Cleaning Gear

David C

GDay David,

Mate I pretty much come home from a trip and wash rods and reels down with fresh water only. I get bucket of water and a dustpan brush, dunk the brush in and wash down the gear. I then grab a towel and wipe it dry.

Some guys then apply products ilke Inox spray etc as an additional protector. I dont use this stuff myself but I believe its pretty good. Dont use WD-40 whatever you do.

Hope this helps. :D

Well, I give my reels a thorough wash down in running water (with a tightened drag) then pat dried and left on a towel for water to drain. Then spray with some Inox, un-tighten the drag and into a reel bag.

The rods come in the shower with me for a thorough clean with soap and clean the grips. Dry with a towel and into a rod bag.

Every month or so I given the reels a thorough grease and oil change :icon_peace:

Bit extreme, but hey, I aint rolling in cash and if I spend the dollars on good gear I like to look after it :icon_peace:

Cheers

Windy

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning my gear after a day out, but I do it more often than I don't. Lucky for me most of my gear is tough stuff like spnfishers, baitrunners, tlds and alveys. Otherwise :hitsfan: But to clean them I just use a chux cloth and some warm water, sometimes with a bit of soap.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

is it ok after a fishing trip, to just wash down my reels in warm fresh water ( with the drags tightened),, then just dry off the water with a blower or rag, and spray some lubricant such as WD40 or water dispersant rust buster around the bails and levers etc....

i know WD40 got water in it, but some people say its still safe....let me know :D

thanks

WD40 is not a toolbox in a can even though some people see it that way. It is handy but I'm yet to come across a situation where WD40 is the best type of spray for the job. Personally I prefer to use silicon spray on my reels, but I have used inox before in the past and its not bad.

David,

other than using light oil on the rollers, I use Silicon spray on the reels and and give the rods a wipe with it make it easier to clean and keeps them looking new water just beads up after a hose down after a day out, just remember to do your drag up like mentioned and then when dry loosen them off, what I also do is get a bucket of warm water and pour it over the spools as warm water will get rid of most of the salt where cold water wont, the more time you spend looking after your gear the longer it will perform and last.

First thing i do after a day out is to have a shower. Thats is after I tighten all the drags up and lightly wash the reels and rods with warm fresh water and then scrub them with a soft old tooth brush. Then dry and lossen drags then oil up after every use.

Some of my gear is old but still looks like brand new.

Cheers

Lee