Sydney Harbour Sat 24/3/07

Dano1

Hey all,

Sydney harbour was firing again yesterday, Tim and i took out a mate who had never caught a king, we gave him a 90% chance of caching a king. that was soon increased to 100% when we had 18-20 squid in the live well by 6am.

Sorry have to be quick but we did get him a king infact he caught 5, i caught 5 and tim caught 7. new boat record!!The day started with a triple hook up :biggrin2: Out of the 17 kings boated only 2 were undersize, the rest averaged from 62cm - 68cm not huge but good fun!!

We headed back in at about 12 with a king each and a couple of squid! The rest of the kings were realesed!

Here's a photo of me and my mate with his first king average photo sorry, my mates the one holding it with a towel (amature). :074: ha ha..and a beautaful photo of the harbour at first light

post-3412-1174779822_thumb.jpg

post-3412-1174779865_thumb.jpg

post-3412-1174780166_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dano1

G,day Johnno.

Well done I bet your mate is stoked, but he'll think this fishing for kings is too easy with you setting him up with a first up catch of 5. Nice work, I bet he cant wait to get out again.

Cheers.

Hey Dano!

Squid alley has been firing ay???? :thumbup:

Well done on the kingys mate

Dan an Greg

G'day D&G

Squid alley?? you must mean squid freeway :074::074::074: Definatly firing at the moment!!

The weather did'nt play the game for you 2day or did u fight the eliments?

Dan.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply's, yeah was a action packed morning the best was the tripple hook up with my mate wressling in his first king!! :yahoo:

hpe to get out mid week this week get away from the crowds!! hopefully Tim and I get to give the downrigger a good work out! as its a bit hard to downrig with 3 in th boat exspecialy when my mates new to kings and he's happy to pull in 60's all day long!! Not that i wouldn't be though, but with the downrigger should give us a chance at hopfully nailing a few bigger ones!! :thumbup:

Dan.

Thats a lot of fish, well done. I was out yesterday, found the marker buoys too crowded and downrigged for 1 king only and undersize at that!. Great that you released most of them.

What line weight do you use? I was thinking that with all the crowds the kingfish might be shy of heavier lines so I would be interested to know what you were using? Also, do you use the squid whole, or in pieces/strips?

RobMc

G'day Rob,

Mate i caught most of my fish with the lighter gear 15lb braid! still using 80lb leader though! mate caught all 5 of his on 80lb braid with 80lb leader i only fish lighter leaders when i cant get squid. As ive been bitten off a few to many times in the past to risk it!

As for live or strips, I always start the day by throwing down a live squid if we've got enough to play with that is! then revert to squid heads and strips! I sometimes think a fresh squid head will out fish a live squid seems to happen alot! Depends if theres pickers around!

As for sinker weight i normally have a small bean sinker depending on tide etc.. on my main line then a snap swivel with my 80lb rig hooked on to that.

Dan.

Well done mate, great result...good stuff...we also got a heap of squid and kings yesterday....we ended up with over 20 squid aswell....i presume you guys were the boat next to us.

Hey netic,

I only saw the sticker just b4 we left was wondering if thet was you!! sorry mate!

good work on the squid and kings! will see you out there soon!

Dan.

Edited by Dano1

G'day D&G

Squid alley?? you must mean squid freeway :074::074::074: Definatly firing at the moment!!

The weather did'nt play the game for you 2day or did u fight the eliments?

Dan.

ROFLMAO! :074::074::074:

Abit of both mate! There was a nice 1.5M swell rolling through the heads this morning @ 6am and a good 30knt breeze, cough! :ranting2:

Got stacks of bait though! At least the next 3 trips taken care of if we get zero squid on that day. What day your planning on heading out during the week? Im trying to swindle tues off to :1fishing1:

cheers

D & G

ROFLMAO! :074::074::074:

Abit of both mate! There was a nice 1.5M swell rolling through the heads this morning @ 6am and a good 30knt breeze, cough! :ranting2:

Got stacks of bait though! At least the next 3 trips taken care of if we get zero squid on that day. What day your planning on heading out during the week? Im trying to swindle tues off to :1fishing1:

cheers

D & G

Tide weather and moon look good for friday.

Might have to give ourselfs a RDO if theres not to much on.

How do you find frozen squid that you have caught yourself as bait??? Ive never had much luck seems fresh fresh fresh is the key!!

Dan.

As good as freshly jigged that day!!!!!

That is providing of course, you put them straight into one of those glad resealed lunch bags, an put them into ice straight away!

You may/maynot realise but we have no live bait tank on our boat, ALL of our kingys are caught this way :1fishing1: ....It works wonders for us.

We have never see a kingy knock back a squid that we have stored this way.

D & G

Edited by Dan and Greg

As good as freshly jigged that day!!!!!

That is providing of course, you put them straight into one of those glad resealed lunch bags, an put them into ice straight away!

You may/maynot realise but we have no live bait tank on our boat, ALL of our kingys are caught this way :1fishing1: ....It works wonders for us

D & G

Sweet!!

I had a live one still in the tank at tunks 1 day sliped him straight in to a resealable bag then straight home into the frezzer! it produced nothing not even pickers! Must of been the day!!

Have u ever thought of fitting a bait tank?? Very simple!! we made our one, it cost us about $60 for the whole thing works a treat!!

Dan.

Yeah might have been the day :1badmood: ,,, but if you find or know where the kingys are they will not knock this squid back!

The other week gregs kingy was caught on a squid head stored this way, caught a week before!!! Should have seen the sounder when greg hooked up too, kingys where stacked ontop of each other.

Pity we ran outa bait!!! :ranting2:

We have thought about it (baittank), for over a year same as a downrigger, but with enough time, an hours on the water,,,, an some guess work,,,, we sometimes find the kingys lol

D & G

Edited by Dan and Greg

Yeah might have been the day :1badmood: ,,, but if you find or know where the kingys are they will not knock this squid back!

The other week gregs kingy was caught on a squid head stored this way, caught a week before!!! Should have seen the sounder when greg hooked up too, kingys where stacked ontop of each other.

Pity we ran outa bait!!! :ranting2:

We have thought about it (baittank), for over a year same as a downrigger, but with enough time, an hours on the water,,,, an some guess work,,,, we sometimes find the kingys lol

D & G

Don't you hate when u run outa bait it's always when the fish are on the chew!!

I think our next investment will be a decent sounder as the one we have at the moment is only good for depth and water temprature!! I wont belive anything else it tells me!!

Dan.

Ours was less than $350 but it does a superb job!

With alot of fine tuning ours picks up most things including rocks an other underwater structure very well!

D & G

Dont need expensive gear, just gear that works WELL :tease:

Edited by Dan and Greg