Hawkesbury Heaven

MGibbo

After making an impulse decision (which my family are good at) to head down to the Hawkesbury late Saturday afternoon and actually camp riverside, we were disappointed to find that there were many already with the same idea at Bar Point, so we went in search of a patch of ground we could claim as our own. Just before darkness settled in we found somewhere to set up and envisaged a night of fishing, however, once all the chores were done HAPPY HOUR ruled thus not been able to head out in the boat. Anyway getting on with the story, another Raider family joined us and a good night was had by all 10 of us under the stars and in front of a great fire surrounded by possums on heat. Great effort Stumpy and family on arriving in the dark to set up two new tents!

Sunday morning saw another beautiful day head our way, so we packed up our gear and headed to Juno to have a fish - resulting in 3 bream (me), 2 tailor (my boys) and a 37cm flathead (me) which were all photographed then released. Tried chicken guts today - messy, smelly but effective. Must try the catfood in the stocking trick next time. One of the highlights was being able to wet my new birthday rod and reel (thanks Stumpy - got the hang of the new reel once we hit the water ... look out!).

Cheers Marg

Love the river and spending quality time with my family which is extra special when it includes one of my favourite obsessions - I'm so happy they appreciate it as well.

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers Marg

to see kids enjoying fishing is priceless, i love taking my nephews and nieces fishing...one nephew in particular got a 65cm jew the first time i took him out, he still reminds me of it.

btw, be carefull kissing those tailor, they have a nasty habit of chomping anything that gets close and it hurts.

btw, be carefull kissing those tailor, they have a nasty habit of chomping anything that gets close and it hurts.

:dito:

The kids look happy as

well done

Edited by johnno

Hey MGibbo,

Great report there. There were lots of fishing club comps on the weekend so thats why the good spots were crowded.

Is that twin beaches you were camped at?

Cheers Jeff.

There were lots of boats out - I suppose Saturday night's weather conditions were so favourable, especially with the full moon for Jews and the calmness of the waters - it's a bummer that we had too much to drink once we set up our tents Saturday night. I'm not sure if the twin beaches you speak of are the ones at Bar Pt, just before you enter down to go to Berowra Waters - if so, no this wasn't the place as there wasn't any room left. We found a beach up Brooklyn way that displayed no signs to say we couldn't be there.

It's a shame you can't camp at Gunya - that's such a great beach and not far from where all the action is.

Would love info on any riverside campsites raiders know where you can just leave your boat next to your campsite, anywhere is fine but the Hawkesbury is more convenient.

Cheers Marg

That was Dead Horse Bay

Where the sailing club run from

Oi Stumpy - I know where I was, I just wasn't going to disclose it down to the exact location as I'm sure those that know the area would have guessed that anyway, so if the same thing happens next time with regards to Bar Pt being packed we have the other place to go. Remember not all people that read these posts are Raider members.

By the way, nice report on your Dad.

Oi Stumpy - I know where I was, I just wasn't going to disclose it down to the exact location as I'm sure those that know the area would have guessed that anyway, so if the same thing happens next time with regards to Bar Pt being packed we have the other place to go. Remember not all people that read these posts are Raider members.

By the way, nice report on your Dad.

I didnt tell them about the vagrant that lived there and the fact that you slept with all the fishing knives under your pillow!!!

They call them "Chopper" tailor for a reason.

I remember one around the same size latched onto my brothers finger when he was 12.

This thing would not let go for love nor money.

Every time I put the knife near him it bit harder.

We eventually got it off, but he had some nice cuts in his finger.

Looks like you had a good weekend.

Kids love fishing and it gets them away from the TV and Computer.

I'd love to do that one weekend, but the :wife: idea of camping is a 4 star motel instead of a 5 star motel.

Amazing how you change as you get older (and used to all the creature comforts - as opposed to creatures!!!)

You should have cooked the flattie, they are great for kids as you can fittet them so they have no bones.

Tasty too!!!

Cheers

Greg

hahah nice report..

I can just imagine your kids' reactions when they caught those fish :)

haha tailor can fight hard even if they are that big ... and get kids worked up hardcore! haha :D

conragts and its good to see you guys had such a good time... some nice scenery around too..

shant

RE: Kissing Fish - didn't I open up a can of worms there but I've definitely learnt something which I'll pass on. Luckily my son's lips are still intact.

RE: Camping - I suppose it's good that there are people who don't like the thought of camping (both male and female) as it leaves more room for us, however, I feel for those that may have made that decision without actually experiencing a campfire under the stars. My kids (3 boys) are happiest when we are out in the great outdoors - there's no fights, no playstation/TV and plenty of exercise and fun. Dessert is always toasted marshmallows by the fire and we eat lots of easy yummy food ie. BBQ's, jaffles, wraps or fresh fish and now that winter is coming we'll probably heat up some premade casseroles or curries. Now that we have a boat we can head to places that some other campers can't reach but we still sit and sleep comfortably and occasionally pack the hammock. Life's too short so we should make the most of it and enjoy this beautiful planet.

RE: Flathead - I've got to admit something silly here - one of us (OK me) misread the legal fish size guide and read what was legal in Qld rather than NSW (I'll never do that again), therefore, resulting in the flattie being released to see another day. Oh well, it will be bigger for when the next angler hooks it. It is a great fish to fillet and delicious when baked with some sweet chilli sauce.

Cheers Marg

Edited by MGibbo

Nice one Gibbo.

All your Nancy Pancy stuff and kids kissing fish.

You forgot the bloody spatula............. you know, the egg turner thingamy!

You didn't tell anyone that Captn Stumpy had to bail breakfast out and pull out the trusty barby mate- did you ?????

No Worries FRIEND.

Bring your own barbie mate spatula egg turner thingy next time................ cause I just might not be there.

(Was that dramatic enough?)

Nice one Gibbo.

All your Nancy Pancy stuff and kids kissing fish.

You forgot the bloody spatula............. you know, the egg turner thingamy!

You didn't tell anyone that Captn Stumpy had to bail breakfast out and pull out the trusty barby mate- did you ?????

No Worries FRIEND.

Bring your own barbie mate spatula egg turner thingy next time................ cause I just might not be there.

(Was that dramatic enough?)

WHAT A CLASSIC STUMPY! THINK I'M GETTING CARRIED AWAY WITH THE MOMENT AND I'M NOT EVEN DRINKING!!!

Thanks buddy for the spatula - without mates like you my children would have very funny looking pancakes for breakfast. I do hope you don't mean you won't venture out with us again as we had so much fun ... see pic below. Who doesn't love a game of charades????

passing the peace pipe? :biggrin2:

CFD

VERY GOOD COME BACK. :Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post:

Actually, we were playing charades and I was the "Pied Piper"

Unfortunately, Margs youngest suggested "dick head"

Oh Well ???????????

VERY GOOD COME BACK. :Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post::Funny-Post:

Actually, we were playing charades and I was the "Pied Piper"

Unfortunately, Margs youngest suggested "dick head"

Oh Well ???????????

Who said kids aren't smart these days??? :1prop:

Looks like you guys had a REALLY good weekend.

How much :beersmile: was done before the charades???

:Funny-Post:

Posting on the Forum is addictive and prolongs the good feeling, as well as sharing your experiences with others. It gives everyone else a share of your excitement as well.

Cheers

Greg