Popper Plus Sluggo Casting Rid + Reel Combo Needed

big_steve

hey fellas,

i need some ideas for a light rod and reel combo

its going to be used JUST for throwing small metals , poppers, sluggos ect ect

at schooling kings,bonnies,salmon ect ect

main purpose is just to have it rigged up on the boat so wen i come across surface activity WHAM

grab it and out it goes..

any ideas or id like to hear what fellow raiders use for this..

cheers steve :1fishing1:

Shimano Snapper raider, 7"6' 5-8kg with a symetre 4000 reel..... or a T-Curve bluewater spin 5-10kg which is a bit shorter..

thats the setup that i have ready and rigged at all times on my boat, has landed many a pelagic throwing big sluggos and poppers... however, i will be replacing the Shimano snapper raider with one of tonys custom snapper masters when it is finished, it was built for the exact purpose you have mentioned. come and have a play with it once it is finished and i bet you will want to take it home!

hey fellas,

i need some ideas for a light rod and reel combo

its going to be used JUST for throwing small metals , poppers, sluggos ect ect

at schooling kings,bonnies,salmon ect ect

main purpose is just to have it rigged up on the boat so wen i come across surface activity WHAM

grab it and out it goes..

any ideas or id like to hear what fellow raiders use for this..

cheers steve :1fishing1:

Steve, i have been looking at a outfit for the same purpose also, am considering a Twinpower or a small Stella match up with a custom rod.......Just trying to figure how much i wanna spend as i rarely cast sluggos or any lure other then a squid jig.....

I can get both of those reels pretty cheap from Japan or the states so im just trying to figure out which one...am probably going towards twinpower as it is half the price of the stella.

Sammy...how did you go with the Ocea Jigga

Edited by netic

Steve, i have been looking at a outfit for the same purpose also, am considering a Twinpower or a small Stella match up with a custom rod.......Just trying to figure how much i wanna spend as i rarely cast sluggos or any lure other then a squid jig.....

I can get both of those reels pretty cheap from Japan or the states so im just trying to figure out which one...am probably going towards twinpower as it is half the price of the stella.

Hi Oz,

the twinpower is a fantastic reel, one of the lightest in the range, make sure you get a look at this custom rod i got tony to make me!

As for the ocea jigger, you were right that i wouldn't hold enough 50lb to be worth it, so i went for the little Black magic avet that you saw at the Kingy social, i'll probably get a torsa 20 or tiagra 20 later on so i can run some serious braid

G'day Steve

My Pelagic L would be perfect for that purpose. I have a demo one if you would like to have a play. The rod is built to match a 4000 size reel and suits 15-20lb braid. Lures I use of these range from plastics like power minnows, sluggos and metal slices like raiders and halcos. Can cast lures upto 40g.

Price is $320 with guides featuring solid titanium frames and titan seat and cork butt

Hi Oz,

the twinpower is a fantastic reel, one of the lightest in the range, make sure you get a look at this custom rod i got tony to make me!

As for the ocea jigger, you were right that i wouldn't hold enough 50lb to be worth it, so i went for the little Black magic avet that you saw at the Kingy social, i'll probably get a torsa 20 or tiagra 20 later on so i can run some serious braid

THose little avets are pretty good reels, strong and feel great..shame the Aus dealer doesnt market them better...atleast Black Magic has released some.....I also have been considering an Avet as everyone who owns one absolutely raves about them

As i mentioned to you previously your better off going the 30a Tiagra....great size and pretty light, with the .57 IGFA rated game line that Tony got for me i got just under 600 yards of 50lb mono.....NOw this reel can be used for monster kings, All types Tuna including YFTand BFT and also Marlin.....what more can you ask for from a offshore pelagic reel....

As you know i dont like to fish for YFT with braid and most people dont including the pro's, so the torsa although a very good reel can only be braided up....which limits it to just kings......no Beakies or Tunas...

Edited by netic

Shimano Snapper raider, 7"6' 5-8kg with a symetre 4000 reel..... or a T-Curve bluewater spin 5-10kg which is a bit shorter..

thats the setup that i have ready and rigged at all times on my boat, has landed many a pelagic throwing big sluggos and poppers... however, i will be replacing the Shimano snapper raider with one of tonys custom snapper masters when it is finished, it was built for the exact purpose you have mentioned. come and have a play with it once it is finished and i bet you will want to take it home!

Hi Guys,

Sammy, I have the Snapper raider as well and like you have it rigged ready to go should that school pass by. I normally have a good size jig head with a 4 inch bass minnow ready.

I just love mine. It's great for casting with the extended butt and they've upgraded the guides since the last range. It performed beautifully at the King social and you can really put some hurt on the fish if you need to.

