Botany Bay - Outside 1/2/07

njsconst

Well got up at 4.30am with the intention of heading out of Botany Bay to the FADs in search of what seems to be the elusive dolphin fish this season. The BOM had predicted a light 8/13knot breeze from the SE....... WRONG!!!! :1badmood: Will they ever get it right! (that is the only job where you can stuff up every day and remain employed).

Launched the boat at Oatley and headed to Yarra Bay in an attempt to get some livies. When I passed under Capt Cook Bridge I was greated by a already stiff south easterly blowing across the Bay causing a nice chop. I continued and bashed my way across to Yarra Bay. Burlied hard there for about 20mins with not even a touch. Moved around to the little sheltered bay at the western side of Monilleaux Point. A spot that JAMES1990 recommended. Burlied hard there for about another 20mins. Caught a 30cm trevally on my bait jig, but as far as yakkas or slimmies, they weren't there today. at least it was out of the wind there.

Moved across to Watts Reef and again burlied for nothing! By this time I had the shits :mad3: and decided to give up on the live bait.

By now it was about 7am as I headed east through the heads. I was greated by a 2m swell and a strong 20 knot breeze from the SE. I punched about 4kms east before it was all to much. The sea was ugly and the water temp was only 21.1 degrees. With that in mind I trawled some skirts back into the Bay and fished around the shipping buoys for some kingies. Only had salted pilchards for bait. Persisted there for about an hour but the wind was making it very difficult.

Headed back in, put the boat on the trailer and went home with my tail between my legs. Decided to save the fuel for another day when conditions were more favourable.

So this was not my best day fishing.

Champ, Buoyweather and Seabreeze are far more accurate than BOM, with the first the best one, forget BOM these days, they are not up to scratch!

K.

Guest IFishSick.

I've found Seabreeze to be bang on every outing over the last 5 months since the new boat was on the water.

Tough luck about the fish though.

i had a similar plan this morning... woke up at 0500, looked outside, not so nice, so went back to bed. woke up again at a reasonable hour, had breakfast, looked outside and this time conditions were much better.

i was on the water by 11, also tried for yakkas with no luck so i worked the markers for plenty of rats. 99% were between 55-60cm, kept one for the bbq and the rest went back.

it turned out to be a great day... overcast with little wind, had most of the bay to myself and heaps of hungry kings!! :thumbup:

might give them another crack tomorrow

It definately pays to have a backup plan if you want to head outside...

Just in case... bring some prawns and fish for Flathead.... good backup in Botany Bay....

Of course if your boat is too big to attack them in the shallows then all you can hope for is a trevally or two... (bigger boats are a pain in shallow water ain't they?)

hit the same markers again this morning for poor results :thumbdown: the same spots that were holding 6 or 7 fish yesterday, were dead today... the kings that i did find weren't playing ball today... nosing the lure all the way then bye bye!

very strange, but that's fishing :wacko:

Take today as an example.

Seabreeze has been saying for 3 or 4 days now that this morning would be light breeze predominantly out of the south. At 2.30 am the Norah head observations swung to the SE then all morning swung around between SSW an SE. At 12.30 pm it swung to ESE which is now. Still no North in that.

The Bureau site has been saying NE and todays forecast is still saying "Wind: E/NE 5/10 knots in morning, NE 10/15 knots in afternoon." Even the Sydney Weekend Boating Forecast was still saying NE until early revision this morning.

i use sea breeze and buoyweather as well

find them very good and accurate

i think sea breeze is updated very regulary so it is always on the ball and it has the live wind readings from north head and airport so u can get an idea of exactly wat is happening