Help! Landing My First Land Based Legal King At Cg!

henryinnis

Live Yakka or squid strips on floaters. They very thick at the moment so you prolly will do ok. Heaps of Bonito around there and Frigates cutting in and out of the area all day. 10gram metal slices for the frigates, cranked as fast as you can.

I'd go for the following:-

1) Good bait (fishfinder squid or prawns works for me) - only needs to be a relatively small piece of squid (3 inches say)

2) Use little or no lead

3) Use as light a line as you think you can get away with - its a bit of a tradeoff between getting the bites and being busted off

4) A longer rod will help keep the fish from heading under the wharf, if not, just be ready for them to head under your feet...

5) Take a landing net

6) Burley hard to get them interested

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Aussie007
You will be sharing the wharf with about 50 other people wanting the same thing as you my friend.....

very true i first fished CG about 13 years ago the crowed is still there today the idea is arive 1-3am be patient and wait untill others have left than you'll have the end of the warf as the sun comes up it gets bloody packed good luck :thumbup:

Edited by gazza

The lower the breaking strain, the less chance you have of landing your fish, but the more bites you will get, because the fish there are very picky. It helps if you use little or no lead (if you can without annoying the other 200 people down there).

I would take say 15lbs as a starting point and go from there. Some guys will go lighter, and others will say that it is madness to use something that light on kings. In my view its very different fighting a king on the wharf from fighting one from the rocks because you are right on top of it and you generally have a lot more control over whats going on. As I said before a long rod really helps too.

Also helps if you have in your mind what you are going to do once you are hooked up!

The only thill i get is a king slapping the deck of my boat, light line or not

I Agree completely........i cant stand losing fish...period...especially kings.....So i fish heavy and trust me...its feels just as good seeing a king hit the deck on 50lb as it would on 15lb....

15lb for cg is about right in my opinion. good to use a rod at least 7ft in lenth and rated around the 15lb mark as well. i've caught them on lighter but you'll loose at least half as many as you hook. there may be days where they hit on 30lb at the wharf but that seems to be rare. good luck.

is this the wharf you fish off at CG or is it the other 1's?

Yes Dangles, the wharf in the left of the picture is the public wharf.

The wharf to the right is a no go area as it's owned by the Navy. Those drums you see half way out into the middle of the bay is the marker for the restricted area.

Cheers,

Pete.

Yes Dangles, the wharf in the left of the picture is the public wharf.

The wharf to the right is a no go area as it's owned by the Navy. Those drums you see half way out into the middle of the bay is the marker for the restricted area.

Cheers,

Pete.

thanks for that