Jigging Around Wollongong ?

bathtub

Hi there,

Wondering if anyone is into jigging here? I wish to do some jigging around wollongong and wondering if anyone

does jigging too. If so what is the usual jig weight, thanks. Also, I'm looking for people to go jigging with.

Thanks

B.

never done jigging mate sorry, I'm sure you would get a few kings around the islands though just depends what depth you need I guess - I dunno I have never done jigging before...

Ben

Thanks, but would you be interested in trying? .......... Just asking. :thumbup:

B.

yeah if ya know how and can teach me mate, i heard it's hard work !! Do you have a boat?

Ben

Sorry, don't have a boat, just an international student. Can't afford one. I don't know a lot about jigging cos there is so much to learn. Looking for people who likes to jig so we can do it on a cost sharing basis or something. And if you are interested in any other other types of fishing , I'm game for it too.

B.

Hi Bath,

A charter boat I fish from takes us jigging for kings on a few of the reefs around Kiama/Gerringong. Been down to JB as well.

We use knife jigs in the 200 - 400 gram range depending on the current flow.

We use a singe hook snelled on a short piece of dacron which is tied to the top of the jig. Dont bother with a hook at the bottom of the jig because we never seemed to get anything with it. We use a short length of fluro carbon leader tied to a swivel at the end of a long double. We use high speed egg beaters, 80lb braid and custom jig sticks.

We fish in water in the 60 - 120 m range and always get amoung the kingies. Biggest so far for the group I fish with went just a touch over 17KG :1yikes: . Caught in Winter by my mate last year.

So far as Wollongong goes I have heard that the ship wreck in stanwell park (?) has a few Jewies at the moment and they are being caught on pink 180 gram knife jigs.

Perhaps jigging could part of a future FR workshop?

Evets

G'day,

The jig weight you use all depends on what weight you jig rod is rated at. Choose a jig that weighs anywhere between the ratings marked on you rod and you will be fine. Oh, and if you're start jigging I suggest you go to the gym and build up your upper body strength and book a good chripractor, haha.

Hope this helps.

Dougy

Thanks Evets.

I have 2 jigging setup loaded with PE lines ,also have a couple of knife jigs and also river 2 sea "sea rocks". I agree with the use of only a single assit hook, cos i got snagged a few times when i used the bottom hook. I would like to ask why the use of a short leader and also a swivel? I was taught to use solid rings and a relatively long FC leader. Really interested to know the reason why you are doing so, so that I can learn more. Thanks

Bathtub,

I use a short leader because like to have as much control over the fish as possible. If I have a long leader I find that the swivel or brass ring is wound up to near the rod tip and the fish could still be 3 - 4 m away. With a shorter leader of say 1.5 m (and a long double of say 4 m) the fish is usually much closer to the surface. Much easier (and safer) for the gaffman. Sometimes I fish by my self and there is no way I could land some of the fish I catch if I had a long leader.

Why do I use a swivel? Well I have noticed that with the heavier knife jigs they some times have a tendenancy to spin on the way down. The swivel obviously eliminates the twist. I should have mentioned that I use a game swivel and not the cheap brass ones.

Nothing wrong with a long leader and brass ring. I fish this way because it works for me.

Evets