Braid Or Mono

mcownage

I have never used braided line only mono and ive caught some pretty awsome fish on it. I guess the reason ive never used braided is because i really cant afford $30 for line i buy the 300m JW mono line even on my beach rod i only have 9lb it serves well the bigest fish ive caught on that line was 65cm lizard (davistown)

and 65cm samon. Of course i use 30lb trace Even pulling in Kingies on 20lb mono scary that is.

So i guess what im saying is what are the benefits and what do you guys like?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well guys i have a bit of a different story...

Over the last 2 weeks i have been running tests on braid line to check their true breaking strains...

Out of 11 brands tested ...mainly in the 50lb to 100 lb bracket not one braid line held to its rated capacity...

These tests were done at my local tackle store......

My Fins braid (50lb) was breaking constantly at 14kgs....between 10cm and 20cm from the knot....

100lb Tuna terror was breaking at 18kg.......

We tested many brands and all failed misarably...

We tested 6 brands of 24kg IGFA mono and all broke within 22-24kg...

Now you might say" we tested cheaper brands" i assure you they were not.

Kelvin ( who loves braid) also tested his braids ( exspensive brands) and all of his new stuff also failed but im sure Kelvin will add to this and explain his results.....

We are running more test but i have just received word that Tufline seems to be good and Daiwa Sensor braid also seems to hold to its rating.....

Kelvin also tested his older spools of braid and they seem to be much stronger then the new stuff that we buy today.....

I would be interested in other results if anyone will put there braid to the test.

Edited by netic

My Fins braid (50lb) was breaking constantly at 14kgs....between 10cm and 20cm from the knot....

100lb Tuna terror was breaking at 18kg.......

We tested many brands and all failed misarably...

We tested 6 brands of 24kg IGFA mono and all broke within 22-24kg...

seems too me that the mono is stronger according to that.

you will have too let me now NETIC a good braid so i can try it out since so many people like it. I guess its worth a try i would hate to spend the money and it not hold close to its breaking strain.

What about the 15lb 20lb 25lb

Guest dicko1

So i guess what im saying is what are the benefits and what do you guys like?

Hi mate, braid has no stretch which means you can feel every tiny thing that is happening at the end of your line. This makes it great for trolling or flicking lures around, however i dont really like it for bait fishing on timid species like bream, flatties, whiting etc but it is ok on kings etc. I dont think it has as good abbrasion resistance as mono so if you were fishing off the rocks i think you'd find most people still use mono. Other than this braid is a much finer diamater so you get less wind/water resistence thus allowing you to fish much lighter.

I use braid on pretty much everything because i like the direct feel however on my most recently purchased combo for spinning for bream and flatties i spooled it with berkley vanish flourocarbon just to see if it made a difference in hits. I find that i do get alot more hits running the straight flouro then when i used braid with a flouro leader, it also gives you a few extra casts at finicky bream before the get spooked. In saying this i have not tried the invisible fireline as of yet....

Well i will keep you updated but as mentioned the Daiwa Sensor braid seems to be good and the tufline also...

SOrry i havent tested the lighter line classes

Edited by netic

i use braid on my bottom bashing reels and my lake rod for flicking soft plastics i reckon with the braid on you feel alot more bites

game reels and snapper reels mono to deer to put on game reels and snapper are fussy bastards

cheer mik

Edited by fishingmik

as i have, same as kelvin and netic ive ALSO tested my lines and its rather disturbing the SHI+ that

they are selling us..

i tested my 50lb finns that i have spooled on my torsa 30 and the crap

broke AWAY FRM KNOT AT around 15kgs

its BULL shi+ if u ask me i tested my 80lb finns and it ALSO broke unda its rated strengh..

so guys get out some scales and get testing im sure u will find out wat we are talking about..

steve

I use both types of line , my lighter gear is fitted with either 4lb or 10lb braid , my boat rod and snapper rig are running 20lb mono. I have never caught anything heavy enough to test out the breaking point for either line ( but Im trying! ) . I like the sensitivity of the braid , even have some on a handline !!

Ross

Guest IFishSick.

You need braid for bottom bashing and snapper rigs so you can feel the bites. If you are worried about the visibility of the line put on a wind on leader. We use 8m for our game outfits and they're mono still.

Never used braid on my reels

had a chance of using braid on a spinning out fit and enjoyed to the feel

i got off it.

So my next few reels will be braid

was going to try the daiwa sensor out also in 60lb

and finns 50lb .

just DONT be fooled guys with all this braid talk id DEF be asking tackle shops to test any braid be4

u purchase it AND DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!...

i dndt believe this until of late whilst fishing with netic and getting DUSTED on my braid out fits

TIME AFTER TIME...

then after all the talk i TESTED my own braid and i couldnt believe everythng ppl around me

was saying bout how crap some of the braid out there is until i tested it for myself..

im almost certain i will go back to MONO... unless i hear of improvements..

dont get me wrong fellas braid is one of the best thngs they ever brought out

BUT

seeing as its HELL pricey and meant to be TUFF then i wanna get wat i pay for!!!!!!!

until i see or hear of further IMPROVEMENTS i wont buy anymore of the current rubbish out there..

steve

The braidy bunch has certainly grown in recent times,

however i am yet to be converted,did try it on one line

fo a while and found no great benefits. Floating baits

in a berely trail you cant beat flurocarbon/mono. :beersmile:

Personally i think mono is alot better, on 3 outtings to clifton i brought along 2 setups one with braid and the other with mono. First outting was 1 pelagic on braid - 3 on mono, Second outting was 1 pelagic on braid - 2 on Mono, Third Outing Braid 0 - Mono 3.

Braid is woefull when i have come across the tailor frenzy. No Braid,no gold swivels.

Mono all the way

Hi All

I just purchased a shimano tyrnos and i got 80lb tera tuna or tuna tera put on it. I decided to test it out for myself as i gotta admit i thought you guys must be tying bad knots or something (i just paid over $100 for 500m, i had to justify it).

I tied one end to a big swivel and another to a big snap, i got out the scales and pulled nice and slow, 16kg and snap!

Tried again 15kg snap!

Then again and again and again and again and the most i got was around 17kg! to say "not Happy Jan" is an understatement.

I'm basically telling myself that i'm only going to run about 12kg drag so i should be ok but i wanted to be able to push the bar higher if i needed to. Thats why i got 80lb!

Anyway i still havn't used the outfit in anger but soon, very soon we will see.

sorry to hear that buddy, its CERTAINLY a big prob and these

big companys NEED to get there act together quick smart..

mate go back to where u brought the terra braid from and tell them ITS NOT ON

let them test it if they wish but id certainly wouldnt be spending that much and on it

and settling for 12kg of strike...

just a thought

cheers steve

I recently purchased some 10 lb braid that was pricey. Brian and I did some tests and it broke at a whopping 18kgs. :1yikes: I cant remeber the name something pro braid I have the pack at home and I will update this post when I get home.