Zero Bites At The Cliff

BrianC

Hi all,

I'm Brian, I'm new to this whole fishing scene and to the forums also. Anyway, last night me and a mate of mine thought we were 'in the know' we took all (we thought) we needed and headed down to Ciffton gardens at around 11pm last night.

We took the advice of someone with a bit more experience than us, and rigged our line up with a size 8 sinker and a swivel + a meter of line that ran off that, to a 4/0 gang hook, using a good sized frozen pilly, presented as best we could. High tide was around 1am, so we cast in about 90mins prior till around an hour afterwards ...Didn't get a bite at all the WHOLE night :1fishing1:

The blokes nearby caught some small things, but not the large Kingies that we were hoping for.

So I thought I'd ask some help from you guys, any suggestions on what we may have been doing wrong? Or were there just no Kingies around that night?

I found we've had more luck in the past with a single similar sized hook, using a much smaller sinker and a floater and some Hawksbury Prawns - didn't bring us any Kingfish, but some decent sized fish none the less.

We're trying to catch those larger fish out there, but so far without any luck. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Brian :yahoo:

gday brian welcom to fish raider, the boys here will give you all the good advice you need just gotta stick with it get out and experience, the more you fish the more you learn even if your not catchin.

no8, thats huge.

good idea to use some berly too!

good luck mate.

welcome to fishraider

your best bet is to try and fish early morning sunrise or late arvo sunset i find this to be the best to fish for most andalso more likely to get a king fish at this time but u can get them during the day with no probs but night fishing for kingfish is not the best idea

hope to read more of you reports

cheers

Edited by sambo1

Guest dicko1

yeah mate agree with what the people above said. Also if you can catch some fresh squid off the wharf you will be in with a much better chance. Also, dont use such a heavy sinker, lightly weighte or even unweighted is best, and burley up! Good luck mate!

Hey Brian,

Hang in there buddy, keep trying and take advantage of what these "Kingy Fishos" tell you in their reports. I don't fish the harbour but love reading their reports anyway, these guys obviously know what they are doing and have been doing it well for some time now.

:1welcomeani: and :thumbup:

Cheers

Jeff.

Hey all,

Thanks for the all the warm welcome and the quick responses! I'm coming to realize night fishing for kingies is probably not the best option. We've pretty much just been trying to follow the high tide. That's another thing i wanted to ask everyone: Is it absolutely necessary to fish during high tide? Sometimes we want to get out and fish, but we decide its not worth it because of the low tide.

About catching squid, we've been trying to catch them with a squid jig and a hand line, and nothing else - But with no luck whatsoever. What do you think is the best technique to catch squid out at Cliffton? Should we bait the squid jig? Ours is a little reddish-orange thing that looks like a prawn, with a few hooks at one end.

We have however caught a tonne of yellow tails with just a handline and this special little jig used for that purpose (i forgot what its called?) with some bread mixed with water and tuna oil to lure them in first. Ideally though, we'd like to use live squid - just haven't had any luck with our squid-jig method :thumbdown:

Brian :thumbup:

Guest IFishSick.

Hey all,

Thanks for the all the warm welcome and the quick responses! I'm coming to realize night fishing for kingies is probably not the best option. We've pretty much just been trying to follow the high tide. That's another thing i wanted to ask everyone: Is it absolutely necessary to fish during high tide? Sometimes we want to get out and fish, but we decide its not worth it because of the low tide.

About catching squid, we've been trying to catch them with a squid jig and a hand line, and nothing else - But with no luck whatsoever. What do you think is the best technique to catch squid out at Cliffton? Should we bait the squid jig? Ours is a little reddish-orange thing that looks like a prawn, with a few hooks at one end.

We have however caught a tonne of yellow tails with just a handline and this special little jig used for that purpose (i forgot what its called?) with some bread mixed with water and tuna oil to lure them in first. Ideally though, we'd like to use live squid - just haven't had any luck with our squid-jig method :thumbdown:

Brian :thumbup:

A bait jig. Sabiki are the best, make sure you buy quality jigs.

