Sydney Harbour 10/02/07

netic

Hey guys, well after a long absence from sydney harbour i decided to go and see what all the fuss was about.

Downrigger and I got to the ramp at around 5.00am to be greeted by Big Steve and Peking Duck, after a quick chat we decided to go our seperate ways in search of squid......

Went to gather the squid and we ended up with 1 Baby cuttle and 2 massive squid....35cm+......But we lost about 6, 3 of them at the boat..spewing.....

At about 6.30am we were moving to another squid spot when noticed some birds working, went over and found a school of kings busting up....great we thought a school all to ourselves......before long this school turned in to 7-8 separate schools all covering an area of about 1km......got straight on the phone to Steve and Peking to tell them to come down....

We first started throwing sluggos at them without success, then we tried a few other lures still without success.....so we decided to throw the cuttle at them.....then bang....after a short fight a king boated just on legal.

Then we decided to strip up one of the large squid, then as soon as we casted it into the school we were on...this time an undersize one....tagged him and let him swim away....

Then the boats started to arrive as by now the birds were everywhere......Steve and peking got there too and i'll let them write their own reports...

When the boats got there they went a little shy..within 20 minutes there was well over 25 boats and not many hook ups.....a few here and there.....so we decided to get some strips on the downriggers and just cruise the area.....over the next hour we got 6 more, only one was legal and the rest were released so we dont know exactly how many we got......

Then the schools started to fade out and we scored a tailor of about 35cm.......

We got a little bored of chasing the small schools that were left so we decided to go the Cilfton gardens for a feed and saw Penguin there, All i can say is he has a Very Very Very Very Nice boat.....had a quick chat with him and his mates and we then ate and left.

Decided to Downrigg around North Head searching for a nice hoody but didnt get anything unfortunately, Bumped into 445F at Bluefish and he was heading offshore so i hope he did well.

So overall it was an ok day seeing we scored a couple of legals as my :wife: Aunty wanted some kings and we had some fun fishing with other raiders. Shame we couldnt get any bigger ones....

congrats on the kings,

i probably did three laps of the harbour today trying to find some surface activity! every time I went left they must have gone right! :thumbdown:

I saw you guys over at the wave bouy at quarentine, i was in the white and red half cabin, I had no luck there but spoke to another boat that I saw there back at the ramp and those boys got a couple of legals , smoked a couple of times and hooked up to a big shark, the guy that hooked it had to jump on to no no nos boat and chase! lots of big boys with teeth around!

Brett.

netic smile mate :biggrin2: well done sounds like you had a good morning

Mate i never sem to be smiling in almost every photo....the shutter catches me at the worst time.

hey netic how are ya.

nice catch mate.

im just curious as to what the tags are for?

Mate i tag all my released Kings so if they are ever recaptured fisheries can use the info to help, Movements, Growth rates etc......They also contact me if they are evered recaptured and tell me the details.

Netic you are a champion.

Thanks for the call. Only Ended up with a legal kingy on bream gear and a bonito there before the school went down.

We were over near Manly chasing a small school of kings at the time, but they were very flighty and would dive before we could get in range.

We downrigged squid around the heads for naught.

Edited by pekingduck

Top stuff netic, good to see you and a few others got into a few surface fish!

25 boats to one school of fish must have really sucked!!!! I probably would have left to find another school!

Could you see any bonnies mixed in with the kings?

I went again on friday, landed around 30 tailor, 4 bonnies and 3 kings..

Mate where do you get that tagging device from? Does it have to be registered with nsw fisheries?

DAN

Edited by Luringbream

Top stuff netic, good to see you and a few others got into a few surface fish!

25 boats to one school of fish must have really sucked!!!! I probably would have left to find another school!

Could you see any bonnies mixed in with the kings?

I went again on friday, landed around 30 tailor, 4 bonnies and 3 kings..

Mate where do you get that tagging device from? Does it have to be registered with nsw fisheries?

DAN

Mate its not a device, Its a bunch of Tags with a tool to tag them, the tags come with cards that you complete and send in to fisheries...

You can get the tags from NSW fisheries for Free, Just give them a call....

From what i could tell there were Bonnies, Tailer. Salmon and Kings mixed in together

Mate its not a device, Its a bunch of Tags with a tool to tag them, the tags come with cards that you complete and send in to fisheries...

You can get the tags from NSW fisheries for Free, Just give them a call....

From what i could tell there were Bonnies, Tailer. Salmon and Kings mixed in together

Will do, thanks mate..

DAN

Nice report Netic, well done on the Kings. Good on you for sharing the action with other raiders.

We did not fair well offshore, didn't turn a reel. Tried jigging for 45 minutes, before downrigging north head for nothing again. Our trip was no where near as exciting and successful as yours.

Hope to be able to write a report worth reading about soon...