Terrible Day.......almost Tragic

Red

Raiders,

I just had the displeasure of visiting one of our fellow raiders and dear friend (who i'm not prepared to name) at a Sydney hospital. He and his passenger had a terrifying experience on the bay this morning. He took his eyes of the water for only a couple of seconds and ploughed into a timber channel marker at considerable speed.

The injuries suffered to both people are shocking.........they stared death in the face and are damn lucky to be alive.

Please be careful on the water, not only this weekend but every weekend. Please give boaties and other obstacles a wide berth at all times. I don't want to be visiting another raider at a hospital again and i'm not keen on funerals either.

This incident has really upset my harmony in a big way and i can only begin to imagine how my other dear raider mates felt when they realised who's boat it was that had come to such grief. A horrifying experience for all involved. I'm praying for a speedy recovery but its not looking likely :(

Play it safe

Red

Swordies/Grant,

Thanks for your genuine concern. They are in capable hands at the moment but are still waiting to be operated on. One guy needs extensive plastic surgery on his face and the other won't be walking un-aided for a long time. This incident has shook me to the core as i've already lost three friends to the sea in three seperate incidents. Lets hope these guys make a full recovery and the rest of us have incident free long weekend.

Best regards

Red

Thanks guys, i was initially not going to post about this incident. But now and again we all need a reminder of just how dangerous our sport can be. I for one will be taking extra special care on the water from this day on and i hope you do too. Remember, if you are the skipper, you are the person responsible for the safe return of your mates. Accidents do happen but with a little patience and commonsense, many can be avoided.

Regards

Red

Terrible news Red and I hope they all make a swift recovery.

They are in good hands in hospital and I'm sure they will do everything in their power

for them to recover from this horrible incident.

It really brings it home when you hear about dear friends coming so close to disaster like that.

Keep it safe out there Raiders and our prayers go out to fellow fishos and their families in needs of comfort at this time.

Pete.

G'day Red

Thanks for sharing the sad news with us.

I hope the guys make a full and speedy recovery.

They will be needing a fair bit of help and support in the future.

I think we all take a lot for granted on the water. This will make me a lot more carefull.

There was a similar accident 2 weeks ago , somebody also hit a channel marker in the Hawkesbury - shocking indeed.

Red look after youself and tell your mates we are thinking of them.

cheers

inhlanzi

Hi Red

So sorry to hear of your buddies injuries - I reckon we have all had a close call at some time & just been plain lucky enough to get out of them without injury.

I often see folk going a bit too fast up here in Wallis Lake - not so much the structure that will get you - just the shallow sand beds - especially at low tide. Always a huge consideration when boating up here. My brother hit one last year when testing out his ski boat & was very lucky no-one was injured.

Our thoughts go out to them & their families

Cheers

Roberta

Ahh thats terrible.

It reminds me not to be so complacent on the water and take for granted

being out there.You have to be so careful all the time.

I hope they recover with as little complications as possible,so they can get back

normality quickly.

I feel for their families.

:(

I thought I would have a quick peak to see if anyone was going out tonight as I promised the kids I would take them fishing.Thank you for your post. I will still go out tonight, but with a lot more care. My 3 little passengers are the most important thing in my life, and sometimes we forget how precious life is.

I wish your friends all the best, and when we moor somewhere in a bay tonight, my kids will say a prayer for them.

It takes only a second for a accident to occur, but an eternity to fix.

D & G

How true. We all hear of accidents but when valued friends are involved it really shakes you up :1yikes:

My concern is that we are all in such a mad rush these days. Bream fishos dream of owning missiles that do 70 miles per hour, tuna fishos want to get out to Browns Mountain in 30 minutes etc.....the risks increase tenfold.

This sort of speed is downright dangerous and potentially deadly, especially in rivers with bends, sandbars, floating logs etc

Night fishos especially should go no more than half throttle. There are tinnies out there without lights and heaps of unlit markers, buoys etc, especially in the bay.

The 3rd runway is an absolute shocker at night. I struggle to see it at times as its too low to the water and unlit. I remember being out one night when a boat ploughed into the side of the runway killing one of the guys onboard.

Go easy raiders, give people and obstacles the wide berth they deserve and you will enjoy our great hobby forever.

Best regards

Red

Thats bad news about ur buddies Ang,I hope they get better soon

and with no permanent injuries.

U r right about the bay and the 3rd runway at night,all the bright lights at

Port Botany blind u,and its hard to see the runway.

I carry a handheld spotty on my Quiny that plugs into thye cig lighter for

night traveling.

Penguin

I'd like to echo everyone elses thoughts and wish those guys a speedy recovery. We can never be too careful on the water.

There was another accident on the Hawkesbury this week where a ski boat exploded as a couple of guys were trying to start it, both got pretty badly burnt apparently. As a sterndrive owner, this reminds me to not become complacent about using the bilge blower.

Take care on the water Raiders!

best wishes and prayers to the guys and there loved ones for a speedy recovery.

this is a good wakup call for all to take care on the water.i know i see silly things nearly every trip out and im not the only one i bet.

..steve...