License

Nel

I've just been down to Fishfinder Bait and Tackle to pay for my yearly fishing license and was told that i can't pay cash but have to pay by EFTPOS only! Unfortunately, Christmas blew my budget out and my mastercard is at it's max. I was told I could pay cash if I went into the RTA to pay it.... I was on my lunch break and don't have the tiem to go sit in a qeue...

I may be going fishing tomorrow morning with my son. If a fisheries officer is around, I'll let them know exactly why I haven't got a license on me. It will NOT stop me from gonig if I so wish.

P&**ed off

:1badmood:

Yes lots of ways to obtain a Licence but most involve electronic means these days.

You can also get from some servos.

Some places use electronic means and some do a handwritten version.

Perhaps you could deposit your cash into your acct and then use eftpos.

It may cost a lot more if you get fined for not having one.

Happy hunting

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Good to hear you managed to pickup a license!!!!!!!! its just not worth not having 1 mate you maybe PO :1badmood: at getting the run around,,, but its better than the alternative 200bucks on the spot fine, an perhaps more depending upon whats in your esky! this I know from personal experience when compulsory fishing licenses were introduced about 5yrs back an I got sprung!

My bad! I had to wear it!!!!! No excuses accepted!

Speaking of which i gotta renew mine in 3weeks. Good to hear your all sorted out now :1fishing1:

Dan

while on the subject, i have a eftpos type recipt license, which wont take too kindly to being laminated...

is it possibul to get a card type one?im not fussed about cost, will even renew or get a 3 year one if it comes in type that i can laminate. the paper that it is printed on atm wont last the remaining 6 months in my wallet ;)

Possibly correct lasty and that is of course vendor's choice.

That is the way things are going isn't it. Very soon it will be a cashless society.

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

I think it has more to do with who covers the bank charges for EFTPOS!

Scope,

I purchase my licence as a 3 year licence and it comes pre-laminated.

really? i bought a 3 year one but it was just paper, it was he hand written one. and i just laminated it with that clear book cover stuff.

dont depend on servos! when our licences expired we drove around all morning, servo to servo, couldnt find one that sold them anymore. :1badmood:

FYI

We do fishing licences,you can pay either cash or plastic.

we have the hand written licences

You see, Watto is able to take cash. I just wish there was some uniformity and it was the same everywhere. The impression I got was that the only place I could pay cash for my license was at the RTA. Funnily enough, i didn't even know the RTA did fishing licenses!

Nel

The reason why most vendors only take eftpos is because,

Eftpos machines are basically a modem, when you do a eftpos transaction the vendors eftpos machine dials into your banks server and deducts money from your account. The fisheries have taken advantage of this system and setup there own server that can be dialed into via an eftpos machine, it then generates a receipt with your fishing license...this method also makes your fishing license instantly recognisable by the NSW fisheries as it is entered into their database via the eftpos transaction. Vendors that accept cash for fishing licenses, im not sure what they do...perhaps they put the transaction through later on in the day? or maybe they have web interface they can enter it through?

Correct me if im wrong but thats my understanding of it...

Cheers

Joe

That's a good point, Wettingaline. The only thing that has me confused is that there are still many places able to use the old system (eg watto's). I always thought that making it as easy as possible to pay for your license should be a priority. Obviously if for whatever reason someone gets the runaround, in particular a part time fisho that wets his line a couple of times a year, they may be tempted to say 'bugger this' and just fish without a license. Sure it's a risk but I've never had my license asked for so how much lost revenue is potentially out there?

another point, someone wants a 3 day license... how much is that? $5.00?? who in the right mind wants to put through a $5.00 transaction on a credit card with the fees involved etc?? Are the retail outlets going to say that there is a minimum of $x and have the customer forced to spend up on other items in their particular store??

Ok, I might be slightly pedantic, but I'm looking at the various situations that may arise. I may be cynical as well, having come from a time when fishing was a right, not a privilege. Oh well...

Cheers

Nel

another point, someone wants a 3 day license... how much is that? $5.00?? who in the right mind wants to put through a $5.00 transaction on a credit card with the fees involved etc?? Are the retail outlets going to say that there is a minimum of $x and have the customer forced to spend up on other items in their particular store??

Cheers

Nel

Nel When licences were first released many tackle stores had them available partly as a service , even though there was no revenue to the store but it did bring in potential customers who may purchase other products.

But what many experienced , it takes the same time to write out a 3 year licence as a 5 day. In my view that is a fault of the system . 3 day & perhaps 1 month licences should be available like a train ticket. Pay the money & fill in the issue date. All done in 15 seconds

If writing out licences especially if there were a group of 3 or 4 then other customers wishing to purchase gear were being neglected.

The other aspect , there were stories of pilfering. Store owner , perhaps by himself whilst writing licences was not able to keep an eye on what others in the shop were doing.

At the end of the day most considered it just not worth while so decided to no longer carry licences

Geoff

Nel When licences were first released many tackle stores had them available partly as a service , even though there was no revenue to the store but it did bring in potential customers who may purchase other products.

But what many experienced , it takes the same time to write out a 3 year licence as a 5 day. In my view that is a fault of the system . 3 day & perhaps 1 month licences should be available like a train ticket. Pay the money & fill in the issue date. All done in 15 seconds

If writing out licences especially if there were a group of 3 or 4 then other customers wishing to purchase gear were being neglected.

The other aspect , there were stories of pilfering. Store owner , perhaps by himself whilst writing licences was not able to keep an eye on what others in the shop were doing.

At the end of the day most considered it just not worth while so decided to no longer carry licences

Geoff

Spot on Geoff. The fishing stores asked Fisheries for some form of commission or compensation for selling the licences and when fisheries refused a lot of them stopped selling the licences, particularly the hand written ones!

I had the opposite problem to you where a certain tackle store refused to sell me a license because i wanted to use Eftpos, they told me all the money goes to the fisheries and if i pay with eftpos they will have to foot the bill for the bank fees so it costs them money.

When i got home i looked up the fisheries website and noticed they were a Standard agent and actually receive comission from the sales of licenses, that place will now never see another dollar of mine :mad3:

Heres the info for people who wish to read it so you dont get spun bullshit like i did.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreation...r_agent_network