Squid In The Hacking

Guest IFishSick.

Guest IFishSick.

Hey Raiders,

Just a quick report for an after school sesh.

Homework done by 3:30pm so get the rods and tackle ready and I set course for Port Hacking spot X. Hoping to get onto some Frigates I flick my little metal Pilchard imitation around for half an hour or so for nothing. Seeing no surface activity I decided Squidding was the go.

First cast I hook onto a healthy little Southern Calamari Squid. He goes back as I didn't need bait and was sure I would get some more for dinner. Over the next 5 casts I got continuous follow ups from squid but no takers as they would swim off when they saw me.

Tried the good old Prawn Oil on the 1.8g Yo-Zuri jig and cast out. After one lift of the rod the line goes tight on the drop and I know this is a better one. He went nuts at the surface and I thought I was going to lose him but he held on and a nice 19cm Squid was landed. Tucker :biggrin2:

post-2529-1174382122_thumb.jpg

More scent on the jig and out it goes. No takers the first run, but the second I hook up to an even bigger squid. The rod buckles over and with every pulse of the squid line is stripped from the spool. I ease him across the surface in worry of losing him and he is safely pulled onto the sand for a snap shot and a measure, 24cm :yahoo: My new PB

post-2529-1174382154_thumb.jpg

Had 2 nice big squid for dinner so tried flicking metals around again for no luck. Not to worry I was wrapped with my giant squid. Considering the average size the Hacking is holding atm you can fit the whole squid in the palm of your hand.

The water was flat all day and it looked the goods for some fly-fishing. Pity I don't have a fly rod but it might be worth a try in the future.

post-2529-1174382315_thumb.jpg

Edited by IFishSick.

Hey Raiders,

Just a quick report for an after school sesh.

Homework done by 3:30pm so get the rods and tackle ready and I set course for Port Hacking spot X. Hoping to get onto some Frigates I flick my little metal Pilchard imitation around for half an hour or so for nothing. Seeing no surface activity I decided Squidding was the go.

First cast I hook onto a healthy little Southern Calamari Squid. He goes back as I didn't need bait and was sure I would get some more for dinner. Over the next 5 casts I got continuous follow ups from squid but no takers as they would swim off when they saw me.

Tried the good old Prawn Oil on the 1.8g Yo-Zuri jig and cast out. After one lift of the rod the line goes tight on the drop and I know this is a better one. He went nuts at the surface and I thought I was going to lose him but he held on and a nice 19cm Squid was landed. Tucker :biggrin2:

post-2529-1174382122_thumb.jpg

More scent on the jig and out it goes. No takers the first run, but the second I hook up to an even bigger squid. The rod buckles over and with every pulse of the squid line is stripped from the spool. I ease him across the surface in worry of losing him and he is safely pulled onto the sand for a snap shot and a measure, 24cm :yahoo: My new PB

post-2529-1174382154_thumb.jpg

Had 2 nice big squid for dinner so tried flicking metals around again for no luck. Not to worry I was wrapped with my giant squid. Considering the average size the Hacking is holding atm you can fit the whole squid in the palm of your hand.

The water was flat all day and it looked the goods for some fly-fishing. Pity I don't have a fly rod but it might be worth a try in the future.

post-2529-1174382315_thumb.jpg

Hey mate how u goin?

is there any chance you can help me out with catching squid durin the day? wat spot did u go to... i tried lilli pilli and this other warf in the hacking and came up empty handed after 2 hours of squiding. i got the same jig as u in pink and orange ... any help will be great..

thanks

There's a lot of squid around at the moment, you just have to put the time in. The other night I gave a friend a rod with a $2 orange crappity crap jig on it and he managed to pull in a squid, and about 2 weeks ago I caught one on a little metal lure that I was flicking around for bonito... you just have to put the time in and watch what other people do.

Of course to get them when it's hard going, or to get a lot in a short amount of time, takes a lot of skill. I'm still learning about that.

Guest IFishSick.

seeing that school finishes at 3:!5pm, i think you're not getting enough homework :1prop:

Not quite mate. I'm a senior and at my school the seniors start at 7:28am and finish and finish at 12:54pm.

It's an awsome way to have more time for homework and fishing in the afternoons.