Late Report - Sydney Harbour Saturday 24th

Beaver

Hi Guys

This is my first report. Been reading fishraider for a while and thought I better contribute as I have enjoyed reading other reports.

Mate and I launched at Roseville around 6AM to go find some squid for the kings. We tried for about an hour but couldn't manage any at all! We haven't been able to get any the last few attempts. Decided to forget the squid and grab a few yakkas from around the corner. The yakkas were everywhere pulled in 10 in no time. Also saw some big fish below the yakkas, couldn't quite tell what they were though.

We spotted a few small schools of kings around the heads and threw a few metals at them with no success.

Decided to go try the wedding cake first. I dropped a yakka and it got smashed nearly straight away. My mate was furious that I hooked up before him (again) :1prop: . Anyway about 30 seconds into the fight my leader gave way and the fish escaped to fight another day. We didn't have to wait much longer before my light outfit went off, after a 5 minute fight a 62cm king was landed. My mate landed the next 2 kings both around 61 cm also. The action then went a bit quiet so we decided to go to clifton. I pulled in a 59cm king which we released straight away. My mate then pulled in a fat Salmon.

Decided there was no need to try any other places as we had enough for a feed.

post-3646-1172464128_thumb.jpg

All in all 3 keeper kings 61-62 cm's and a 57cm Salmon.

:1welcomeani: to Raider Beaver!!!!!!

Thats a nice way to start an induction to a new website! Fanatastic report mate! Just curious what time did you hit CG?

Keep em coming

Dan an Greg

Mate I think it would have been around 10AM or so. It seems Clifton goes a bit quiet from 10-11 onwards, this may just be me though!

:1welcomeani:

Hi Guys

This is my first report. Been reading fishraider for a while and thought I better contribute as I have enjoyed reading other reports.

Mate and I launched at Roseville around 6AM to go find some squid for the kings. We tried for about an hour but couldn't manage any at all! We haven't been able to get any the last few attempts. Decided to forget the squid and grab a few yakkas from around the corner. The yakkas were everywhere pulled in 10 in no time. Also saw some big fish below the yakkas, couldn't quite tell what they were though.

We spotted a few small schools of kings around the heads and threw a few metals at them with no success.

Decided to go try the wedding cake first. I dropped a yakka and it got smashed nearly straight away. My mate was furious that I hooked up before him (again) :1prop: . Anyway about 30 seconds into the fight my leader gave way and the fish escaped to fight another day. We didn't have to wait much longer before my light outfit went off, after a 5 minute fight a 62cm king was landed. My mate landed the next 2 kings both around 61 cm also. The action then went a bit quiet so we decided to go to clifton. I pulled in a 59cm king which we released straight away. My mate then pulled in a fat Salmon.

Decided there was no need to try any other places as we had enough for a feed.

post-3646-1172464128_thumb.jpg

All in all 3 keeper kings 61-62 cm's and a 57cm Salmon.

welcome to this special site :1welcomeani: awsome catch and all the best for the rest of the year.

TTWIN 1

:1welcomeani: to the site mate.

Good work on the kings!! good to see the yakkas are working!!! what strength leader were u using??

Thanks mate. We had 4 rods out all with various strength leaders. Mostly 50lb but the one I lost the fish on was light (20lb). I wanted to see whether I got more hits with a light leader. Ended up losing one and landing one on it.

Thanks mate. We had 4 rods out all with various strength leaders. Mostly 50lb but the one I lost the fish on was light (20lb). I wanted to see whether I got more hits with a light leader. Ended up losing one and landing one on it.

yeah thats the reason i ask as i know the harbour fish are a bit picky when you have a heavy leader, i think when fishing live yakkas a 30lb leader is good in the harbour. At least you get more hits!!! Did you get many hits on the 50lb leaders?? I do much the same! I do fish 80lb leader when using live squid at north head though prob a bit heavy but if theres a biggen there at least yo've got a chance!!!

Dan.

yeah thats the reason i ask as i know the harbour fish are a bit picky when you have a heavy leader, i think when fishing live yakkas a 30lb leader is good in the harbour. At least you get more hits!!! Did you get many hits on the 50lb leaders?? I do much the same! I do fish 80lb leader when using live squid at north head though prob a bit heavy but if theres a biggen there at least yo've got a chance!!!

Dan.

I agree that you usually get more hits on lighter gear (20-30lb) in the harbour. We have noticed this on the last few outings. However Saturday was a little different as the fish were hitting the 50lb leaders as well just as frequently, maybe the rats were really hungry that day haha.

Howdy all,

Just wondering where people have been getting yakkas lately?

My old faithful spot at Balmoral island has been devoid of them every time i have tried in the last month or two.....

Many thanks for any tips!

We have got yakkas from Balmoral Island pretty easily the last few trips. Maybe you just need to burley them up a bit better!