Kings And Nobles

namesay

I went out today to try out my new boat . It was built to fish so come rain , wind or hail I was going out.

I went out with my 2 boys and my father. My father is prone to seasickness but he wanted to ride in the new Noble.

Got to the ramp at 6 am. The Noble is a big mutha ( for a trailer boat ) but handles easily and soon we were out squidding. My 4 year old son got the first squid. He has learnt to cast in recent weeks and was so proud to have caught the squid all by himself. Within half an hour we had enough bait for a session.

The Noble was fitted out for downrigging so that was what I tried first. Earlier in the morning I passed Rzee. I promised him that I'll keep him informed if I got onto some kings.

The action was pretty hot from the word go. WE got hit after hit from a school of kings hanging around a bait ball. My new sounder the furuno fcv585 is absolutely amazing :1yikes: . Its ability to discriminate targets is almost like looking through the water yourself!!! I could clearly see the kings hanging adjacent to the bait school. In fact I could predict when the downrigger would go off as I passed a patch of kings. It freaked my father no end. :thumbup: I really can't wait to get this sounder wired....all this was from auto!

I thought that my garmin was good but compared to the furuno, it was like walking in the dark.

I got onto some better fish 70-85cm models simply by changing depths to match the bigger fish signals on my sounder!!!!

post-2057-1171176419_thumb.jpg

By now Tony joined us but he had no downrigger...he is off to get one today!!

I quickly ran out of squid so I decided to go and catch a few more. By now the harbour was getting busy but we got some more bait.

3 squid-3 kings. I kept 5 for the table and for some mates and released the rest.

post-2057-1171176583_thumb.jpg

The Noble did everything it was designed to do. The chop and swell in the harbour was handled with utter ease.

post-2057-1171176752_thumb.jpg

A good way to start the fishing career of my new boat. ALready smells like KINGS! Now bring on the flatties.ANother good day on the kings Cheers Kelvin

That's just amazing.

How fantastic it must be to drop a bait almost onto the nose of a fish, say here we go, and indeed hook up.

That's gotta be cheating... :074::074::074:

Well done and your new boat is just awsome, congratulations. All that hard work has paid off for you.

Cheers

David.

Nice way to bloody the boat Kelvin and congrats on the fish. Good to see the little one having fun out there too.

Great looking boat by the way and interesting to read your comments about the furuno 585. After a lot of research I've decided to go with this unit as well. Now to get the best price I can.

Cheers

Kurt

Nice way to bloody the boat Kelvin and congrats on the fish. Good to see the little one having fun out there too.

Great looking boat by the way and interesting to read your comments about the furuno 585. After a lot of research I've decided to go with this unit as well. Now to get the best price I can.

Cheers

Kurt

THe large screen furuno is better than I had anticipated. I had seen it being used in a couple of other boats and it impressed me no end....however, I think it is much better than I had thought.

In the fairly shallow waters of Sydney harbour, this sounder does it with utter contempt. The target discrimination is absolutely fantastic. My garmin is a great unit don't get me wrong but the furuno is in another class altogether. A bit like comparing the olympics with little athletics!!! The amount of information especially of the fish targets is astounding.

I have yet to fully utlise the abilities of this sounder ...give me a couple of months but even in auto I was able to clearly see the kings, bait and the bigger kings as we trolled around. My Garmin would only show bait balls and the odd arch here and there. Couldn't really tell how big the bait was.

THe furuno has so much more information especially with the screen split for dual that I felt like I was cheating. The digital processor is a leap ahead of anything else. Only the high end raymarine units are as good. I could even tell the size of individual bait fish and the extent of the bait schools.

As for pricing, furuno has come down a LOT in the last year. You'll find the prices here in oz match that of what you'll find o'seas on the net. You'll love the unit.Cheers Kelvin

Congratualtions kelvin on your first outing and a fantastic day.

I wish you all the best with King fishing and hope you can start getting those Hoodlums in the harbour.

Watching the downrigger and knowing when the fish are about to hit is the best movie I watch all the time :)

Good Luck Champ

:thumbup:

Marco

Hi Kelvin

Mate congrats on the new boat, and your usal excellence in king catching, not calling what u do fishing u r just too good ;)

The noble looks like a sensational ride,

Would b interested in a PM about the Yammie dealer.

All good fishing ;) going to Port this coming wkend want to bring it up and blue water fish it.

