Marlin Board Burley Bucket Install

caine

guys dumb question maybe, cause im not that handy.

I just got a marlin board burley bucket and going to install it in the step at the back of my tinnie.

need some advise a couple of things

1- I gotta cut a hole in my baby. whats the best way to do this and make a perfect circle.

can you get a circular drill bit big enough or do you use a jig saw... its about 8inchs across

2- i would like to be able to remove it for cleaning, should i just make the hole tight enough so that it fits snug, or should i secure it with a screw or bolt & nut

3- how worried should i be about the boats performance. as long as its doesnt hang below the boat, am I ok?

post-1893-1176378047_thumb.jpg

I fitted one of those to my 1997 quitrex 455 escape by using a jig saw (in amatuer hands) and the result was great. It did not drag when planeing, and was easily removed for kid time, but I can appreciate your apprehension at cutting bloody big hole your baby. Maybe get your local ally welder to make a plug for the hole if you really thik you need it when not fishing, or get the family to board to board from the other side.

nah i just want to be able to remove it for cleaning

Yeh, i need to shove my hand into the bottom of mine at the end of each trip to get the junk out :ranting2:

Mines on a marlin board on a fibreglass boat, and was already installed when i purchased the boat secondhand.

You definatly need to secure it or you might loose it !

You could try 1-2 stainless bolts with spring washers and wing nuts for fast removal?

(for the non technical types, the spring washer keeps a bit on tension on the nut to reduce the chance of it vibrating loose)

Dont let it drag in the water while on the plane.

You can always space it up a bit if its too low. Use longer bolts and put some nyloc nuts and washers halfway along the thread to stop it dropping all the way down to the plastic flange.

As a staring point id suggest it is a minimum of 30-40mm above the bottom of the hull.

Im not saying a jigsaw is the right or wrong way, but if you are please use at least eye protection. And dont lean on the step or your personal equipment will be pretty close to the blade on the bottomside (ouch)

Mines mounted quite far back on the marlin board. A bit closer and it would be easier to drop things in.

Maybe pick a spot where you dont damage the integrity of the step with such a large hole.

Measure twice, cut once !

Mate i put one in my ALum 475 recently....

I first marked out a circle, then made a hole with a big drill bit and then jigsawed around and cut the hole out.

I secured it with 3 stainless steel nuts and bolts.

I can removed it within 3-4 minutes when need to give it a clean and it hasnt effect my boat on the plane at all.

If your marlin board is checker plate than cutting with a jig saw is not easy. I marked the hole I wanted and then drilled many holes with a 8mm drill all the way around only leaving about 5mm gap between each hole. Then I cut the rest with my jig saw. You will find this a lot easier and a cleaner job.

Cheers

Kingpig