As for squid, nothing catches them better than Yo-Zuri's. Spend the money and you are rewarded greatly. Just give it a long pull when its in the water, jsut before it reaches the bottom repeat, or jig it up then let it sink.

The tide really doesn't matter all that much, it's about being in the right place at the right time. If you get some good burley going with good live bait you have just as much chance of getting a fish.

:1welcomeani: Brian,

Ive also found that if the fish arnt biting, to appropriately downsize your line. It can make all the difference, especially at places like cliffo. but dont go too light as you will have the oystered pylons to deal with, when fighting a king!

Cheers

Davy

Gday brian

As said others said, night fishing for kingies probly isnt your best bet

High tide is not a must, recently i have been catching them at the turn of the low, fresh bait is better i.e squid or yakkas caught that day

Although a burly trail with unweighted pilchard cubes floatred down can work wonders.

If you want anymore help, just give me a PM

Rob :1fishing1:

welcome to fishraider Brian,

just to top off what everyone else has already said, try single hooks as opposed to gang hooks. and yeah, berley up - not so much that ur feeding the fish as some ppl do, but jst enough to entice them. i've only seen one guy land a kingie at night...

goodluck, and hopefully u'll be onto ur first kingie in no time :biggrin2:

G'day Brian,

I too an reasonably new to fishing & especially CG. I have been down there for the past 6 or so Friday evenings & not had any luck with Kingys or the bonito or mackerel that have been zooming around every time I've been there. I have listened to everyone who has offered advice & read many posts & am sure I'm not far away form a big haul one arvo down there before the end of the season. I have picked up a few nice bream though & am quite happy to land those while I wait for the others. I have tried prawns, pillies & sp's & can only say hang in there. I have not seen a kingy hooked while I've been there but have seen numerous bonito & macherel netted. Most have been hooked on either unweighted live yellow tail or pillies floated unweighted in a nice burly trail. Good luck & maybe I'll see you there some time.

Paul

Hey Everyone!

Thanks again for the warm welcome :1clap: I've already learned a lot from this thread. First thing I need to sort out is my bait catching gear. IFishSick suggested Sabiki & Yo-Zuri's as the best, so i'll try and get my hands on them. Although from reading other threads, I also came across something called Egimax, Has anyone tried this stuff? Are squid jigs meant to be baited or scented? Or am I meant to just toss them in as they are?

Also, I've been underestimating the power of a good berley trail. Are there any rules of thumb regarding how much burley is enough? Where to throw it in? How far from the wharf? How often? etc..

A few of you suggested downsizing my line, I suspected my line was a lil too heavy with the size 8 on board, i'll give that a shot - probably make casting a tad easier too.

Rob/KingsRule, thanks for the advice dude, I'll be sure to drop u a PM before the next time I head off.

It looks like I'll have to try my best to get out and fish in the day more often, rather than at night. I hope to see you all out there some time! :1fishing1:

Cheers! :beersmile:

Brian

Just thought i would add to this thread also.....

First of all have never burleyed for kings...even when i was landbased....never found the ned to...

Egimax is a great product that does increase the number of hits but i use to catch plenty of squid before egimax was around, also the biggest downside to Egimax is the fact that it wears out your jigs alot quicker.

Since using egimax the jig comes apart at the bottom much sooner.

Yozuri's are good but Yamashitas are better....Get the right ones though, Yamashita has over 10 designs of jigs and 2 types are absolute gun when it comes to squidding...recently other fisho's like Kelvin and Big Steve have seen the difference between Yama's and Yozuri's.

And the only other bit of advice i can give is to kee persisting...it will happen...just keep trying mate

backing up what netic said, the brand new range of yamashita's are alot better than the yozuri's. I've spoken to two local tackle shop owners who have said that the yamashita's are landing alot more squids than the yozuri's. The new range is a bit more expensive though, but worth it.