Parra River Carp

Anti-Carp

Since draining the river we've noticed that the carp were holing up in a deep hole. We berleyed up with bread on the surface and managed to get the carp feeding off the surface.

We got a couple in quick time before calling a day the two fish I would estimate between 2.5 to 3.5 kilo's. They go hard and are great fun on light line

post-3102-1171783497_thumb.jpg

Gotta agree Anti-Carp, they do fight well & are great fun on light gear. I had a bit of fun with one today for about 4 mins. He really didn't wanna come in. Had two good runs off my new baitcaster & Chronarch 50Mg. Which was a thrill. I think he knew what lay ahead for him & thus the fight. He eventually came in & got his end quickly.

What's the go with the tail fin's?

Do they have some sort of tail rot?

I think your right. The carp have gone through a lot lately with the river been drained and the river was flooded it woudln't surprise me.

They are fairly hardy suckers.

Your not wrong there,

I have seen them in the Darling river near Broken hill and it was debatable whether the water was more dirt than mud!

The buggers where still keen for a feed though!

Quite like the idea of a carp bashing social. :beersmile:

Anyone want to organise it?

Here's one we prepared earlier :1prop:

Carp Comp

Could be a little far for most to travel though.

Do ya think some Raiders might travel to Orange? I would love to help organise something here but it might take a while to get off the ground. One things for sure the Carp ain't goin' anywhere in a hurry.

Dunno, just a thought. Maybe you guys can find more suitable grounds closer to home for this?

PS - I just love the fact that the smilies here drink Guinness :074:

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Edited by Boofhead

Hey Boofhead,

Thanx for the invo, we may be interested. alway's keen for a carp bash.

Lake Cargelligo how far from Sydney is that and how long does it take to get there?

What camping arrangements are available? Can you camp at the lake?

What are the boating regulations for this area?

Sorry for my ignorance never fished anywhere near here.

Don't like guiness either: but there are no emoticons sculling lager, so had to settle for the black death :tease: LOL.

Regards, Rod.

Rod

To be honest I really don't know much about the Lake for boats etc. I have a contract running up there at the moment (On hold due to major breakdown, back end of Feb I hope) Next visit I'll take some pics for you & suss out local info. Until then I can tell you this;

Lake Cargelligo is about 550 klms from Sydney (Like I said, fair old hike. Take a sandwich for the trip :1prop: ) I'd allow 7 hours! (plus 1 to drop the carton off at my place in Orange! :biggrin2: )

From memory there are two motels there, not much difference in prices or standards (Average country motels)

Camping shouldn't be an issue, there is a caravan park & also Lake Cargelligo certainly doesn't lack "Space"

I am pretty sure you can camp around the lake but I'll find out if the distance doesn't scare ya.

With regards to the boating regs, I'm not really sure what you mean by regs? Boats are allowed on the Lake as far as I know (Again, I'll find out for ya next visit in a few weeks) I'd imagine water levels may be an issue for anything on the med to large draft side. Tinnies would be excellent.

Stay tuned, I'll post a recon report after my next trip which like I said should be within the next few weeks. If not I'll be broke by then anyway :074:

Jeezus, Sorry Anti-Carp, We've hijacked your post! I'll remove this & re-post seperate if you like. Sorry.

Edited by Boofhead

Rod

To be honest I really don't know much about the Lake for boats etc. I have a contract running up there at the moment (On hold due to major breakdown, back end of Feb I hope) Next visit I'll take some pics for you & suss out local info. Until then I can tell you this;

Lake Cargelligo is about 550 klms from Sydney (Like I said, fair old hike. Take a sandwich for the trip :1prop: ) I'd allow 7 hours! (plus 1 to drop the carton off at my place in Orange! :biggrin2: )

From memory there are two motels there, not much difference in prices or standards (Average country motels)

Camping shouldn't be an issue, there is a caravan park & also Lake Cargelligo certainly doesn't lack "Space"

I am pretty sure you can camp around the lake but I'll find out if the distance doesn't scare ya.

