Squid

DaveD

There are many spots that work in the harbour, look for kelp beds around rocky ledges and headlands, work your jig from the shallows back to the boat, keeping it just above the kelp and you should do well

Edited by MallacootaPete

hey dave

wally's is good caught many squid and cuttlefish there you can pretty much sight cast for em. bundeena wharf is my fav tho. if you need some help next time im going down there i can give you tips as im there two three times a week

Everyone seems to mention going out catching some squid and there's their bait, but for a land based fisherman how is the best way to catch them? What to use and so forth...

hey man! i fish land based all the time (although not in your area) an chase squid fairly often, i use jigs (wether it be a $3 or $20 jig) ive done well on both! ive found the biggest key to be the retrivel speed of the jig, i usually wind in faster on my first few casts an get slower trying to keep the jig as close to the bottom as possible without snaging the bottom, and in the water for the longest possible time! ive found this is the biggest key of all, even if im fishing low to deep depths!

Practically going for Bream, I wouldnt mind if I some how hooked myself some nice flatty or snapper though :) Whiting wouldnt be too bad but usually end up going for bream.

Been using chicken lately, they like to really attack it sometimes...just not sure how many different fish it would attract. Ive caught taylor, bream and a smalll leatherjacket on chicken, all lil ones though.

hey guys wanted to ask will there be squid in rivers or only bays and ocean also if aroun rivers is tehre around berkinhead point? plus is there weekbeds there

I tried casting my squid jig near the mouth of the Lane Cove River yesterday but didn't get any hits.

So I'm assuming rivers are not too good for squiding.

Hmmmmmmmm

I was taught that squid rely on their sight for feeding an secondly smell, hence I would asssume

that squid need crystal clear waters to hunt their prey ie, prawns an other crusteans or baitfish.

I dunno if Birkenhead would produce squid, but what the hell Id still give it a shot!!! You maybe suprised :thumbup::thumbup:

Dan an Greg