Braid Or Mono

mcownage

I use 6lb Fireline on most of my reels for light estuary and river and I would never go back to mono. The biggest fish I have taken on it is an 8lb salmon which it handled fine (with the appropriate drag setting of course) It casts so much better when throwing light lures around. I tested it a long while ago and it always broke well above 6lb even when tied with a fluorocarbon leader using an improved albright knot.

Perhaps the strength becomes an issue when you start heading to stronger line classes???

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well guys i have a bit of a different story...

Over the last 2 weeks i have been running tests on braid line to check their true breaking strains...

Out of 11 brands tested ...mainly in the 50lb to 100 lb bracket not one braid line held to its rated capacity...

These tests were done at my local tackle store......

My Fins braid (50lb) was breaking constantly at 14kgs....between 10cm and 20cm from the knot....

100lb Tuna terror was breaking at 18kg.......

We tested many brands and all failed misarably...

We tested 6 brands of 24kg IGFA mono and all broke within 22-24kg...

Now you might say" we tested cheaper brands" i assure you they were not.

Kelvin ( who loves braid) also tested his braids ( exspensive brands) and all of his new stuff also failed but im sure Kelvin will add to this and explain his results.....

We are running more test but i have just received word that Tufline seems to be good and Daiwa Sensor braid also seems to hold to its rating.....

Kelvin also tested his older spools of braid and they seem to be much stronger then the new stuff that we buy today.....

I would be interested in other results if anyone will put there braid to the test.

I would query your methods of testing in a local tackle shop. Tests on breaking strain would have to be done under laboratory conditions with specific equipment and proper experimental design.

by the looks of it thats what the line companys must not be doing but it does appear to be a problem with the higher braids

I will be buying some 9lb fireline for my shimano 2000 bottom drag so i can get a descent amount of line on it 9lb is all i need its done me well in the past (for esturary) i have pulled in 6500 lizards with that and by the looks of it the lighter line is stronger ... I will test though...

I like the sensitivity of the braid , even have some on a handline !!

Ross

Man, I hope you wear gloves. Not a recommended practice to handline braid at all. It will slice your fingers up real bad.

In all this testing that you guys are doing, is the Braid failing in the line itself or at the knots? What knots are you using? Are they knots that are actually recommended for braid and correctly tied? Braid will cut itself in a poor knot.

These questions are important but in fishing you need to be able to re rig quickly and with ease. I must say that some of the knots recommended for braid are more complex than mono knots. I've only just started using a bit of braid and you guys have really %$^&ed me off because I spent good money on, "you guessed it", some FINS 80 lb and some Tuna Terror 50 lb colour banded stuff. Haven't put it in the water yet so I'll soon find out. You surprise me since the Tuna Terror is made from Dyneema which is supposedly one of the strongest materials known to man. Used in Bullet Proof Vests and also for Hang Glider and Kiting applications I wouldn't want it to fail under rated capacity would you?

Using some light 20 lb braid last weekend with a running bean sinker right down to the hook very quickly produced a lot of fraying in the 2cm of line above the hook which eventually failed to a very small fish.

As a mono preferer I've just spooled a Shimano eggbeater with 25 lb Berkeley Trilene and fished it from the beach the other night. Beautiful to cast and retrieve and lies nice and straight.

I tied it with a locked half blood knot and used about 14turns to avoid it slipping. It broke of just on the knot and maybe that was the problem.

Does anybody know of any knots specially made for braid as if that is what causes it to break below capacity i'll re-do the test.

From what i see here it seems the light braid breaks over and the heavy braid breaks under the written capacity.

There is a article that discuss's the best knots for braid.....they tested many.....

I have tried to post a link here but it blanks of half the web address....dont now why...i might send it to Stewy to look at.

I would query your methods of testing in a local tackle shop. Tests on breaking strain would have to be done under laboratory conditions with specific equipment and proper experimental design.

Mate when a King puts 15kgs on pressure on my line he aint in a lab......what i need to know is that i can push 22kgs of pressure ( which i never probably will) ........as mentioned....it broke sooner...there is no science to it.....it shopuld hold that weight...simple as that....

