First Boat

Simonator

Hey mate

It all depends on what sort of fishing you intend to do

My first boat was an allycraft 3.75 meter v nosed punt with a 15hp motor

great for estuaries and creeks etc crap for going out a little further like to the heads

sure you could pick your days but they are few and far between

My current boat is a 4.55 sea jay good boat still a little to small for me but i can live with it

in the 4.55 I can still get up into some fairly shallow areas but going further out is always

a safer option for me now as compared to the previous boat so I guess it really

comes down to what sort of fishing you intend to do

My only advise I can give to you is be honest with yourself about what you intend to do

or as what happend with me will happen with you I bought the smaller boat intending

to take it outside and of course a lot of estuarie fishing and I convinced myself it would be great but in reality it wasnt the case and I ended up having to sell it so I could get the boat I really should have got 1st

Just take your time and really look at all options before you commit

Hope it helps

Coollamon

Edited by coollamon

Well I think that a cuddy cabin is what you are looking at, because you can fish out of it and also take the kids out and if they get tired you have a bit of a cabin for them to sleep or have a rest. My first boat was a BFG 4.75 and it was the right choice at the time as I had a 5 and 2 year old and Hawksbry and Brisbanewater trips were great or even Botany.

This boat was great and use to go to the peak sydney and wollongong traps no problems(No kids) Today my boys have grown so we have a centre console as we need the room and is a great fishing platform.

Cheers

:dito: Depends how much you wish to spend as well. Work out what you want to do and get what suits your needs.

Cheers,

Mark

Spot on Costa :thumbup:

How old are your kids Simon? I've got a 5 year old boy who's my veteran fishing buddy, and a 1 year old girl who comes out ocasionally with the :wife: . Got a jacket to fit her from Bias (the daughter that is!).

I had a Whittley Monterey (half cabin) and now have a Bayliner bowrider which we use for fishing/skiing/cruising. I can post pictures and give you an idea of prices we paid (2nd hand) if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

What happened ?

Did you find a boat yet ? or is your head spinning and you cant sleep at night, constantly thinking about the options for the boat and what you can really afford etc etc ? ?

Ive got 2 little boys that I hope can grow to love fishing and boating like I do, and just ordered a boat to suit my growing families needs and mine :1fishing1::1fishing1::beersmile:

We're getting a Stessco Catcher 4.2 with side decks and an Evinrude Etec 40 tiller. My long term idea is to make it a small centre consol but funds are limited now, so tiller will do. The ETEC won the race in my choice for a new motor based on its ultra low emissions and great fuel economy. The Catcher for its deep V hull and 3mm bottom skin.

yep a half or cuddy cabin could be a choice (gives the kids or the missus somewhere to have a rest

or a read).plus it can give some sort of protection if the weather turns sour. It will all depend on your

price range to start ,then you can sort through what you can find.My first boat was a no name brand

4.5 half cabin which was good in the river but the hull wasnt what i was looking for once the sea and

swell got near over a metre,had that for 12mths then sold and bought a haines signature 492f which

is much more seaworthy and has a ride which is 5 times better than the no namer.

craig

Edited by Frantic

We have a Savage 480 ranger...... You beaut!

We had a bounty half cabin great when the kids were young.

A tinnie for getting into small creeks for freshwater etc.

Now we're getting older and want some comfort so we bought a Savage 480 Ranger same as henryinnis.

After looking for around at boat shows and yards for two years we hadn't seen the Ranger just lucky we saw it on a TV boat show and loved it.

It's perfect for what we want.

Don't rush in and feel free to ask them for a test run to see how it feels

My boat is a Quintrex Sea Raider 5.75mt with a 90hp Evinrude. After a long search to suit my needs and the family days out this has worked out to be the excelent choice. The boat is now 12years old and never caused a problem.

It can comfortly sleep 2 people for those all weekend comps and has plenty of room for fishing, at times it has handled 4 people who fished without any tangles. I put a rear lounge in that can easily be removed when the family are not aboard.

There is enough power to water ski 1 adult with 5 on board.

All the gest in your hunt

Gafmo

Buying a first boat is always a very hard decision. I took months to decide but in the end I am happy with what I got - 4.25 Allycraft Navajo. As I had very little boating experience I was worried about buying second hand as I was worried that I would buy a lemon. The thing that got me with the Allycraft was that for the same price as the Quintrex I was able to get alot of extras - canopy, padded seats, underfloor floatation and 50L underfloor fuel tank, marine radio, motorwell, rod holders, depth sounder etc. Although I should have got a livebait tank :1badmood:

I am in no way saying that the boat I got is the boat for you, but you should really think about the extras you want on the boat, the last think you want to do is spend all your money on the boat only to realise that you have to spend alot more on all the extras you want. In saying that I did compromise by not getting the best hull, and the ride through some chop is not as nice as other boats of the same size, for that reason I don't go outside much, only really around the heads on the flatter days, but I still am learning the ropes a bit with respect to boating.

Don't forget to consider what your car can tow, make sure it's well within the limits or you'll soon be upgrading your car. Also, if you taking the kids out you want to consider how well you can handle it on the boat ramp by yourself.

Hope that helps a bit.

Trent

My first one was a 4.5m Aluminium with 50hp (decent speed on the water around 50km/h). So i can get used to towing/launching etc. It allows you to go everywhere really besides the shelf :P

Its a great boat and sits 5 :)