If you're after something like it and you're not in a position to buy a custom made I think this is a great alternative at a reasonable price for what you get.

Just my humble opinion of course!! :tease:

post-237-1170739809_thumb.jpg

post-237-1170739824_thumb.jpg

Cheers

David.

yeah sammy id like to have a look when its finished it sounds like its going to be a nice piece of work..

also if ur considering a torsa then i have nothing more then praise for them..

i havnt landed 1m kings on it yet but only 77cms being the biggest and its rather effortless

the drag on these things are amazing, ull pull heads off any kings with 1..

i have the torsa 30 and spooled up with 50lb fins matchd to a jig wrex and also have tcurve bluewater

15-24kg rod for it too...

awesome set up :thumbup::thumbup:

oz,

yeah mate ive played with the twin power 6000 and they feel like a little machine, i liked them.

i was leaning 2wards 1 but a small stella is real classy to... descisions descicions haha..

My sluggo and metal throwing gear is:

Loomis Bronzeback SMR9135-SP 7foot 7inch long (10 to 17lb) with 4000 size Shimano Sustain & 15lb Tuffline. Got to love the Seppos and their perseverance with the imperial measurement system, but outfit works fine for me.

Saw a nice Loomis Greenwater the other day that would be perfect for this application, was tempted but no dollars to play with :thumbdown: .

John

Edited by Blood Knot

If you want a REALLY special set up, you should look at my gear. I own the shimano twin power 6000 ( there isn't much I don't own!!!Ha Ha ) and it is a good reel but it feels very agricultural compared to the Daiwa Certate. The stella in the small sizes don't impress me either....nor the daiwa saltigas. THey feel overly stiff for a casting outfit!

The Daiwa certates come in various sizes but their big advanatage is their small size , fantastic drag and extreme smoothness. My favourite and the favourite of most people is the 4000. The certate is becoming the country's premier pelagic casting reel.

Weight is important as this wil be a casting outfit and will he held in your hand. When you hook that king, the certate will bring it home without fuss time after time. David Green LOVES his certate and has written a shit load of praises....must admit I was onto them first! He fishes as much as me!!! Can fish 8kg of drag without trying. SOme guys I know fish 10-15kg's of drag on this reel! They cost about $500-600.

As for rods, you'll need something that will handle light weights but have enough to fight decent fish. This means you'll have to go graphite. AS only graphite will deliver the tip speed and stiffness. I have tried almost every rod in this range. I have settled on the daiwa saltiga dorado recently...thanks Wacko. Absolutely fantastic. My previous rod was a loomis mb843 imx but the daiwa kicks its butt.

The shimano t curve is OK and I have owned the rod rated for 5-10kg with the cork grips for about a year but you'll love the saltiga. It is lighter and has more power and casts further.

Last week I had a little play with Rodger's outfit which was from Tony. The rod is great value for money but the daiwa has more in reserve and a faster tip recovery speed but of course you pay more! The saltiga sells for about $550-600. I have caught over 50 kings from rats to 85cm models on this outfit in the last 2 months on lures. Can't fault anything. I think I'll be using this outfit for a LONG time. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

woow thats quite expensive set up for a flick rod $1000 odd dollars..

NEVER fishd with dawia as ive always been a shimano boy...

i might have to bring my cash and raid ur garage kelvin sounds like u got STACCCCKS

cheers steve

That saltiga dorado is worth its money. Just fantastic. You really won't know how this rod performs until you cast and catch a fish on it. It looks like any normal rod and feels almost flimsy..too light to be any good.....that is until you cast with it and hook a king!!! THen the rod comes alive!!! It has reserves of power that few rods in this category has. Have a look at the "fishing DVD" . I don't know what volume but they use this outfit for pelagics like golden trevalley. The outfit with the certate just feels "right".

P.S. Charles on sunday was amazed at the way this outfit subdued the kings. Couldn't believe such a fragile looking outfit was so tough. He brought his own gear to fish , mainly tough fiberglass rods but put them aside to use my gear as it was much more effective and nicer to use. He was still shaking his head at the end at how effective this new gear is. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

[kel

What do you think about putting a larger reel like a 6000 (saltiga maybe) on the rod to provide a bit more versatility of use. Do you think it would be just as good as the certate 4000, balance and weight wise for SP's and lures in the harbour. Asking because for that kind of $$ I would want something that I could also use outside on the bigger Kings etc.

Cheers

Kurt

[kel

What do you think about putting a larger reel like a 6000 (saltiga maybe) on the rod to provide a bit more versatility of use. Do you think it would be just as good as the certate 4000, balance and weight wise for SP's and lures in the harbour. Asking because for that kind of $$ I would want something that I could also use outside on the bigger Kings etc.

