Over Rated Sea-food

adznapper

Hi 2 all

I went for a dive at Ballambi on saturday and got 2 nice size lobsters.

The water was very dirty but it paid off,there was way more life in the water, then around where i normally go ?????( shellharbour area)

I made lobster mornay,

I reckon there is better things to eat then lobster.

What do you reckon???????

Hi 2 all

I went for a dive at Ballambi on saturday and got 2 nice size lobsters.

The water was very dirty but it paid off,there was way more life in the water, then around where i normally go ?????( shellharbour area)

I made lobster mornay,

I reckon there is better things to eat then lobster.

What do you reckon???????

I like 'em, but I don't believe they're worth the money you pay for them. A well cooked Blue Swimmer or Mud Crab will do me anytime. I don't think Mornay is the cooking method of choice for me. Plain boiled in some salty water with a teaspoon of sugar added in is best crustaceans.

Just eat it like a big prawn. Yumm.

Balmain Bugs over Lobsters any day for me.

I've never heard a bad word about the Mowies for a feed gongfisho but i pulled up a 1.5kg number on a charter last summer and when i got it on the table my mate and i took one bite and had to abandon it, had a pizza at the door in half an hour, real soapie we both agreed.

Cheers,

Mark

I wouldn't bag anyone out for going and getting a feed of whatever was legal but it seems a waste of such a big beautiful creature for such little meat with regards to Lobsters.

Davo

When I was in Brisbane I had something called Moreton Bay bugs which had a similar taste to lobsters and I would imagine they would be much cheaper compared to lobsters. I really liked them. Anyone else tried those before?

I had em in Brissie as well,tasted fantastic. :thumbup:

They are called Balmain Bugs in Sydney.

Never tried em in Syd,the name turns me off,

reminds me of a polluted waterway.

penguin

I had em in Brissie as well,tasted fantastic. :thumbup:

They are called Balmain Bugs in Sydney.

Never tried em in Syd,the name turns me off,

reminds me of a polluted waterway.

penguin

Don't you believe it Penguin. My favourite by far and i'm a picky bastard! Plus anything associated with the greatest football team to ever grace the paddock has to be good!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by costa

I wouldn't bag anyone out for going and getting a feed of whatever was legal but it seems a waste of such a big beautiful creature for such little meat with regards to Lobsters.

Davo

I dont know what lobsters you have been eaten mate, they have shitloads of meat! the only part you dont eat is the head...im not a big fan of mornay though i reckon it ruins the flavour, also prefer a blue swimmer floater anyday..

all in all yeah i reckon they are overated

cheers

Joe

With Lobsters, IMHO I'd rate heres how I'd rate them in order of taste

1. Southern Rock Lobster

2. Eastern Rock Lobster

3. WA Rock lobster.

In Southern Rocklobsters the meat goes right up into the head and beacause of this has

more meat the the eastern & wa and gets a higher price in Asia because of this.

( Any one you caught yourself would top the list as you didnt pay $50 per kg+ for it )

I've never had a painted lobster from QLD but with nearly all fish & crustacean

the colder water varieties usually have a better flavour. Thats is probably why things like Patagonian

tooth fish and Maine Lobsters are so popular.

I rate Blue swimmer claws as by far the best tasting crustacean meat, and I know the SA ones

taste far better than the QLD ones, I can't rate the nsw as I've ONLY caught them in Middle harbour and havent been game enough to eat one.... And I'd rather XO King Prawns over crays any day.

Try cutting a baguette in half, toasting it, spread with butter and mayonaise, top with a 1 inch layer of fresh

blue swimmer crab meat, then on top of the crab place camembert cheese slices. Place back under the

grill until the camembert melts....... You'll never have a better breakfast!

Jason

Have you tried the poor mans lobster???

I have allways thrown the ugly things back.

There comes a time in a young man's life when its time to try diffrent things and Iam glad i did,

GOOD SH#T more flavour then a lobster and no one wants.

how long to you boil for if you don,t mine me asking

ta

Thats is probably why things like Patagonian

tooth fish and Maine Lobsters are so popular.

I have never tried Patagonian tooth fish, are they seabass?? i tried to order one from several seafood shops a few years ago but no one seemed to be able to get ahold of one, i finally found one and they were going to charge me about 200+ bux. Where do you get a hold of it, do you know any restaurants that serve it?

Try cutting a baguette in half, toasting it, spread with butter and mayonaise, top with a 1 inch layer of fresh

blue swimmer crab meat, then on top of the crab place camembert cheese slices. Place back under the

Jason

Man that sounds good, im definately gonna have to give that a crack

cheers

Joe

Jason

Personally i think camembert would totally overpower the natural flavour of the crab

I dont know what lobsters you have been eaten mate, they have shitloads of meat! the only part you dont eat is the head...im not a big fan of mornay though i reckon it ruins the flavour, also prefer a blue swimmer floater anyday..

all in all yeah i reckon they are overated

cheers

Joe

Wettinalin

Next lobbie you catch do a weighit and tell me the % edible flesh you get.

davo