Squid Jigs

dailow

I want to have a go at catching squid, Is there any jig that works better than the other? whats the difference between one that costs $5 or $20? and what weight is best suited for fishing off a wharf in bays

Best to stick to smaller jigs size 1.5 to 2..... colour is a matter for probably the area you are squidding... if they dont take it and you know the squid should be there.... change colours...

I would stick to the Yozuri as I know they work... even though they cost around $18 in these sizes... they will most likely outlast cheap jigs and they are designed to sit in the water horizontally.... hence look more relaistically like a prawn or yellowtail etc.... you wont regret it....

Give Fishfinder Tony a call on 9661 7967 as he has a huge range with discounts for forum members and is a wealth of information...

If you cannot get over to the shop he will organise for it to be posted out to you.....

Tell him Rodger sent you (or he wont have my cuppa ready next time)

if you get over there check out the rods too.

Rodger Wearne

As mentioned Yozuri's are a great jig that will definately get you results, cheaper jigs may get results but not as often......I prefer the 1.8 to 2.0 size but it all depends on were you are squidding...depp water means bigger jig.

mate the expensive 1s usually out fish the cheaper jigs u will catch more squid with the well known jap brand jigs altho cheapos will sometimes snag u a squid every now and then..

main difference is the action in which the jig sinks

ect ect and the abillity to immitate a prawn or baitfish ect ect..

yozuris or yamashitas would be your best start and fishing in the bays or off a wharfs id generally

advise u start with 1.8 - 2 gram jigs.. smaller jigs will still catch u big squid.. anythng from a orange to pink

to brown all will work diff on diff days.

general rule is darker colours for early morning and brighter colour for bright days altho it just depends what

the squid prefer on the day..

so get urs self a few diff colours and see what u finds works best..

im sure if u USE THE SEARCH option here on fishraider ull be able to read up on PLENTY of info tips

do nd donts when it comes to catching squid...

all the best with ur new endevour

cheers steve

Pink, orange, blue, natural colours..one of each and like the others say, get good quality ones so they swim correctly. I have used el cheapos, and they work too, but it depends on where you are fishing. If you are on a wharf and sight fishing for them , then with some good rodwork you can keep them level and get good results. But I still go the better quality ones now. It pays to have different colours as after a while they when they have had a few goes at one colour, or seen some friends vanish, a change of colour can keep getting results.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

i finally got the chance to test out my new yozuri jig this weekend. Second cast i landed my first squid measuring about 17cm in the head. I ended up getting about 10 in total over the next couple of hours. These jigs work great

DIALOW

great to see you got some on your first outing,they are great fun to catch. :thumbup:

i have spent alot of time in Jervis Bay chasing these creatures.I think that catching squid is 70% technique and about 30% lure.I have used both expensive jigs and the bargain bin ones and caught squid on all of these,colour and size are probably the most important factors when choosing your jigs,its best to have a few different colours as squid can take to a particular colour on any given day.

hope this helps

here is a pic of our last trip using a $4 & $8 jig

post-2230-1171850101_thumb.jpg

here is a pic of some of the range we stock

post-2230-1171850131_thumb.jpg

nice HAUL of squid there watto

PLZ tell me they were kingy baits hehehe?

steve

Mate the heads were used for kingies and boy did they work a treat,however the bodies were too good to pass upfor a feed.my mother inlaw makes great clalmari rings

:thumbup::thumbup:

hahahaha good stuff mmmm

i always get in trouble from the GF she LOVES calamari rings and always ask me

howw many squid i caught,

i have to tell her half the number i actually got and said we didnt have enough for bait and used them

all..

keeps me outta trouble haha

steve

• 1 month later...

ive been using the "cheaper" jigs for a while, havent had a problem catching squid with them however ive found that they seem to wear out quickly (eg stitching+eyes falling off ...)

not too sure about this but ive been told by a few people if you use the enhancers on your jigs, they will wear out faster

theres a brand called yamashita, its a bit more expensive then the yo zuri but alot of the squid fanatics in asia use them, but then of course you have the yo zuri range

i know the yamashita jigs have a hollow body which make it sink slower i guess this would be better for shallow waters.

I used to use cheap jigs, no doubts they work, at $5 each im not complaining

Thing is i have switched to the higher end jigs this season , my catch rates have gone up, i have also been able to get some when they are finicky (spelling?) , where as the other jigs they would not touch.

