The Noble Has Arrived

namesay

Just got my new boat today. Looks great. Did a small run today and got 44mph out of her on the new Honda. In her sea trials in Qld she did the same speed. We played with the prop a fair bit to get the best performance possible. Lots of talking over longdistance calls....faxes, emails...etc.

post-2057-1171017611_thumb.jpg

Isaac Noble came down with the boat to sort out any little issues...good bloke to come all the way from Qld! :thumbup: According to Isaac, she is the fastest 6.2 they have ever tested and he has tested every Noble ever built

post-2057-1171017643_thumb.jpg

Will be a few weeks to get to know the new boat and her ways but kingies beware!!!! CHeers Kelvin

Kelvin

She looks awesome, just as you'd planned - you've put enough effort into it, I'm glad it seems to be everything you had planned for.

When you get a chance post some more photos of the inside of the boat.

What will you call her?

Evan

:thumbdown:

great machine

i recall you were originally going with a yammy...

why the change of mind to a honda?

CFD

As you rightly say chris, I was originally going to have a 4 stroke Yamaha. A couple of things swayed my mind.

The first was that I couldn't trust the dealership here in sydney. There were a few issues that did not agree with me. Second, the honda has now a 5 year warranty and uses less fuel than the same Hp yammie. Third, I trust Ben and Isaac to set up the boat properly and they are men of their word.

The Honda costs more than the Yamaha but it is quiet and smooth! I changed props several times to get the max performance. Most boats I know are not propped properly and this ensues that you use more fuel and get less performance out of your boat. Some authoritive writers say about 80% of even the test boats are badly propped so who knows how many boats which aren't subject to professional testing are mis propped!!!

Prop issues asaide, the Honda is a very advanced engine with a High cubic capacity. SHould last a while.

You guys should come out with me some time ince things have settled.... She is a great boat for fishing. CHeers Kelvin

Her internal measurements are 6.2 meters with 2.45 meter beam. Overall length is just over 7 meters.

Being aluminium, the weight is far less than a similar boat in fiberglass. Total weight with trailer, fuel,motor and trailer is just under 1800kgs.

James, Props are a HUGE issue with boats. The bigger they get, the more important the props become. I have a cousin who works for Hyundai ship building. They are the biggest ship builders in the world. My cousin's job is to design props.

They use laser cutting and polishing to make the props hydrodynamically efficient as possible. A few tenths of a mm here and there can save a ship one drop of diesel per kilometer. That amounts to a million or more dollars saved in fuel bills per year!!!

For your typical outboard, setting up the right prop isn't that hard but must be done right. There are a few variables to get correct and it is pretty simple but takes time. My boat with its prop flies...44mph isn't hanging around ..that is about 40 knots!!!

I tested another noble 6.2 a year or so ago. Same engine, same boat but it could only get 32-33 knots or so. I knew there were some more gains to be made so we spent the last 3 weeks getting the prop set up right for my boat. DOne via long distance!

I won't need the speed but having the right prop for your boat will mean great fuel economy and less strain on the engine. CHeers Kelvin

I never realised how much of an issue prop's could be.

Yeah its the same with aeroplanes - the prop needs to take into account many factors. Im not an expert, just have flown many model aeroplanes and know that when you put the wrong sized prop on a motor, well, it goes very poorly. The number, size and pitch of the blades are the prop's variables, and i guess that has to be matched to the load and the engine...

Basically with planes, for the same sized RPM, prop and same blade config, blades with a lesser pitch will go slower but will perform a bit better under heavy load, a bit like using a lower gear in a car. If your motor has the omph, then you can ramp the pitch up a bit and go faster and still have power. But as soon as the pitch is to large, well, with a load, you wont get too far if your motor does have the balls to push the volume of air that the prop is contacting.

So many variables! So few brain cells!

Top Boat Kelvin, I love it- but most of all for its sea keeping ability. They eat the rough stuff out there..... I wonder how long beofre the Game Fishing Bug bites you and we'll see you out on the shelf, with riggers flying high??? Only a matter of time my guess with a Weapon like that.

Have you named it yet

All the best, she will serve you well!

Cheers

Anthony

The game fishing bug has already bitten me a LONG time ago Anthony!!! Just didn't have the patience with the kids aboard to do much of it lately. But they are getting older so you'll see me out on the shelf real soon.

I have a name for it "blue frog". It is kind of a name that I have passed on from boat to boat. IT matches this boat as it is blue! Cheers Kelvin

Awesome looking rig Kelvin. :thumbup: Congrats mate.

Look out Seriolas! You may even catch a Flattie in her. :074:

Cheers,

Grant.

The flatties are my FIRST target!!! May have to get that bait jig out to try for them flathead.

By the way most props I have seen are over pitched. Doesn't allow the engine to rev freely and sucks out performanc. Cheers Kelvin

WOW! Another great raiders boat. She looks the goods Kelvin. May all your voyages be happy, prosperous & safe.

PS - Now ya got me thinkin' about props. Would love to know what you think I can do for my boat. Will PM ya if that's ok.

Good looking fishing boat Kelvin. Ever since I got my boat I am yet to bring in a big fish. Have more luck in my dads 3.9mtr tinny.

Just an opinion on props, if your engine can rev within its maxium RPM range of 5000 to 5500 it is more or less proped right. [in my case a 3ltr V6 it revs to 5350 - +]

Having said that there are props for cruising, top speed, mid range, offshore props, it can drive you crazy in the end.

Edited by vision21

Nice Rig Kelvin...whats the trailer that its sitting on? Did you ever consider an E-TEC for the "blue Frog?"

Look forward to seeing it out on the bay...

NEVER considered an E tec!!!

I still remember OMC. THose 3 letters ring fear in my books. I don't like the technology . Just a bit too new for me and my wife gets sea sick when she sniffs 2 stroke exhaust. Cheers Kelvin

I tell you what Danny, the walkaround was the ONLY choice for me. THis layout maximises fishing space and provide some shelter into the bargain.

post-2057-1171175229_thumb.jpg

The front of the boat is already a favourite spot for casting at squid.

post-2057-1171175267_thumb.jpg

The side of the boat is wide enough and deep enough to negotiate in rough seas. I caught a couple of kingies from here today.

The cabin has been a god send. The 2 boys always have a little nap around 9am. They just sleep there and leave me alone!!!

The trailer by the way is a swift Co. The rollers make driving on and driving off a breeze. I handle the boat solo without any drama. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Congrats on getting the new boat finally Kelvin! she looks like a great rig and should give you many hours of pleasure! I totally agree with the importance of correctly propping the boat, it had taken me a few months and a few thosand dollars, not to mention many hours and different props, but i have finally found the right one... i'll put a post up with more detail later on.

Congrats again

Cheers

Sammy