Coxs Craft

deepblue3

hi there fellow raiders

I was wondering if there were any other raider who have had the misfortune of purchasing a

coxs craft :thumbdown: ( reef runner ) :thumbdown:

the model name might indicate sea worthy but take it from me,

make sure the reef is very close to the ramp

Ditto.. what's happened?

well it going to be a little hard to find a starting point but here goes

1 this boat is what most would call a wet boat and I do not mean a light spray and I am not talking

big swells or winds either

2 the cab lay out is so cramp that you end up with bruising from even the smallest chop both at moving

and drift if you are in the drivers or passenger seat

3 the rod holders on the inside of the boat are as useful as a bull with t___s unless u use surf rods

in the boat

4 all the live bait pluming leaks

5 the kill tank door does not open far enough and it is near impossible to get to it through the narrow

gap between the seats

6 the boat slams down hard on the nose even in small chop

7 the boat is approx 13mths old and is already showing stress cracks in the cab

8 the rear seat is of absolute no use and even if you put it down it still gets in the way

9 any many more problems

and this is not to mention the stupid position the Yamaha put the travel stop on the 100 4stroke that

I had fitted

and yes it is my fault and my fault only as I did not take it for a test drive before wasting 42000 on a boat

the gives me the shits to the point I don’t want to use it

I have a mate who owns a Coxcraft Reef Runner with a Evinrude 135hp on the back, I have sent him a PM so he can post his own opinion.

I know he is pretty happy with the boat overall.

Together we have been out to FADS up and down the coast, to Browns Mountian and I thought it performed pretty well.

Coxcraft are releasing a 7.5m fishing boat at the August 2007 Boat Show in Sydney. I will be very interesting in looking at this boat.

Nathan

1 this boat is what most would call a wet boat and I do not mean a light spray and I am not talking

2 the cab lay out is so cramp that you end up with bruising from even the smallest chop both at moving

3 the rod holders on the inside of the boat are as useful as a bull with t___s unless u use surf rods

in the boat

5 the kill tank door does not open far enough and it is near impossible to get to it through the narrow

gap between the seats

8 the rear seat is of absolute no use and even if you put it down it still gets in the way

9 any many more problems

and this is not to mention the stupid position the Yamaha put the travel stop on the 100 4stroke that

I had fitted

and yes it is my fault and my fault only as I did not take it for a test drive before wasting 42000 on a boat

Sorry to see you in such a state ,never been a cox craft fan my self but been a and couple and thought they were pretty well made and good boat under way ,the hull has a very fine entry witch makes them a boat that has to trimed a lot also a hull that needs trim tabs hope this has been of some help

Edited by johnno

Seafarers are wet boats also, but you can drive them in a way so as not to be wet to an extent.

I would not be saying too much negative stuff about your boat in case you want to sell it? Coming from the owner what you have said, if i read that i would never want to buy it from you. Just a hint. Maybe its the way you drive? Im not saying anything just trying to get some info, although stress cracks should not be showing after one year!. I dont know what else to say but sorry for your misfortunes.

Have you owned a 5.4m boat before? Sometimes people expect a bit too much out of a small boat. I was actually interested in the Reef Runner after reading the review in Saltwater Fishing. With a 20 deg deadrise it is a bit hard to believe that it rides hard in chop.

PS: are you sure the 'stress cracks' aren't just gel coate cracks?

Seafarers are wet boats also, but you can drive them in a way so as not to be wet to an extent.

I would not be saying too much negative stuff about your boat in case you want to sell it? Coming from the owner what you have said, if i read that i would never want to buy it from you. Just a hint. Maybe its the way you drive? Im not saying anything just trying to get some info, although stress cracks should not be showing after one year!. I dont know what else to say but sorry for your misfortunes.

Just a bit more on Reely's point(s), I've recently bought a Bayliner bowrider as an all round family boat, and am still experimenting with optimum trim settings. Whilst I don't go outside , I do venture out in the Hawkesbury (around Juno Point), which can get a little sloppy. I was travelling along at about 30mph in the old scale when I came across some sloppy water. I backed off a bit & then trimmed in. Immediately after trimming in the ride became a bit wet, so I trimmed out a bit and the ride became comfortable & dry again.

In my experience with the boats I've had, it's all about the right speed & trim for the conditions.

P.S. If anyone from Bayliner is reading this.......l luuuuuuurrrrrrvvv the boat!

Hi all fellow raiders

First of all I would like to thank the people for there response to my post I will try and cover all the response in this reply as brief as I can

Netic

My apologies I did not know that there was a boating section

Njsconst

Well I would like to here his opinion on this boat and may get together one day if possible to see if

It is just the way I drive as many have indicated

Buster 1

Well I believe I have tried the trim from 0 to the point of cavitation but really could not find what I believe

Every boatie wants and that is a reasonable dry and steady speed

Reely

I thank you for your input but believe I have tried to change the way I drive to suit the different conditions

I would also like to add that I am glad that I have put the post on as I would not want to see a die hard fisho

End up with the headache

Billfisher

Yes I have own a boat 5.4 and no I do not have high expectations and the cracks I will still call stress

Kw367

Yes I do agree and like in the replies above I do believe I have changed my driving to suit these conditions

Thank you all

Deepblue 3

I had fitted

This could be a clue. A 100 hp 4 stroke weighs a lot and coupled with the lack of punch compared to a two stroke can lead to the '4-stroke pig syndrome' on boats not suited to them. I wonder how the boat would handle with a 90 hp two stroke.

in the boat

gap between the seats

9 any many more problems

I had fitted

Deep blue, Have you got on to your local Coxcraft dealer and asked for these problems to be looked at or have you decided to have a winge and try and damage a very reputiable companies product first.

