Pelagic Fish?

Mik

Ok, you're about to see why I called meself Boofhead on a fishing forum! :1prop:

Pelagic fish, I know a few species that are pelagic but was wondering what defines a Pelagic fish?

Is "Pelagic" a species, form, type or what?

I notice most fish I know as pelagic (And I could be wrong in naming them here but hey, that's why I'm asking) have solid streamlined tails (Kingfish, Tuna etc) which seem stiffer than the tail of say a bream. Is this what marks them as Pelagic?

Also, if a fish isn't Pelagic then what is it? Are there other types or just Pelagic & one other?

EDIT: Sorry, just realised I probably should have put this post in the Aquarium, feel free to move it anyone!

Edited by Boofhead

Mate can I quote Rexxy on his show today?

"Any fish that swims on or near the surface of the ocean"

Or this link says.

The pelagic zone is the part of the open sea or ocean that is not near the coast or sea floor. In contrast, the demersal zone comprises the water that is near to (and is significantly affected by) the coast or the sea floor. The name is derived from the Greek πέλαγος (pélagos), which might be roughly translated as "sea" but is more accurately translated as "open sea."

Hope that helps a smig...

Cheers.

Robbie.

EDIT,

You just beat me to it Penguin :)

Edited by Robbielites

Here's what Wikipedia says for what it's worth:

"The pelagic zone is the part of the open sea or ocean that is not near the coast or sea floor. In contrast, the demersal zone comprises the water that is near to (and is significantly affected by) the coast or the sea floor. The name is derived from the Greek πέλαγος (pélagos), which might be roughly translated as "sea" but is more accurately translated as "open sea.""

Never heard of the Demersal zone before.

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by MallacootaPete

No such thing as a silly question, Ya never ask ,ya never learn.

Here's a quote talking about Demersal Fisheries Targetting Dermersal Fish.

What are Demersal Fisheries?

Demersal fisheries target species which live on the or near the seabed and feed on bottom-living organisms and other fish. Although fisheries may be directed towards particular species or species groups, demersal fish are often caught together and comprise a mixed demersal fishery.

Or just have a Goggle around.

B.F.

Guest dicko1

Hey mate, this is a quote from one of no no no's articles:

"What is a pelagic fish ? I don't know. The dictionary defines them as being 'of the deep sea'. My fishing encyclopedia defines it as being 'free floating or free swimming' as apposed to living on the sea bed. Another says 'surface fish of the open sea'. And yet another fishing reference describes them as being 'any fish that spawns free floating eggs."

Probably doesnt solve your problems, but might steer you in the right direction. My understanding of the term has always been 'free swimming', in that they do not form residency in a certain area like say a cod or mangrove jack might occupy a particular snag for sometime.

I always thought it just meant the fast, ocean dwelling fish that will come to the surface and aggressively take lures & baits/fish - mackerel, tuna, marlin, even tailor - as against your deeper dwelling cousins, snapper, groper etc that just hang around mid to low water.

Cheers

Roberta

Wonderful!

Thanks so much folks, you've really cleared that up for me!!! :074::074::074:

Actually, I am officially educated on Pelagics now. Thanks everyone for your thoughts & knowledge. :thumbup:

Just to add confusion into the mix.... A lot of so called "pelagic" fish are bottom feeders as well. Catch plenty of kings with baits on the bottom. Also caught plenty of leather jackets on the surface.

SO who knows???? . Are trevally a pelagic species?? Lots of golden trevs are caught on yabbie flats when they are scooping up yabbies. Whiting are caught on the south coast on surface poppers . Big Eye tuna are caught 100m or more down.

I guess it is a good term but doesn't really describe much to me anyway! Cheers Kelvin