The hooks are also bloody sharp, :tease:

From my experience, the expensive jigs are unfortunately worth the cost. In the only semi controlled experiment I know of, me and two others fished from the same boat using three different brands (and costs) of jigs in the same colour scheme and regularly swapped the jigs between us. The most expensive (yo-zuri) was easily the best, outfishing the cheapest by more than 5:1. This was a few years ago and there are some newer jigs on the market that may give the old yo-zuri a run but I reckon you still get what you pay for.

Its interesting that there's so much emphasis on colours for a colour blind animal but they do have very good vision, comparable with the best fish vision and as they are particularly shade sensitive and can percieve polarisation, they can certainly detect differences in finishes and likely percieve differences between different coloured lures due to this rather than due to colours (wavelength differences) so in practical purposes its still wortn having a variety. Most shallow water cephalopods do not detect red light at all so some of the popular colours like pinks and redhead (my favs.) must look quite different to them than they do to us but they still work.

Col.

PS.

Here is a cross-section of a squid eye (Sepioteuthis australis southern calamari hatchling) and you can see it is quite complex with many of the structures found in a vertebrate eye, the most obvious difference being its more logical organisation.

post-1831-1176387382_thumb.jpg

Edited by wrasseman

From my experience, the expensive jigs are unfortunately worth the cost. In the only semi controlled experiment I know of, me and two others fished from the same boat using three different brands (and costs) of jigs in the same colour scheme and regularly swapped the jigs between us. The most expensive (yo-zuri) was easily the best, outfishing the cheapest by more than 5:1. This was a few years ago and there are some newer jigs on the market that may give the old yo-zuri a run but I reckon you still get what you pay for.

Its interesting that there's so much emphasis on colours for a colour blind animal but they do have very good vision, comparable with the best fish vision and as they are particularly shade sensitive and can percieve polarisation, they can certainly detect differences in finishes and likely percieve differences between different coloured lures due to this rather than due to colours (wavelength differences) so in practical purposes its still wortn having a variety. Most shallow water cephalopods do not detect red light at all so some of the popular colours like pinks and redhead (my favs.) must look quite different to them than they do to us but they still work.

Col.

PS.

Here is a cross-section of a squid eye (Sepioteuthis australis southern calamari hatchling) and you can see it is quite complex with many of the structures found in a vertebrate eye, the most obvious difference being its more logical organisation.

Hey mate

Interesting read there! Just something though, everywhere I have searched implies an suggests that squid are colour blind to some degree. But this is not confirmed in any scientific journal an I spoke to several marine biologists who all say the same, its what they (scientists) think, but they have been unable to yet confirm that squid are colour blind. Sofar its speculation based upon research carried out not 100% proved. Or at least that I am aware of.

Dan (D & G)

Hey mate

Interesting read there! Just something though, everywhere I have searched implies an suggests that squid are colour blind to some degree. But this is not confirmed in any scientific journal an I spoke to several marine biologists who all say the same, its what they (scientists) think, but they have been unable to yet confirm that squid are colour blind. Sofar its speculation based upon research carried out not 100% proved. Or at least that I am aware of.

Dan (D & G)

Most squid tested (all but one as far as I know) possess only one photo pigment and as such are unlikely to be able to substantially distinguish between wavelengths. Certainly red light seems unseen by at least calamari and dumpling squid. There will be some squid visual research published shortly that will provide some confirmation of colour-blindedness at least in one species.

Col.

Most squid tested (all but one as far as I know) possess only one photo pigment and as such are unlikely to be able to substantially distinguish between wavelengths. Certainly red light seems unseen by at least calamari and dumpling squid. There will be some squid visual research published shortly that will provide some confirmation of colour-blindedness at least in one species.

Col.

Hmmm cheers for that mate.

Its a interesting topic,,,,, I just dunno,,,,, alot of big words are thrownen around in these scientific reports an investigations. I would LOVE to know the 100% proof. But I suppose there isnt such a thing. An please wrasseman dont read anything into this post.

Can you please foward any further findings that you discover about this topic to me! Would love to have a read. As, as far as Im concerned you can never know too much lol :biggrin2:

Thanks Mate

Dan (D&G)