Cheers

Kurt

Putting a larger/heavier reel on this rod would be criminal! In fact the certate will handle heavy drag without problems. In fact Kurt, there isn't that much difference between the Saltiga 6000 and the Certates except that the certates are so much smoother. Almost everyone who works in a tackle store buys certates. They were designed for heavy use. Guys are using the smaller 2500 certates for impoundment barra...up to 50lbs!

THese new age reels were designed for braid. They have super slow oscillating spools to minimise wind knots and to pack the braid in firmer. Their small size complements the use of braid extremely well. But braid is so much stronger than nylon so the manufacturers had to toughen the reels to suit-including the drags, reel body, bail arm...etc. These reels are like F1 cars....all hi tech. Other reels feel like leyland buses compared to these reels.

If you read the current fishing mags/journals, the certate is THE casting reel to use due to its light weight, extreme smoothness, toughness and durability. I find I am finding more uses for the certate/dorado combo all the time. Recently Daiwa are making the smoothest spinning reels in history. The certate, caldia are just a couple of examples.

This outfit can cast light squid jigs as well as almost anything else. I used it today to drift a few squid strips around markers as well as cast lures. WOrked great.

I have had the certate for about a year now and it has been almost faultless. The only things to go wrong was the bail bearing which was making a noise..easily fixed with some oil/grease and some paint chipping off around the foot of the reel from countless hours casting and retrieving.

Yes they are expensive but you get what you pay for. For less money you can get outfits which will do 70-80% of the job. No problems with that. Each person has a different view in terms of value for money.

For me, I fish often and hard. I chase kingies almost exclusively and these guys are some of the toughest opponents you will find in the ocean. Just this week alone, over 40 kings were landed from my boat!!!! I need gear that will last and work under pressure.

Don't want to lose that fish of a lifetime because of crap tackle! I made a decision that the cheapest tackle is the dearest tackle! You buy some el cheapo stuff and throw it away. That is money down the drain. ALso with the crap gear, you don't enjoy your time on the water. You can save money but you can't buy time.

At the moment the certate/dorado outfit is the best casting outfit for what I do to chase surface pelagics. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Kelvin,

I use the dorado as well, and love it. Its only had a few outings off the rocks so far but it casts gars, sluggos, and metals up to 85 grams, and can handle up to 100 grams and for me is perfect for poppers too. I have however mated it to the dogfighter...extra capacity, and extra grunt as i probably will also be going and getting a gt86 for 80lb braid. Like you, I only target kings, but off the rocks, gotta stop em quick smart. A 4500 series would be a slightly better balanced outfit, but this still works, and can handle even more when thrown at it as hopefully will go for GTs sometime soon too. Nailed a THUMPER salmon on the weekend and the outfit didnt sweat it at all. Poor salmon didnt know what happened ! I backed the drag off as I pulled the lure out of another fish. Just need more time on the rocks to try it out more and nail some decent kings as well, not rats.Its a pricey outfit, but at least I dont have to worry about the handle falling off, or any other problems Ive had with cheap reels. Highly recommend that rod....

cheers

Edited by squidgie

You have a top outfit there. I agree with you totally....buy the best and enjoy how good it can be! Amamzingly versatile rod ....so light , can cast almost any weight and so much power behind it.Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

"( there isn't much I don't own!!!Ha Ha )"

Kelvin, you need a garage sale to clear out your 'outdated' stuff, i'm sure other Raiders would be more than happy to help you out! :biggrin2:

billy

Lately I have been giving away tackle to some mates. Better for someone to use them than to see them gathering dust. Its not crap gear either.

I haven't bought a rod or a reel for a LONG time now...probably 2 or 3 weeks!!! I am slowly getting outfits that are at the top of their game. Like the certate/dorado, torsa/tcurve, stella/jigwrex...etc.

I am about to build another loomis blank for pelagic casting. Gives me an excuse to buy some more gear. Cheers Kelvin

Saltiga Dorado 80TN - rated to PE5 or so..6-8 kg max drag, best at a bit lower than that ~4-5kg

Hi fellas

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think Kelvin and Squidgie may be talking about very different rods. Squidgie is using the Saltiga 80TN (heavy outfit, weighs 385g), but I suspect Kelvin is using the much lighter 80S (225g).

The 80TN will fish PE6 (about 60lb) and match up quite nicely with a Saltiga 6500 Dogfight, but not the 80S, which is designed to fish about 20lb. There is no way in hell you'd put a Dogfight on the 80S. Kelvin's Certate 4000 sounds about perfect.

cheers,

dave