Wharf

DaveD

Can anyone recommend what seems to be the best way to have a nice time fishing using prawns, and without having the little buggers sucking them off while your waiting for a nice big bite ?

This is all land based/wharf fishing so its not exactly out in the middle of the harbour.

My only thoughts were a bigger hook, but then the little snapper and bream would most likely still clean up the prawns regardless, except I'd lose the bait without even catching them.

Guest IFishSick.

Or try casting it unweighted as far as you possibly can away from the warf into the deeper water, you should give the bigger fish a chance at getting the biat that way as the littlies have to travel from the bottom up through mid water

An example was me fishing perhaps from the wharf at Captain Cooks bridge, and before that, a number of wharves around port Hacking, I'm good at hooking the littlies, pity theyre never legal.

Edited by AmateurDave

Guest IFishSick.

PLENTY of good flatties at both those locations

as i said some good 65mm black and gold squidgy shads on a 6g jig head with a 3/0 hook or similar would give you better odds

CFD

But don't bother trying it out at Lilli Pilli Baths Warf, the jackets will destroy your soft plastic tails in the blink of an eye. :wife:

hey,

If you would like to catch big fish, there must be little fish around. A few tips that may help include, using a bigger prawn or a half hitch around the tail of the prawn. Also if you can get hold of some bait cotton this is useful. Simply bind the prawn to the hook and it shoulndt come off too easily. Hope this is a little helpful.

Dougy

is that wharf public ?

how do you get to it ?

Lilli pilli baths is open to the public

Its right down the end of port hacking road

What are you fishing for?

If its just bream ect... why not try a piece of slimy or squid?