Fishing For Livebait

GrantHarris

Hello everyone

Encouraged by the excellent (almost overwhenlming response) I received to my query regarding squidgies I thought I might pick your collective brains on this one.

I've never caught them before and would like to know the best way from the boat. Being a bait fish I guess some sort of floating rig with a bit of berley.

Then obviously once I have them I need to use them so some advice on livebait hooks and rigs (don't have a downrigger yet) would also be appreciated.

Cheers and many thanks

Mate there are a couple of ways to catch them.

Bread berley is awesome way to bring them to the boat.

I use Sabiki Jigs and get great results, very common to have 5 yakkas on per drop.

You can also use a handline with a Long Shank and small sinker and put some bait on and drop it in amonst your burley.

Any bait will work. Cut pillie peices..Mince, Chicken Breast, Prawn etc

Netic is on the right track above.

Just use any of the commonly available "bait jigs".

I put a very small piece of squid on the hooks as well to help. Squid is tough and you can normally get a few fish b4 needing to re-bait.

I just anchor up in a known livie area, burley with 2 pieces of bread and a couple of frozen pilchards in the burley bucket. If its a bit slow .... use a bit more burley every 5 mins or so.

I can normally get 10-30pcs live Yellow Tail in 1/4 - 1 hr

Everyone has their own technique. This works for me in in Broken Bay :)

cheers

Rod

Netic is on the right track above.

Just use any of the commonly available "bait jigs".

I put a very small piece of squid on the hooks as well to help. Squid is tough and you can normally get a few fish b4 needing to re-bait.

I just anchor up in a known livie area, burley with 2 pieces of bread and a couple of frozen pilchards in the burley bucket. If its a bit slow .... use a bit more burley every 5 mins or so.

I can normally get 10-30pcs live Yellow Tail in 1/4 - 1 hr

Everyone has their own technique. This works for me in in Broken Bay :)

cheers

Rod

Well Rod, Broken Bay (Little Box Head) is our destination on Saturday morning so I will certainly give these techniques a try. Thank you once again for all your help. It's making this summer's fishing (the first I've done in 10 years) very enjoyable

just on another note... wondering if anyone can tell me any good live bait spots in the harbour..(im fine in broken bay/h'bury) balmoral is ok but i never seem to have much luck there.. i put in at roseville.. so if any one can help me it would be much appreciated..

Well Rod, Broken Bay (Little Box Head) is our destination on Saturday morning so I will certainly give these techniques a try. Thank you once again for all your help. It's making this summer's fishing (the first I've done in 10 years) very enjoyable

Try round Clifton Gardens or middle harbour area. close to the shore...

do you know if it's a good place to try for live bait

To be honest I dont know !

Somewhere where its part protected, with a supply of tiny food for the fish to eat. Around moorings and wharfs can be good too. They offer protection and also a food source.

I mainly get my Yakas near the shore in 3-10metres of water ....say max 40m out from rocks. There is some weed and rock and sand mixed in .... a bit of everything really. Im relating to the Cowan Creek and Broken Bay area.

If you go on a charter boat (Eg Foster) we got Yakas and Slimeys on some near shore reefs max 1 mile out.

Best to ask your local tackle shop where the key locations are in your area (mid north coast i assume)

If you fishing that area, then Westhead is a good place to try

in front of the pill boxes, sound around till you see a school on the sounder and then burley up

there is genersally a mess of boats around here getting yakka's in the morning, so it wont be hard to miss.

Good luck

just on another note... wondering if anyone can tell me any good live bait spots in the harbour..(im fine in broken bay/h'bury) balmoral is ok but i never seem to have much luck there.. i put in at roseville.. so if any one can help me it would be much appreciated..

near the jetty at roseville there are thousands of yakka's

Update from the weekend:

Thanks everyone for the advice. We went to Little Box Head and within 20 minutes had enough to keep us going for the day.

A simple slurry of burley made of bread, fish oil and cat food in combination with a Wasabi bait jig had us pulling them in sometimes 3 at a time.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

The key to catching Livebaits is BURLY.

Anchor near structure IE- shallow reef, near a jetty/wharf rock wall, markers.

Burly up using chook pellets, bread, dry AND wet catfood, corn, peas, old fish bits/bait all soaked in tuna oil over night in a sealed bucket, always works for me.

Use the 6 hook rigs either from wasabi, force ten or one of the various other brands that sells the live bait catcher rigs.

OR a handline with a sinker to suit the depth of the water you fishing in(preferably no lead) and a small size 5/6/7 longshank hook.

cheers james