Pt Kembla - 5 Islands Monday 5/3

Thunder

I went out on Monday in a friends boat with my brother - a 9m Kevlarcat :thumbup: Now this is what I call a fishing boat.

post-2813-1173316408_thumb.jpg

The weather was terrible and the sea was very sloppy, and there was a storm warning, so we decided not to venture too far.

The Kevlarcat handled it with ease and we were travelling at around 30mph through the slop.

It has a top speed of around 130km/h on smooth water. :1prop:

The slop was so bad, it was hard to stand in the back and fish. The waves were coming from all directions and bouncing the boat around. This was on a 9m Kevlarcat, so imagine what it would be like in a tinny.

post-2813-1173316737_thumb.jpg

We trolled around the islands and caught a few bonnies and a couple of slimies. (and dropped a few as well)

Nothing worth taking a picture of.

A pod of around 100 dolphins decided to scare the fish away so we decided to move and do some bottom bashing. Even with 2 snapper leads and 2 sea anchors out, the leads could not hit the bottom. The line was 20 foot out from the boat before it touched the water.

We came back to the harbour, loaded the boat and ate king prawns for lunch and headed home.

Beats working!!!

Cheers

Greg

A couple more piccies for you

post-2813-1173318002_thumb.jpg

Dolphins in this picture to the left

post-2813-1173318069_thumb.jpg

This is my brother next to one of the motors.

post-2813-1173318196_thumb.jpg

In the first post, the tow vehicle is a Ford F250 7 litre turbo diesel - looks like a Tonka Toy next to the boat.

The boat and ute have orange flashing lights and Oversize vehicle flags on the back.

After the Sydney to Hobart yacht race, he drove it from Sydney to Narooma in 7 hours and $250 in fuel.

I am pretty sure it would take longer by road!!!

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Thunder

Very nice boat.....i have been out to the five islands and also found some rough waters, but the rougher the water there the better the fishing...take a look at this pic...

We caught well over 30 kings that day with the largest being 82cm

Edited by netic

Guest IFishSick.

What an aboslute monster of a boat! :1yikes:

Bad luck on the fishing though, but I would give it up just to experience such a boat.

He made the trailer himself which cost him $13000 instead of the $26000 Kevlacat wanted.

The boat was around the price of a house $250,000 - $290,000 (give or take the price of a new car)

It has twin 250hp Suzuki's on it and does 60 knots (approx 130km/h) on smooth water.

He picked it up new last year.

The amazing thing is how high you sit above the water and it just cruises through most of the chop and swell.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Thunder

Very nice boat.....i have been out to the five islands and also found some rough waters, but the rougher the water there the better the fishing...take a look at this pic...

We caught well over 30 kings that day with the largest being 82cm

This is the first time out in his boat.

He did not have much in the way of gear, apart from trolling and bottom bashing, and I did not want to take too much in case he had everything - just adds to the clutter.

We didn't have any squid and the only livies we caught were marlin size stripies, so we just kept trolling in close to the islands.

He gets sea sick, so I think he just likes driving the boat (as you would). He didn't even have an anchor set up - still hidden away in the hatch not even tied on.

We were planning on going down to the shelf off Kiama and troll for Marlin.

Anyone got the GPS marks for the Canyons?

Next time I will know what gear to take.

Downstairs is a toilet and a double bed, - no galley.

Cheers

Greg

Edited by Thunder

Top speed of 130 Kph? Australian Boating mag have a review on this exact boat and they say top speed of 42knots just under 80kph either way I wouldnt mind having it.

I'm only going on what he said.

A smooth day in BB with 1 person and a light fuel load - he was flying.

Cheers

Greg

i thought my boat was good.

thats a true beast.

9m kelvacraft. :1yikes: .

pitty on the conditions ,im thinking of hitting it on the weekend.

we landed a few bonnies on our last venture there as well.

nothing much to rave on about ,thats why we didnt take any pics

nice boat but I would be amazed if it did 60knots

I dont want to confirm or deny anyones claims here. But high speeds are possible in 'Cats.

This boat with twin 175's will do a (GPS indicated) 45knots easy in the calm, and hit 48- 50knots (92.5km/h) with a bit of trimming. Thats with nearly 500 litres of fuel on board.

Its a 1988ish 23 foot SharkCat

boatmod.jpg

I dont want to confirm or deny anyones claims here. But high speeds are possible in 'Cats.

This boat with twin 175's will do a (GPS indicated) 45knots easy in the calm, and hit 48- 50knots (92.5km/h) with a bit of trimming. Thats with nearly 500 litres of fuel on board.

Its a 1988ish 23 foot SharkCat

boatmod.jpg

I am more inclined to believe these facts.

I've fished out of a Kevlacat 3100 Express with twin Yanmar diesel shaft drives.

They are fantastic boats rough weather - He had the Hardtop with lockable cabin, which had heaps

of deck space. The cuddy style cabin your mate has must have heaps of fishing space.

Your mate it a very lucky boatie!

Kevla cat claim to have a game boat that does 52 knots, so I guess if you had the money and the need

for speed getting one to go over 100 km/h wouldnt be out of the question

130 is 72 knots, but anything that big going over 40 knots is going to feel fast! (and be thirsty)

Jason

Nice Cat, these things do really get up and go...i have a 5.6 meter sharkcat with twin 90hp 4 strokes i have hit 41knots in the bay.

Only problem with cats is they ride like they are ride on rails so steering is a little awkward especially at high speeds......tight turns are out of the question. Also need to be very carefull on which angles you ride the swell.

As far as comfort goes and cutting through rough chop well i dont think you can compare sigle to dual hull.

Even 40 knots is scary....hopefully my next upgrade will be something along the lines of that boat.

Great piece of gear