Harbour Fishing, My Grandfathers 1st King

gio

Thought i would put a report up on behalf of my grandfather vince. My "nonno" has been fishing the harbour once a week for the last 3 years. At 70 years of age he and his also retired italian mate down the rd drive to the station, pick up some bait at the local fish market and catch the train into the city at 5am with all their gear packed into their little trolleys. They get off at milsons pt and fish somewre on the north westrn side of the bridge, occasionally they get a feed of leather jackets and flatties but nothing to write home about. With all this kingy action in the harbour ive been trying to convince him to try and catch some fresh squid for bait, but trying to teach someone new techniques at that age is pretty hard. He hasnt changed his technique since i taught him how to tie a patternoster , which at the time was the greatest thing since my nonnas :wife: last homemade lasagna :074: . In the last few weeks hes been telling me how hes been getting smoked on his "department store" gear which is apparently "gooda stuff" and no name gear that he got conned into buying at the markets by his mate. A fort night ago his mate who wasnt paying much attention got a good hit and his rod buckled over and disappered into the water never to be seen again :074: . I told him a school of kings had probably come through and he should be more prepared the next week so he should up his main line and leader line strength, and start using using fresh squid or peeled green prawns for bait. Anyway last week everything finally came together for him and he landed his 1st king albeit a rat it was legal nonethelss 63cm, and he lost a couple more :thumbdown: . What makes it more valuable was that it it was landed on a jarvis walker reel with no name 20lb line (just aswell i told hime to up his line :tease:), and a 10 foot red wolf rod :wacko: that i had only just replaced the tip on with some super glue and a tip from a cheapo rod repair kit . Just goes to show i guess that if yor lucky enough you can catch kings on anything. So atm the king tally is nonno 1 me 0 :mad3::thumbdown:

post-1489-1175583990_thumb.jpg

post-1489-1175584005_thumb.jpg

Edited by gio

:074: top post gio.

good to see nonno going great guns.

i know how you feel about trying to teach them new things.

im trying to teach my dad new ways to fish and he just does not want to accept it, he loves his handlines and thats it.

hahaha good on ur Nonno... maybe u shud take ur Nonna next time .. see if she can have some fun out on the water:P

haha i used to go with my grandpa all the time... return with a bucket full of decent sized fish... 8 years ago...

the harbour sure has changed..

That's awesome. My grandpa introduced me to fishing and still remains my number one fishing partner. A huge congrats to your nonno - reminds me of my grandpa's persistence on using his old faithful reel! :thumbup: Nice king - hope he catches many more.

Flattieman.