With regards to the boating regs, I'm not really sure what you mean by regs? Boats are allowed on the Lake as far as I know (Again, I'll find out for ya next visit in a few weeks) I'd imagine water levels may be an issue for anything on the med to large draft side. Tinnies would be excellent.

Stay tuned, I'll post a recon report after my next trip which like I said should be within the next few weeks. If not I'll be broke by then anyway :074:

Jeezus, Sorry Anti-Carp, We've hijacked your post! I'll remove this & re-post seperate if you like. Sorry.

No problimo mate, this is a good idea, less carp the better =) :1prop:

Congrats Anti-Carp

Wish I could have joined you for a session. Next time try it on fly, eh?

Sounds good, the carp were taking the bait off the surface and i think they'd be suckers for a floating bread fly

Hey Boofhead she's a long way to go for a weekend,

however not impossible if I can swing a couple of extra day's :1prop:

i would prefer to camp at the lake, if possible?

Keep us posted after your recon.

I would be bringing a punt so depth of water is not really an issue,

We may be able to rope in some other raiders as well, the bearded goldfish do pull well and there's no shortage of them so it would make for a good weekend.

Cheers Rod.

P.S I'm sorry too about the hijacking Anti carp, maybe I could shout you a beer at the carp bash if it comes off. :beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Since draining the river we've noticed that the carp were holing up in a deep hole. We berleyed up with bread on the surface and managed to get the carp feeding off the surface.

We got a couple in quick time before calling a day the two fish I would estimate between 2.5 to 3.5 kilo's. They go hard and are great fun on light line

Where abouts exactly in Para are you guys fishing for carp?

Here's one we prepared earlier :1prop:

Carp Comp

Could be a little far for most to travel though.

Do ya think some Raiders might travel to Orange? I would love to help organise something here but it might take a while to get off the ground. One things for sure the Carp ain't goin' anywhere in a hurry.

Dunno, just a thought. Maybe you guys can find more suitable grounds closer to home for this?

PS - I just love the fact that the smilies here drink Guinness :074:

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

can I bring my rifle ???!!

Where abouts exactly in Para are you guys fishing for carp?

Right under the Lennox Bridge (Church St) you can see them from the bridge. When the river is back to normal there are also quite a few through out the whole stretch from the weir near parra park to the weir next to the ferry wharf

There are also carp in Parra Dam and in Parra Lake

Right under the Lennox Bridge (Church St) you can see them from the bridge. When the river is back to normal there are also quite a few through out the whole stretch from the weir near parra park to the weir next to the ferry wharf

There are also carp in Parra Dam and in Parra Lake

Thanks Anti Carp I'll check it out the next time I drive past.

Only if you like mud!!!!

Dave they are not edible since the Para river is so polluted.

They don't taste too good in general anyway.

Your not wrong there,

I have seen them in the Darling river near Broken hill and it was debatable whether the water was more dirt than mud!

The buggers where still keen for a feed though!

Quite like the idea of a carp bashing social. :beersmile:

Anyone want to organise it?

Thats a brilliant idea. Orange is a bit far for some of us though... what other venue choices are available for a carp bash? Parra river is a proven option - are there any other carp holes known in the Sydney area?

Thats a brilliant idea. Orange is a bit far for some of us though... what other venue choices are available for a carp bash? Parra river is a proven option - are there any other carp holes known in the Sydney area?

Manly dam has heaps of carp in it and you can fish from small boat or the shore.

Maybe a good option?

Go Fish,

The lakes at Lake Gillawarna at Georges Hall are full of carp. You can see them swimming around as you are sitting on the banks. I have been tempted to go there one day and give the carp a go. Actually, if you have no luck with the carp in the lake, you can walk for 5 minutes and have a fish in the Georges river that flows though the park, so it is a win win situation.