Jump Starter Packs

Shark Bait

Hi all.

As a matter of interest, I bought a small jump starter (600 amp, a red 1) from super cheap a while ago. I had an old battery in my boat, so before I replaced it, I ran it flat & hooked up the jump starter. Hit the key & it wouldn't turn my 85hp suzi over. I went back to super cheap, had a winge & tried to buy a bigger 1. The guy serving me told me not to bother because I don't need the bigger 1.

I was using it wrong. He told me that they work through current exchange. He told me to connect the jump starter to my flat battery for 10 or 15 minutes so the jump starter can put some charge into the flat battery, then hit the starter. Buggar me, it worked.

I did the same with my VT commodore. Ran the old battery flat (the radio didn't even work), hooked up the jump starter & hit the key. Nothing. Left it hooked up for 15 minutes, hit the starter (with the injection relay out so it wouldn't start) & got 12 seconds cranking out of it.

The cheap $60 red 1. A good thing I reckon. We just use them wrong.

They've got a test button on them to tell you when they need charging. I charge mine when it gets down in charge, every 4 months or so. I use it for power to run all sorts of things. It will still start the boat when the power scale is down to the yellow (goes green, yellow, red)

These jumper packs are a great thing to have.

We had one at the workshop where I used to work.

I still haven't got around to getting one for home but I will eventually. :thumbup:

Guest Aussie007

i use the Pro Power 400 amp yellow starter pack from bigw cost $55-$60 good for the tinny i hook the navigation lights to the output on the side and cranks over a v6 commodore motor not a problem

Had one for years - our old Laser used to chuck a wobbly every now & then (intermittent fault, they called it, as it would never happen when I took it to a auto electrician!) Saved a lot of embarrasment when travelling from Forster - Sydney or just around town!! Finally got sick of it happening & Eventually got the electrics replaced (can't remember whether it was starter motor or the other thingie.) No probs since. Sold it!

However, it is also the most useful thing to have around when camping - fluoro lights etc run 2 or more with a double adapter. Great at home when you have power outage - you can see each other whilst waiting for the power to come back on .... doesn't happen as often now as a few years ago, thank God!

The prices have really come down from when I got mine - but still worth it.

Just remember tho, if you have a diesel vehicle & intend to use it for starting it from flat, seems you need the 'super dooper' jump starter to do the trick - a regular one usually doesn't have the grunt to do it. They are always a bit more pricey, too.

Cheers

Roberta