Also mine was breaking away from the knot..........

id be interested to hear about the line testing machine you have been using.

i know of only 2 accurate line testing machines.

one is at broken bay gamefishing club.

if you really want to test breaking strains of lines. you should use the right equipment.

there are alot of variables when not testing with the correct machine that can stop you from getting it right.

and i cant say that ive ever used 22kgs of drag on 50pd line. you're asking for trouble. things like water pressure and a slight rub on the back of a fish or any other object would be you waving goodbye.

if you really want to test breaking strains of lines. you should use the right equipment.

there are alot of variables when not testing with the correct machine that can stop you from getting it right.

and i cant say that ive ever used 22kgs of drag on 50pd line. you're asking for trouble. things like water pressure and a slight rub on the back of a fish or any other object would be you waving goodbye.

Corrrrrect!!!

Just tested it again and got 20kg out of it???

I'm gonna try with the knots on here for braid and report back soon.

stay tuned :)

tried the palomar knot and i only got 15kg out of it. I also hurt my knuckle somehow and its bleeding and its gonna bruise as well and its my middle finger! so no more testing today, i'm gonna just watch tv or something safer than testing braid :)

I really dont think the fish are interested in procedures or accuraccy only FOOD>>>

Hey Mate....

I dont think i ever will be pushing 22kgs of drag but i wanna know i can if i ever decide to.....

In testing the line there aint much to it.....you put pressure on the line and see if it holds......just as a fish would.....it aint rocket science.........

As i said i only recommend that everyone test their lines and decide for themselves......I only wanted to make people aware of my findings thats all.

I will still continue to fish with braid on my larger eggbeaters but now i know that i can't lock the drag past 15kgs.......lesson learnt....

I recommend people read the article that is in my last post...in does contradict me but it also has some great info on the corect knots

Edited by netic

To all you raiders who have done "RESEARCH" on breaking strains, can you please describe these "experiments". I imagine when the manufacturers perform their tests they use properly designed, large scale, replicated trials, and the data would be properly analysed, as opposed to tying a lump of weight to the end in your back yard.

davo

To all you raiders who have done "RESEARCH" on breaking strains, can you please describe these "experiments". I imagine when the manufacturers perform their tests they use properly designed, large scale, replicated trials, and the data would be properly analysed, as opposed to tying a lump of weight to the end in your back yard.

davo

As mentioned in previous posts...when testing line strength in aint rocket science.....

Its much the same as when setting your drag preset weight.

I imitate the fight of a fish when doing the line test.

Rod at a 45 degree angle......then apply the weight with a set of quality and accurate measuring scales....

100lb Tuna terror was breaking at 18kg away from the knot..........

Which means if a fish applys the same weight....at the same angle the line would break if i locked my drag beyond 18kg......

Simple as that...........in the end that is all that matters........test it in the same conditions a fish would apply the weight........

You dont need no $10,000 machine to test line................you just test it to the same conditions as it would be if you had a 15kg king on the line......

and mind ou i was jerking the line like a king would.....so technically it would probably break alot sooner

I am thinking of buying some heavier rod and reel combos,and was thinking

of giving braid a try.

After reading some of the posts here I think I will stick to mono.

Thanks to those who shared their test results with us :thumbup: even if u r not rocket

scientists u have saved me a heap of money and hassles.

penguin

Edited by penguin

Pengiun id give the braid a try on a light rod say 4lb or 6lb just to give it a try, as the benefits of braid IMHO go beyond any question over breaking strain. Give it a go for 20 or 30 bucks, and see what you recon :-)

Penguin, Paint stripper is right, it seems to be alot better on the lighter line classes

Anyway i'm over testing my braid.

At the end of the day i got 500m of it and i aint gonna change it in a hurry with a mortgage.

As was mentioned before, just gonna make sure i don't push it above 15kg as well and i should be ok.

Got better things to do the rest of this wk like getting my gear ready for the weekend rock trip to see if i can hook a nice hood and test it for real :)

good luck to you all :)

Anyway i'm over testing my braid.

At the end of the day i got 500m of it and i aint gonna change it in a hurry with a mortgage.

As was mentioned before, just gonna make sure i don't push it above 15kg as well and i should be ok.

Got better things to do the rest of this wk like getting my gear ready for the weekend rock trip to see if i can hook a nice hood and test it for real

good luck to you all

Just make sure you are using the right knots and you may well get more strenght out of it somewhere closer to where it is supposed to be....might make you feel better too....

Penguin, Paint stripper is right, it seems to be alot better on the lighter line classes

I luv my mono and flourocarbons to much in the lighter class,

also a couple of mates use braid on their lighter combos and dont seem

to catch half the fish i get,so that has kinda put me off as well,it may

not be the braid,instead maybe their luck(or lack of).

Who knows but I believe if it aint broken, then dont fix it.

penguin