Jon

nice work yet agian there kelvin well done,,

that noble sure does look like a fishing machine..

also the furunos are a top unit my unit is VERY similar to urs and its amazing what they

can pick up, bottom structure ect ect

i nneed to learn more on the features thou as mines only set to auto also..

so many different things to play with on it..

anyway gr8 work on the kings

cheers steve :1fishing1:

Kelvin,

The good thing with the Furuno I think is that you you may pay more initially but you future proof yourself to a larger degree than other manufaturers. Doing some O/S research and they seem to have dropped their price as well recently but I'd like to buy here and keep it localand be able to ask for help if the difference in $$'s isn't to great. Did you go with the 600W or the 1 Kw transducer?

Cheers

Kurt

Nice going again Kelvin !!! Amazing the differences in Sounders !!! As if you need any more assistance from technology to nail the fish !!! Watch out you harbour Seriolas, run for your lives Kelvin with his new improved boat and sounder is coming .....

Very very nice boat indeed, you are right, it is amazing how big the boats look when they are out of the water.

So how was the ride on the Noble? Can you easily launch and retrieve the boat by yourself?

Edited by 445F

Nice work again Kelvin!!! :thumbup: I think I'm just going to make up a template for your fishing reports.

"Nice fish Kelvin, Nice report Kelvin, Thanks for the tips Kelvin" :1prop:

Seriously thanks for your reports and the in depth way you approach them.

Cheers and waiting for the next chapter.

Evil

Kelvin,

The good thing with the Furuno I think is that you you may pay more initially but you future proof yourself to a larger degree than other manufaturers. Doing some O/S research and they seem to have dropped their price as well recently but I'd like to buy here and keep it localand be able to ask for help if the difference in $$'s isn't to great. Did you go with the 600W or the 1 Kw transducer?

Cheers

Kurt

I have the 600 watt transducer . I have seen the same set up in a few other boats and the 600w transducer is more than adequate for my use. The 1kw transducer will be useful if you regularly go beyond the continental shelf bottom bashing but even the 600w transducer will cover this water..not as well but does the job. CHeers Kelvin

Nice going again Kelvin !!! Amazing the differences in Sounders !!! As if you need any more assistance from technology to nail the fish !!! Watch out you harbour Seriolas, run for your lives Kelvin with his new improved boat and sounder is coming .....

Very very nice boat indeed, you are right, it is amazing how big the boats look when they are out of the water.

So how was the ride on the Noble? Can you easily launch and retrieve the boat by yourself?

THe ride in the Noble is something else. You can be the judge when you go out next time!!! Eats up the choppy water like it was Mc DOnalds :1prop:

The sounder is just great. I wished you had a better sounder on your boat. All this technology really helps. I could actually spot the bigger kings amongst the bait and the smaller kingies. It was just a simple matter of dropping the bait to the level where the bigger fish were holding and WHAM...

The bigger screen makes a HUGE difference to how effectively you can distinguish everything. Just a classy unit.

The spot I was fishing is notorious for small rat kings but I was able to extract a few in the 70-80cm class just by studying my sounder. That has got to be good.

The lauching and retrieving is a breeze. The trailer is set up really well for this and I just drive on and drive off. Infact I have to be careful when launching as the boat when unclipped she wants to slide in the water before I can get on! SHe is definitely an easy boat to handle. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

THe ride in the Noble is something else. You can be the judge when you go out next time!!! Eats up the choppy water like it was Mc DOnalds :1prop:

you and your similies Kelvin, what was it last time? "Like a bucket of antlers"?!!

congrats on a great boat and the kings to go with it! Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh sometime

Bloody fine catch there Kelvin - five very healthy looking kings! They're still my No. 1 target species but, fishing out of Brisbane Water, I don't get much opportunity to chase them. Too many flatties and not enought kingies - sounds like I have the exact opposite problem to you!!

Good on your young son by the way - casting and catching his first squid. Those boys will be kingfish masters before they're 15.

Great report once again.

Hey Guys,

Long time since i've posted..

I didnt mind the weather and chop but i must admit i was frustrated with no fish..

Klevin got em in one buy one and made it look so easy..

I had some live squid i got in the morning but i couldnt get them down enough as the kings were just a couple of meters off the bottom.

Kelvin congrats on your new boat, some great effort and thoughts in the set up...

I just wanna ask a couple of questions that i'd like to share with the raiders..

I could clearly see the bait ball but i couldnt spot the kings.. the sounder isnt the best but i think i should be able to tell if i had the experience.

Is it the depth? bait ball on top and kings at the bottom?

besides, just with the bait ball, how do you know that it's not a school of sweep, jackets or whatever..

i desperately need some sounder knowledge!!

by the way im buying a down rigger this week.. what is a good model for the harbour?

which one do you use?

thanks again for your help Kelvin, you are truely making alot of raiders including me better kingy fishermen.

Tony