Sunday 11-02-07 How Plans Can Change!

Reel Addiction

Had planned to fish the Botaany bay point score with Steve (outwide), Brett (tun'o'Fun) and Bennie onboard, we made these plans a few weeks ago.

Mett down at the St George motor boat club at 5.00am and where greeted with a 15 knot wind and lightening all over the place, not looking good

We decided to give it an hour and see if it was going to pass and listen to Fishing show on the radio to see if they could give us any info on the storms movement, after an hour the storm wasnt going anywhere just looking worse and worse so the call was made to give it a miss, we had a look around th marina at all the big game boats and a bit of a dream and then we where off home and brett was off to get some sleep as he had work that night.

In the car and off home as i was following steve along the princess hwy he called me and we had a bit of a chat and agreeing that we where both going to be up anyway as it would be impossible to get back to sleep so the topic of port stephens came up, after hearing that Ross hunter had gotten 12 marlin on saturday, we swang by steves place checked the weather up there and the currents all looked beautiful, called Bennie but he was unable to come as he was carless (sorry mate if we had more time i would have picked you up) so me and steve 2.5 hrs off to port stephens.

Arrive at the ramp at 12.00 get the boat in the water at little beach grab a deep fried seafood lunch from the take away, put the throttle down and head for the car park and hour later we are 3 km away and there are about 20-30 boats all live baiting and both the hunter boats where there.

Us not having an time to make bait we set the spread and began trolling towards them just as i finished positioning the lures went to sit down and BANG the rigger gets hit and then dropped which was lucky as the tag line wrapped around the main line when the band broke, could have been a disaster, i brought the lure in to check that it was still alright dropped it back in and started letting it bck to its position about half way there the lures starts swimming off and then starts screaming off into strike and set the hook and i am on the fish starts running and after a 20-30min great fight with lots of arieal work a approx 70-80 kg striped marlin is tagged and had his portrait taken then he was on his way, he was a cranky fella to gave me a couple of nice scars on the paint work of the boat, and was kicking the whole time we had his bill asoon as he was released he swam off to fight another day

Set the spread back out continued to troll around the boats for an hour or so then began to troll home we got a hit on the shottie on 15kg but didnt hook up, the weather started to turn the pulled in the lures and headed home, back on the tralier and back home.

Got back to sydney and the boat got the best was of its life the heaviest rain i have ever seen, dropped steve off put the boat to bed and got home at 11.30pm

WHAT A DAY, the things you do for fishing

Thanks to steve great company mate look foward to the next adventure and bennie mate you are on the boat and on stike next time i am out for sure.

Heres a snap of the cranky fella, hard to get a photo as he was still very green

Cheers

Iain

Well done Guys!, you could have rung me Steve! i was doing nothing! But not to worry! ALways next time!

The Car Park is 22 miles from Port, in ESE direction.

Hiya

MAte great work, it is such an awesome fishery isn't it.

I am going up this wkend for anther big fish ;)

Top effort and committment to do a change of plan drive, but how good is it to have a plan and have it work.

Mate I am fishing up there this weekend witha cpl of guys if u r interested give em a buzz.

jon

Hiya

MAte great work, it is such an awesome fishery isn't it.

I am going up this wkend for anther big fish ;)

Top effort and committment to do a change of plan drive, but how good is it to have a plan and have it work.

Mate I am fishing up there this weekend witha cpl of guys if u r interested give em a buzz.

jon

Thabks for the offer mate i will be fishing abord with dave on offtap, should be awsome, his boat is an absolute machine i saw it the other day properly for the first time should be aswome, we will have to catch up, up there.

You are the pro up there mate 8-7-4 was your last effort up there wasnt it, we wil be following you around for sure.

Thanks for all the replies guys, was an absolutly huge day i still havent recovered from it

It is a great waterway up there though great bay and facilities (well what i saw of it) and lots of bait in the water and birds flying around, looking foward to the PFT and seeing a few of you blokes up there.

Cheers

Iain