I have a lot of expriance with the reef runner currently use one with a 115 tldi Tohatsu on the back, performs very very well, I would think some of your problems arise from bad set up, every one blams the Boat Manufacturer no one thinks has the motor been balanced to the boat. is the boat balanced with all your gear in it. These boats like a lot of weight forward in certain conditions.

Are u using Front and side Clears for the weather ?

What are you really expecting from a 5.4 M boat ?

I do find mine a little wet at times but the ride is exceptionally good, very very soft ?

I have been boating for many many years with many different boats. This boat has it's good and bad points as do they all, you should get the rig setup checked out. These hulls perform very well for what they are if set up right.

Good luck in sorting it out.

Shane

Edited by vxleather

i dont know about seafarers being 'wet boats',as i've come back from kiama canyons (27kms) with as big a sea as you'd want to be in with a stiff ne blowing,and being the skipper if anyone was going to get wet it would've been me,and i didn;t have the clears on that day as the weather looked really good,my boat is a seafarer viking with a 115 johno,maybe i have it very well balanced,not saying i've never been wet in it as i have been caught out in the rain in it :biggrin2:

I have to agree with SPOOLED AGAIN. I have owned a 18ft Seafarer for the past 10years and would NOT describe them as a "wet boat". They are anything but.

I think you have to look at the way you are driving it.

I just got back from a trip down south and was met by some fairly ugly conditions out at the Banks and JB Canyons. Did not get any spray into the helm area. Its always a nice dry ride.

Hi there fellow raiders

( Vxleather )

first of all I do not think that by putting a post on this site about my boat is winging, it was a way of finding out if there were people out there that may have had the same problems or people out there that may have a solution to some of my problems . The part about ( damage a very reputiable companies product ) I thought was a bit of a joke and also the part ( every one blames the Boat Manufacturer ).

The reason I think it is a joke, you hinted that may be I should have got hold of the dealer before I put the post on ( winge )

Well let me tell you I did better that that I got in touch with Cox’s craft them self and of course they were really helpful they told me I should take it back to there dealer and go through some of the problems with him. That was all well and fine to I told them that there dealer was no longer in business and at that point I did not get any further correspondence from Cox’s craft.

So don’t tell me that I was trying to damage a very reputiable companies product.

But I would also like to say thank you for your input

Deepblue3

That was all well and fine to I told them that there dealer was no longer in business and at that point I did not get any further correspondence from Cox’s craft.

So don’t tell me that I was trying to damage a very reputiable companies product.

Deepblue3

Let me guess..... Advantage Marine at Cabramatta :thumbdown: . Say no more!

Hi Deepblue,

I leave your above reply alone as not to start a key board war, and try and give you some help as you have said this was your intention to find some help.

As much as every one loves to ring the factory it is not always possible to solve everything from there.

This is why boat manufactures have dealer networks, In the Sydney area i think there are 2 dealers Huet Marine at Cowan and i can't remeber the name of the other one, around botany bay if i remebr correctly.

I have met Craig huet and he is very helpful in setting up these boats.

I can understand your frustration with no help from the factory directly, It is not always as easy as a phone call. I have also met the owners of CoxCraft and they are very helpful as well.

The Gelcoat cracks i guess would need to be seen by a dealer.

I would encourage you to try your boat with a changed weight layout, in mine i run duel batteries and as i have said a 115 2 stroke, i have found if i put all my tackle box's and gear under the rear lounge as well as sit people on the rear lounge and carry no wait forward bar the driver and safety gear that the boat does not perform well.

Went out to the islands here the other day, all tackle boxes and iteams of weight to the front, (front storage bins are huge fit a lot of gear in them) the ride improved ten fold in the rough and the calm.

I use front and side clears for rough weather as stated before you do get some spray from the hull,

The rear lounge and rod holders and cocpit room must be a personal dislike for your self as i have found them queit usable, the lounge is removable with a few screws and the bottom comes out. If we are soly fishing i do remove the lounge. (you don't have to just a personal thing for me)

I would agree the front kill tank is hard to access but i accept in a 5.4 metre boat there will be some hard to get to spot's, a comprimise in having a full walk threw cabin to anchor i suppose.

I hope this helps you sort out the rig as they are a lot of fun if set up well.

Pm me if you need some more help

Shane

Edited by vxleather

Hi Deepblue, sorry to hear about your dramas with your Coxcraft. We have been selling them for about 5 years and have not had any real drams with them, and we have been in operation for over 45 years and in our experience the Reefrunner is a safe and comfotable boat when driven to the conditions. You have to ask yourself why your dealer is no longer in operation and I would be more than happy to have a look at your problems and see if we can resolve them. Also I would not have a problem with showing you how to drive the boat correctly considering you say you never went for a run before purchasing th boat.

Please PM myself or contact me directly so that we can book you in and have a look at your dramas,

Cheers,

Huey.

hi there fellow raiders

vxleather

i would just like to let you know that there was no chance of a keyboard war ,and i really

mean it when i say thank you for your input

heuy

i would also like to thank you for your input and will try and get intouch with you sometime this

week and go through a few problems

thank you

deepblue3

Edited by deepblue3

Now THAT'S what I call a bloody good outcome for a guy who is obviously frustrated and upset by the people he has dealt with.

Good call there, Huey. Once again, that is what this site is all about.

Tuffy

• 2 weeks later...

Deepblue,

Have you conatcted Heuy to sort out your dramas yet?

Reason I ask, is because I am interested if any problems were identified with your boat's set-up.

Let us all know what happened as this particular topic generated some real interest.

Cheers

Nathan