Hawkesbury River.

mako1

Decided to give the Hawkesbury a try as we hadn't been there for a year.

Got there at 7:30am and went off to drop the crab traps.With the traps in we went and positioned the boat over a hole about 600m away.In went the bream and jewfish baits.I had a black crab out close to the shore,a nipper in the hole,a piece of chicken gut near on the dropoff,a butterflied mackerel in the hole and a live poddie mullet in the hole.The baits were out for an hour when we noticed a small houseboat approaching our traps.They motored around abit before they decided to pick one up.I yelled out and they quickly dropped it and went and fished about 50m away from them.We were going to go over but as we had all of the lines in the water we continued to fish while keeping an eye on the traps.We ended up getting some small jewfish between 20cm and 30cm,a catfish and one keeper bream.The traps had been in for acouple of hours so we decided to pick them up and move them to Dangar Island and fish the flats.As we were reeling in the lines a small inflatable came up to one of the traps and began to lift it.I yelled out and instead of going they started going to the other traps alot quicker.They got through five traps by the time we were ready to go,but it didn't look like they took any crabs as it would have taken a while to untangle them.They then went for the shallows close to the shore but as it was high tide it didn't stop us chasing them.

We finally cornered them and some colourful language was thrown at them.They were very quiet and didn't have any response to our questions as to why they were lifting our traps.We left them and went to pick up the traps.They went to the small houseboat which had picked up the traps the first time so that must have been the tender for the houseboat.They then came back and started zooming between our traps.By this stage our Brown's mountain sinkers,the piece of hardwood we had or even the gaff to puncture the inflatable were looking very tempting.They continued to go between the traps and at one stage we nearly went after them again and if we did they would have swam back to shore,if they could swim after we were finished with them,but we thought to ourselves that it's not worth it because in the end we probably would have been the ones in trouble and the boat wasn't even theirs so we would have been liable for any damages.Also we had no proof so they would have denied lifting the traps.They were just idiots out to ruin someones day.

They finally left and on the upside we ended up with five nice crabs.We went to Dangar Island and dropped the traps and fished nearby.There were heaps of small bream and tarwine and we only managed one keeper bream.We then went for a drift but didn't get a fish.We decided to pick up the traps and call it a day.Only managed one more crab.

It was a nice day on the water,exept for the idiots,but the fishing was poor.The water was very brown from the rain and the tides were really running so that might have been the problem.

Here is the pic of the catch.

post-2229-1171753030_thumb.jpg

good report mate and nice results...

gee there are some real idiots out there who dont know how to give up!!! wise choice on leaving them alone as others would have been very tempted to let them have it and gotten themselves in some serious trouble be it with the boat company or the law..

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

The hide of some people!! :1badmood:

Next time Mako, take their picture in the act and the rego number of their boat and give Fisheries a call ASAP

on 0419185525

They'll take care of them.

Probably not a good idea to get into an argument with them at close range as you don't know what they might

have on board to do damage to you.

Glad you managed to make a good day out of it in spite of those thoughtless morons.

Pete.

What you can do is get the name of the particular houseboat and the name of the hire company and report that to Fisheries. They will then go to the hire company get the name of the people who hired it on that particular day and they've got 'em

There's always going to be people like that, thats the problem :( Main thing is you got something good out of the day, best to take some action as suggested above I think. Hate it when people just go out of their way to purposely ruin your day.

Is this a nsw wide number or just the Hawksbury

I believe that number is for all of Sydney, both North and South.

Perhaps the better number to call is the Fisheries Hotline

to report illegal activities... 1800 043 536.

Here is the info they require when you report an incident:

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/general/illegal

It may be worth putting the last number in your phone contacts list.

Cheers,

Pete.

Sorry to hear about your crap day. It only takes one idiot to spoil the day for many. If its crabs you are after, haed up to Brisbane Waters. There is plenty, and no dick heads.

davo

The hide of some people!! :1badmood:

Next time Mako, take their picture in the act and the rego number of their boat and give Fisheries a call ASAP

on 0419185525

They'll take care of them.

Probably not a good idea to get into an argument with them at close range as you don't know what they might

have on board to do damage to you.

Glad you managed to make a good day out of it in spite of those thoughtless morons.

Pete.

Thanks for the number Pete,I'll keep it on the boat just in case it happens again.

I didn't have the camera with me so I don't have any proof and I stupidly forgot to take the number of the houseboat.I just couldn't believe how arrogant these idiots were,trying to provoke us even though they were in the wrong.

This did happen before to us about two years ago in the same spot.We were coming back in and noticed a hire tinnie lifting the traps and we did get photos.We then raced up to them gaffs in hand.They basically crapped themselves.They were very appologetic and looked very embaresed.They gave us back our nine crabs and took off.We contacted the boat hire company and let them know and sent them the photoes but I never found out what happened.