out we will come over an say hello, or vice versa.

Dan an Greg

He was TAGGED ie had a "PRO" drop anchor across his. Needless to say when this guy decided to pull anchor, it took 20mins to figure out an untangle the anchor ropes. In which time Greg witnessed over 4 other boats hook up to kingys during this stuff up....He already had 2 keepers in the esky

wouldnt that annoy the crap out of you!!

Yeah Dan,

My mate and i were dancing around a bit. Don't mind the tangled lines when theres 2-3 fish on. We could stop laughing (after the fish were boated of course).

Felt sorry for you guys being anchor dragged around when the Kingies were on. Thought you handled it pretty well. If it was me would have been pissed.

Next time will come over and say hello. See you out there.

Cheers

Kurt