Berkely Summer Series

This was one interesting tournie 46 boats entered in it with a big tide difference(1.8 high down to 0.2 low) and lots of water moving My boater Mark and I started fishing mangroves in the upper reaches of the parra for lots of small bream some thumper whiting and one lone keeper A move was needed so it was off to a spot at the beginning of the Lane Cove river where two more legals in the first couple of casts were boated and quite a few annoying choppers Another move was in order after that so off to Patricks docks we went dropped a few good bream here and boated another legal Saw one of the tallships come into the area and stop followed by several ferries thought they might have been picking up people from Darling Harbour until while we were concentrating on flicking casts up under the docks a very loud boom was heard scaring the wits out of us spun around to see what was going on and it was the start of the ferry race We were out of there then as the water was turning into a washing machine Back up to the Parra where we have a couple of low tide spots The one we really wanted to fish was taken so off to spot two This spot yielded a few undersize bream more good whiting and our fifth legal Yay for a bag of 2.690kg We thought we might be in for a prize but were knocked out of tenth spot by the last bag weighed

The only downers for me were two lost SX40s my favorite two

Congrats to Stafford and Chef for making the top ten

And a bigger congrats to Gibodfisho and Richp for taking out the series

Edited by The Iceman

We cant complain I guess,

We had our bag by 8.40 and tryed ever so hard to upgrade. 20 or so legals later we ended up with 2.860kg just ahead of Ice and Co. On the bright side we did end the series off in second place !

Congrats to Rich P and Co, Great consistancy paid off guys !

Chris

What are the prizes for the rankings for these things anyway?

Sounds like it was an awesome day either way Iceman, and as long as ya had a good time thats the main thing. Hopefully next time ya can get that one step further :1fishing1:

It was really a day for hunting. You had to move around alot in order to find them and even then they were usually on the move and so the search continued.

We started off on the flats in Iron Cove where we must have got 20+ flatties and just as many taylor. :thumbdown: We picked up two legals, one kicker of about 900gr.

We then moved to some flats up the river where we found a nice little sweet spot that saw three legals come over the side, again one of about 900gr and another of about 800gr.

We kept on the move but apart from upgrading on flatties, taylor, whiting & undersized bream (lots of undersize bream) we didn't see another bream of legal size.

Our bag went 3.108 and saw us take 7th place. As good as it was there were some cracker fish taken. The 3 biggest fish taken on the day were 1.47 1.43 & 1.42. Not bad when i think all of these came from the same area, LC river boat hulls, as best as i found out.

All in all it was a great day, even with all those flatties. As for the prizes, i can tell you we got some really cool team Berkley shirts, rolls of vanish leader, heaps of power bait lures, stubbie coolers, gift vouchers for Gabes Tackle, Berkley & Gulp hats etc etc etc - really nice stuff.

If i may take the liberty, i should also say a quick thanks to Tony at Fishfinder for all the help & support he gave the team. His rods made all the difference in being able to lock & load a fish in when you had to or go the opposite way and have it run with soft drag and let the rod do the work. It made it sooooooo easy to bring in the bigger ones in any water conditions and not have to worry about the rod go bang.

Cmon guys we need more Raiders at these gigs. They are alot of fun and a great way to catch up with others. If your keen to learn plastic fishing you will not find a better venue than these events as you can ask the pro's questions, listen to the conversations and sometimes even get out on their boats. Apart from that you have a really good time - they become a little addictive.

The prizes are great 1st 2nd and 3rd get cash prizes There are Engel eskis and prize packs like Chefs some of which include PFDs the sort that are small and comfortable to wear all day Big bream is a full kit of wet weather gear plus other stuff Then there are ten prizes pulled out of a hat so everyone is in with a chance of winning something as well as a box full of goodies(hats keyrings and packets of plastics) that were just tossed out in to the crowd

That was the last of this series so you will now have to wait till next summer which will start in november I think

Edited by The Iceman

Nice one guys!

It was a good size feild and to get near the top was a great effort.

Pat and I went out with a totally new plan of attack, more fun and less stress.

Top water was the order of the day with us chucking poppers in areas we normally fish but have never fished on the surface.

Things started off very well and we thought we stood a chance but then things turned the fishes way! :mad3:

Four fish in the well very early with 2 nice 800 gram'ers

Dropped fish arfter dropped fish then the tide ran out of puff and so did the bites :thumbdown:

We stayed with the surface as it's just to fun but in hind site we should have changed to our normal drop down the hulls routine to at least finish the bag.

Oh well that's fishing but top water is just to much fun to change back to boring gulp fishing!

Greg

Luke and I had a good day on the water. we had high hopes early, with our first fish, an 800ger, in the well by 7.20. We fished the flats in Iron Cove and had 3 fish by 10.30, plus heaps of undersize ones and lots of bycatch thrown in, flatties, taylor and some thumper whiting. Then it all went quiet for us. We had a couple of moves, with 1 more fish coming aboard in Lane Cove, but we couldn't fill our bag.

I'd definately agree with Chef, these events are great fun. I've really enjoyed my first season of tournament fishing.

Cheers, greg

Grear report Andrew..... Matt ( Brown rockcod ) & I found it a bit tough on the day.

Our first 3 Bream were 24.5 cm to the fork , could not beleive it :mad3:

Our first stop was the outside wall of a marina, gave it 40 min could not crack a fish.

Then off to plan 2..... gave the flats a go using Hardbodies, a few fish came aboard,

couldn't get that keeper. Moved around a bit trying to find fish, still not that 25cm Plus.

Ended up at various Wharfs & piers on the way back. Changed back to the Old faithful

Watermelon Bass minnow... Yeah, finally cracked it but a bit late in the day... Oh well

got one on the board.. So as the other guys say come along , give it a go. Great people

If you want to learn about breaming, come along & give it a go.

Tight Lines

Tom

One weird thing I forgot to mention, I would like to thank Lowrance sounders for saving my life!

At the start of the day just after the Gladesville bridge, we were flying along at 68mph and a darn sea gull committed suicide straight into the sounder that's mounted on the side of my console!

If the sounder wasn't there or as big it would have either collected my face or my shoulder! :1yikes:

Lowrance LCX110C

Color sounder

GPS

driver protection!

Now that's a combo unit! :thumbup:

Greg

Thanks Iceman, it was awesome to take out the overall points and the cash was a 'reel' bonus. Great way to finish the series and Rich P and I achieved some PB's along the way. Rich fished Hard bodies on the flats and surface along shorelines, I fished gulps looking for a big fish but besides our smallest weigher was net boy for most of the day. Looking forward to the next series already.

One weird thing I forgot to mention, I would like to thank Lowrance sounders for saving my life!

At the start of the day just after the Gladesville bridge, we were flying along at 68mph and a darn sea gull committed suicide straight into the sounder that's mounted on the side of my console!

If the sounder wasn't there or as big it would have either collected my face or my shoulder! :1yikes:

Lowrance LCX110C

Color sounder

GPS

driver protection!

Now that's a combo unit! :thumbup:

Greg

Gees Greg I would have thought that you would realise that sooner or later you would run into something like a low flying bird when your doing 70 odd miles an hour :1yikes::074: