New Motor - $$$$$$

njsconst

I made the decision to upgrade my motor on my boat today. My motor is getting on now with nearly 440hrs on the clock.

I currently have a 115hp Yamaha 2-stroke Salt Water series and it s a brillant motor, never let me down or missed a beat! So I started to shop around for the identical motor and perhaps a 130hp if I could afford the extra dollars.

Gee...doesn't it pay to shop around.

I phoned and emailed every Yamaha dealer within a 3 hour drive of Sydney to get quotes.

To cut a long story short, I had prices that varied over $2000 in difference for the same product. Then I found a Yamaha Plantinum dealer that wanted my business. He gave me the best quote and that was on a 130hp. It still beat some other dealers that were quoting on a 115hp by $2000.

This dealer is also going to water test the new motor and play with different props to get the best performance. He said, "No charge its all part of the service". You cant get much better then that.

So as a result my boat is booked in on Monday for the upgrade.

I can tell you the happiest person in this deal is my :wife: , she'll be happy with the spare $2000 left in the bank account!!!!

Edited by njsconst

I made the decision to upgrade my motor on my boat today. My motor is getting on now with nearly 440hrs on the clock.

I currently have a 115hp Yamaha 2-stroke Salt Water series and it s a brillant motor, never let me down or missed a beat! So I started to shop around for the identical motor and perhaps a 130hp if I could afford the extra dollars.

I phoned and emailed every Yamaha dealer within a 3 hour drive of Sydney to get quotes.

To cut a long story short, I had prices that varied over $2000 in difference for the same product. Then I found a Yamaha Plantinum dealer that wanted my business. He gave me the best quote and that was on a 130hp. It still beat some other dealers that were quoting on a 115hp by $2000.

This dealer is also going to water test the new motor and play with different props to get the best performance. He said, "No charge its all part of the service". You cant get much better then that.

I can tell you the happiest person in this deal is my :wife: , she'll be happy with the spare $2000 left in the bank account!!!!

njsconst,

Would be great if you could PM the dealership. I am looking at buying 2 x 115hp four strokes so any saving would be great

Thanks mate! :thumbup::thumbup:

i can also say ive had great service from them.

good deal on my boat.

they serviced it for me, took it out on the water and tested it for me, 3 months warrnty on 2nd hand motor, and when i had a problem ( carby linkages needed adjusting from sitting for a while & now back in use ) thes fixed the problem straight away under warranty.

great to deal with professionalism. if thats a word :074: .

i can also say ive had great service from them.

good deal on my boat.

they serviced it for me, took it out on the water and tested it for me, 3 months warrnty on 2nd hand motor, and when i had a problem ( carby linkages needed adjusting from sitting for a while & now back in use ) thes fixed the problem straight away under warranty.

great to deal with professionalism. if thats a word :074: .

Thats re-assuring to hear as my new motor comes with 3yr warranty.

good on you for finding a reputable dealer as well as sticking with the same brand that you have had endless reliability with. these days, i think we all expect the good old days of having an engine, particularly an outboard last for 30 years or so. i know many yamaha owners whom are sold on their engines. best of luck mate with the new outboard, hope you have many years of reliability and plenty of good fishing tales to go with it!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::yahoo:

The Blakes are the most honest people in the boat game. Service is excelent and water tested in the river after the service.

Gafmo

Well don't I have egg on my face! After giving them a big wrap on this forum - I have been very dissappointed by their service thus far and give them a huge :thumbdown: .

Let me fill you in.

1/ dropped boat off to them last Monday and was told it was a two day job would be ready by Friday at the lastest. I was also told that they had the motor "in stock".

2/ Ring them on Wednesday to see how the job was going. Was told that my boat had not even been touched as the motor had just arrived from Yamaha Australia. So the "in stock" was a big fat lie!

3/ Ring back today (Friday) and spoke to the service manager, He replied "what boat?" He knew nothing of my boat and he was the Service Manager!!!!!! Infact the old motor hadn't even been removed from the transom ready for the new one to go on.

4/ Asked to speak to the owner of Blakes Marine and was told NO I was not allowed to speak to him. Can you believe that!!!!!!! :1badmood:

5/ Told them that if I didn't get some form of response I would be over to pick my boat up and take it to another Yamaha dealer who would appreciate my bussiness. Still haven't been able to speak with Allan Blake the owner of the dealership.

6/ Got a call back from the salesperson whom I initially dealt with (I think he left high school last week). Was told that because of the Rosehill boatshow it had held up my motor being fitted. I said, "So what - you guys have known about that boatshow for the past 12 months and how does that effect my boat!" When I booked my boat in two weeks ago they should have taken that into consideration or told me they were unable to fit the motor until mid March. Now my boat is out of action and that means NO FISHING for me, which makes me :mad3: .

7/ Was promised that my boat would be ready on Monday afternoon. Well lets see! I'll keep you fellow Raiders informed of what happens.

NOT HAPPY!!!!!! So would I recommend Blakes marine....... NO!

Edited by njsconst

After and few head aches and hiccups I was able to pick up my boat today, with the brand spanking 2007 model 130hp Yamaha on the back.

Now I just can't wait to hit the water!!!!

Heres some pics for you:

post-2204-1173778035_thumb.jpg post-2204-1173778061_thumb.jpg

Looks Sccchhhmmmiiikkk! Were you happy with the service in the end?

Only on a few little hiccups......

The dealer didn't fill out the Warranty Card. So now I have to go back to them and get them to stamp/sign it so I can mail it off to Yamaha Australia to get my 2yr factory warranty.

That sales guy didn't even go through the running in proceedure with me. I only found it when reading through the Operators Manual.

I was happy with the price and installation, but overal their customer service skills were absolutely crap.

Wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

Lets, put it this way...they won't be servicing the motor.

Now I just can't wait to hit the water!!!!

Have you been able to get out yet?

Is it any noticably quicker...... or too early for it to loosen up.

It would be interesting to hear if the extra 15hp actually makes any difference.

Have you been able to get out yet?

Is it any noticably quicker...... or too early for it to loosen up.

It would be interesting to hear if the extra 15hp actually makes any difference.

Fishing Rod,

To answer your question.... Took it out for the first time today to begin running it in. Once I had followed the run in procedure for the first two hours I was able to open her up briefly for the first time and see how she performed.

Well I was very impressed... You wouldn't think an extra 15hp would make much difference. But I got another 15kph out of her. It also jumps up onto the plane quicker, motor is very responsive.

With the old engine (115hp) top speed was about 60kph.

With new engine (130hp) top speed was 75kph.

That should improve too when its completely run in. Bear in mind too, that for the first 10hrs its running on double oil. 50:1 premix fuel plus the normal oil injection.

I was very pleased with how smooth it was and how it performed- . Money well spent.

Sounds good mate....I just saw your FAD and 3000rpm report.

Its good to see someone re-powering with a carby 2 stroke. Everyone is talking hi-tech or 4s etc.

If i had to repower I would still seriously consider a old-tech motor. They run a lot nicer than they did in the 1980s !

Ive spent a lot of time running rigs with 4s Yammys and Optimax. They are nice. But a healthy old-tech runs pretty nice too :)

cheers

Rod