The Noble Has Arrived

namesay

Congrats on getting the new boat finally Kelvin! she looks like a great rig and should give you many hours of pleasure! I totally agree with the importance of correctly propping the boat, it had taken me a few months and a few thosand dollars, not to mention many hours and different props, but i have finally found the right one... i'll put a post up with more detail later on.

Congrats again

Cheers

Sammy

Gees Sammy it sounds like you went through a few props!!! It does make a huge difference and it has to be right otherwise you are short changing yourself. As the boat gets bigger, the props get more important. No real easy way to do this...just trial and error! Luckily for me I got it done prior to delivery so didn't add to the cost side of things but it can be hell having a crap prop.

ALso they need to be replaced regularly if they get a ding or a bump. Stainless steel is the best but better to have a properly set up aluminium prop than a poorly fitted ss one.

By the way gongfisho, I wished I won lotto. The bank balance is looking thin!!! :074:

If you think boats costs alot then think about the taxes I have to pay! Each year I give mr howard approximately 2 Noble super V's!!! Makes you want to cry. :mad3: Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Gees Sammy it sounds like you went through a few props!!! It does make a huge difference and it has to be right otherwise you are short changing yourself. As the boat gets bigger, the props get more important. No real easy way to do this...just trial and error! Luckily for me I got it done prior to delivery so didn't add to the cost side of things but it can be hell having a crap prop.

ALso they need to be replaced regularly if they get a ding or a bump. Stainless steel is the best but better to have a properly set up aluminium prop than a poorly fitted ss one.

Hey Kelvin,

As for my prop selection, the boat came from the factory with a 18P Vengance prop which rocketted out of the hole, but hit full rpm at 2/3 throttle and 35mph, i then looked around, did some calculations and decided i wanted a 21P, i found a 22P Laser2 with some venting and bought it... its basically a ski boat prop with massive raked blades.. the boat was only happy above 25mph which is not always possible even in the bay, that prop saw a tow speed of a very very unstable and dangerous 55mph @ 5800rpm, it would chine walk at full speed and it absolutley chewed fuel plus it made life difficult offshore.

Finally i decided to bite the bullet and get one made for me, so i rang Solas who i spoke to at the Boat show and gave them a whole bunch of details such as displacement, hull deadrise, keel height, previous performance stats, weight balance, motor height, horsepower blah blah blah... from there i was given a number of options as to the different performance characteristics of various different blade designs, low rake, high rake, vented, 4 blade... after even more pondering and discussion i decided to optimise performance strictly for offshore conditions, so a 4 blade stainless was pulled out.. based on our calculations, they designed a 13" diameter by 19" pitch to machine before tweaking up to 20" pitch with some trailing edge cupping. This was going to give me maximum thrust in the water, resulting in excellent bow lift, more stable speeds for trolling, better holeshot and stability at full throttle, the performance figures from the weekend gave me 47-48mph at 5700rpm with a few more rpm in it... but with the extra grip in the water it didn't chine walk or drop the nose into chop...

[end rant/]

Those Solas guys really know their stuff. Great people to talk to. I had the boat set up for off shore performance as well. Pretty much the same criteria that you had. I guess most fishos would be the same.

I really lucked out as it only took 3 prop changes to get it right. The original prop was absolutely hopless. Couldn't rev the enging to its redline etc. The second was over corrected with too little pitch and was chewing up fuel at a rate you wouldn't believe. 3rd time lucky. As a bonus it also turned out to give the boat the highest speed.

You could really spend weeks and months on this but props are a compromise. You can't have the best of all worlds.....just need to get your priorities right. Most people are happy with the props they are given as I suspect, they don't realise what a difference it can make. Also in smaller motors and smaller boats the performance difference between props diminishes.

Most boat dealers don't want anything to do with correctly propping an engine. They just sell an engine with a "standard"prop and off you go. I guess that is why guys like solas are doing good business.

For alll you raiders out there when you consider a new rig, always keep the prop issue in mind. Can make your boating so much more enjoyable. CHeers kelvin

The original prop was absolutely hopless. Couldn't rev the enging to its redline etc.

Kelvin,

I am just wondering why you would like to rev your motor to Redline?

There is no need for this and all it will do is shorten the life of your motor. :wacko:

Kelvin,

I am just wondering why you would like to rev your motor to Redline?

There is no need for this and all it will do is shorten the life of your motor. :wacko:

I know there is no need to rev the engine to redline in regular use but in testing the set up, this is a neccessity. The correct prop should let the engine rev to its redline. If this isn't possible then in all probability your prop is over pitched. It is a bit like starting a car in 3rd gear. It will put a lot of stress on the engine and gearbox...PLUS you will chew up more fuel compared to a better fitted prop.

Most engines get the best balance of fuel/speed at between 4000-4500rpm. That is where most guys would cruise but if you can only reach this RPM at or near full throttle then you really have problems.

In my boat at 4200rpm, I am doing 21 knots and using 19 litres of fuel per hour. That is VERY economical!!! The original prop wouldn't allow this type of economy as the engine was struggling with the higher pitch. It was using 3 litres per hour MORE and also the top speed was only 31 knots (compared to about 40 I have with the current prop) and the engine wouldn't rev to its redline.

I made sure these tests were done with full fuel and a load that simulated what I would normally carry! Bait tanks full, extra kilos for fishing tackle etc. I expect the fuel figure to drop once the engine is properly run in.

So even if you will never reach redline, the prop should allow this to occur. If not, then you should really look at changing props. CHeers KElvin

Edited by namesay

Guy's

I am Fairly new top the whole boating scene and I have a brand new Tohatsu 50 and when I open her up WOT I get (acording to the speedo on my sounder) 28-32 knots deepending on the payload I am carrying.

I was wondering the engine sits at 5400 rpm at WOT is there a general agreement that I should be able to redline her or not I didnt think so before reading this post but now I am not so sure

Any help from any of you guys would be awesome

Cheers

John

Congrats Kelvin on your new pride and joy, :thumbup:

I'm sure she would server you well in the future,

I too totally agree with you on the impotence of a "right" prop, I've also play around with a few prob before deciding on one that I think would suite the boat and the engine, I was lucky in a sinse the dealer where I brought the boat from was more then helpful and supply me with a few different prop so I could play around with it.

From the look on you little ones face, they to are ecstatic about the new toy.. can't wait until my son is old enough to accompany me on a fishing trip. :yahoo:

Hope to see blue frog up our way .

Cheers

Dave

Edited by predator

Congrats Kelvin on your new price and joy, :thumbup:

I'm sure she would sever you will in the future,

I to totally agree with your on the impotence of a "right" prop, I've also play around with a few pro before deciding on one that I think would suite the boat and the engine, I was lucky in a sense the dealer where I brought the boat from was more then helpful and supply my with a few different prop so I could play around with it.

From the look on you little ones face, they to are ecstatic about the new toy.. can't wait until my son is old enough to accompany me on a fishing trip. :yahoo:

Hope to see blue frog up our way .

Cheers

Dave

mate, you've got yourself about three unfortunate typos there

I like the name 'blue frog'.. I think everyone should stay from puns with their boat names !