Mullet On Fly In Lane Cove River

Jamiel1000

I've heard the best way is to burley them up with bread to get them on the chew, then either use 'bread fly' - could be made from fluffy pillow insert, deer hair, small bit of foam or even a compressed square of bread.

They fight hard, especially the big ones. Should be fun on a fly rod!

Cheers

Roberta

I have tried to get one on fly so many times it isn't funny (up near the weir). Burley dosen't work and neither do bread fly's. The thing with the big bullies is that they are feeding on very very small bits and pieces (not sure what they are exactly) and are very hard to immitate. Depending on where your fishing will vary on what they are eating, but in Lane Cove in particular this is what there feeding on.

If you do get one stick it out as a live bait ..... big sharks around there.

I have tried to get one on fly so many times it isn't funny (up near the weir). Burley dosen't work and neither do bread fly's. The thing with the big bullies is that they are feeding on very very small bits and pieces (not sure what they are exactly) and are very hard to immitate. Depending on where your fishing will vary on what they are eating, but in Lane Cove in particular this is what there feeding on.

If you do get one stick it out as a live bait ..... big sharks around there.

Sharks :(

I go wading around Sugar Loaf Bay Buffalo Creek on the flats every 2nd afternoon. catch heaps of flatties a few bream whiting and tailor but no sharks

I had better be careful in the future

Last night I was down there with the burley and it brought all the mullet suckers in, I was getting the bread fly in the right zones but no luck.

I have heaps of bass floaters might give them a go.

I've heard the best way is to burley them up with bread to get them on the chew, then either use 'bread fly' - could be made from fluffy pillow insert, deer hair, small bit of foam or even a compressed square of bread.

They fight hard, especially the big ones. Should be fun on a fly rod!

Cheers

Roberta

Thanks Roberta

I have tried this only last night.

The burley got the mullet in they were eveywhere only 6-8 inches but that would be a start.

They wouldn't take the bread fly.

What size fly would you recommend.

Edited by Yes Dear

Sharks :(

I go wading around Sugar Loaf Bay Buffalo Creek on the flats every 2nd afternoon. catch heaps of flatties a few bream whiting and tailor but no sharks

I had better be careful in the future

Last night I was down there with the burley and it brought all the mullet suckers in, I was getting the bread fly in the right zones but no luck.

I have heaps of bass floaters might give them a go.

dunno about sugar loaf but up near the weir you can occcasionally see them going through the mullet schools. More than likley bull sharks. There used to be some older guys that used to fish for them around there. Not sure if they still do or not

.....They wouldn't take the bread fly. What size fly would you recommend....

Hi ya

If they don't take the fly & are getting into the bread - just use tiny bits of compressed bread on a small hook - 9 or 10 should be fine - maybe even go to a 12.

When using my float for mullet, I use fresh white bread. Just cut off the crusts & use a rolling pin (or beer bottle...) to roll it absolutely flat (about 2-4mm thick - no air in the bread! Fresh bread is a must.) Using a really sharp knife, then I slice the bread into little squares - about 8 - 9 times in one direction then the same in the other direction. This gives you over 50 individual squares per slice to bait up with (each less than 1cm square.) Usually, one or two slices will do the whole trip! Use the crusts as burley or take extra bits as well.

To help the bread stay on longer, I usually squeeze them in half & in half again, so they are quite small & really dense and stays put on the hook! The smaller, the better, as I reckon they nibble the big ones, but swallow the small ones.

I know it would be better to catch them on fly .... but in the mean time, just better to catch them anyway (or make that ...any way!)

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks Roberta

I have tried this only last night.

The burley got the mullet in they were eveywhere only 6-8 inches but that would be a start.

They wouldn't take the bread fly.

What size fly would you recommend.

You might want to try the white bread deer hair flies tied on a size 14 hook use to work a treat.

Some times down there the bullies will take a bait down near the weir we used to fish there we use to have days where we'd get a stack of mullet. There are also a lot of good bream and flatties down there as well. There are also bass down there as well

If they are going for the bread and your not getting any hits off the top try a small sinking one off the floating fly.

Tie your floating fly off with a 1-2ft tag and then tie the sinking one to the end.

It works 2 ways, you have a floater as a fly and as a indicator plus the small trailer that will look like the burley slow sinking in the trail.

Greg

Thanks for all the ideas

I will be trying a few off them as the mullet are good size and jumping all over the place.

I was fishing on the flat east of the bridge opposite Hiunters Hill High the other night and a fellow came over with a 79 cm flattie he had caught, he let it go (which is good) but said he had an even bigger one that snap his line. they are out there!

Caught a couple of OK bream that night as well as a few flatties but ge the water is dirty, does this put the fish off the bite?

cheers