How Close Did This Whale Come

fauce

Hey here is a pretty bad quality photo ( the actual photo is good but my scanner sucked) of a whale which came right up to our anchored boat at long reef over the winter. Scared the bejesus out of us because we did not see it coming. Must have only been 2m away. It came further out of the water but we missed the pick.

Garth

post-307-1100170980_thumb.jpg

Id be more worried about getting covered in whale snot

19283[/snapback]

G`day Fellas ,

Yeah , Its a mind blowing experience when it happens up close , isin`t it ?.

I couldn`t sleep for weeks after a Whale and her Calf surfaced just 10 feet away from us at Greenwell Point some years ago.

And although I wasnt scared , I was , totally overwhelmed by the whole experience I must admit.

In one way , it sort of seemed like a religious experience , and shivers went up my spine , when I saw that enormous eye just staring back at me .

By Gee , those whalers must have been something eh ? , little boat , lump of steel , plunged into thier back , and then just hang on.

Thankfully They are protected much better now though.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT

A number of years ago in my old Yalta I had a whale and her calf swim under us three times. (wide on East Reef north of Broken Bay). I found it quite an amazing experience, but my mate told me that the rules are that you must keep 100 metres away, and why didn't someone come and tell the rules to the B#$@dy whale!

On the first pass, we didn't even know she swum under us till she came up beside the boat and showed us the underside of her huge tail as she swam away from us, however by the third pass my mate had settled a little as he realised she knew exactly where we were, and if anything, she was more interested in us than we were in her.

It was a fantastic experience, however didn't have a camera with me to record it.

On another occasion, only a couple of miles wide of Box Head, we were watching a group of Humpbacks (we were drifting and they moved to within about 30 metres of us), when a Fairy Penguin swam past the transom of the boat. We decided that we'd seen the big and the small of it that day, and headed in after a few snaps were taken.

During last winter we had a pod of about 40 Dolphins swim with us for nearly an hour. At one stage my Mrs reconned she could pat one of the Dolphins on the head, but was too scared to try.

The Ocean is a wonderful place, make sure you get out and enjoy it (says he, stuck on a job site in country Victoria!)

Cheers,

AF