Big Blue On Broadbill On Sunday

Ross Hunter

Hi Raiders,

You may remember my last report about snapping a big blue off last Monday ...Well that has been playing on my mind all week and I couldn't wait to get out there and find another big boy and stay attached, maybe even the same one and get my Bloodshot lumo sprocket back from Monday (well maybe that's wishful thinking)

As we said in that report You don't have to fish wide to catch blue marlin as a matter of fact the majority of blues we have caught have been inside the shelf in 80 to 90 fathoms

Yesterday we marked some great bait in 150 fathoms, we jigged good strings of mackerel and at one stage live baited for an hour with no result.

It was the thought of a blue marlin that was playing on my mind and we decided to pull in the live baits and reset Broadbill up with a brace of big lures on the Shimano Tiagra and Beastmaster( we have two original Beastmaster 80/130's I love them and whilst they are prehistoric they are still most rubust and reliable reels

they hold heaps of line and a great reel even if they are 20 years old)

We trolled 150 fathoms for a dozen striped tuna and at 3.30pm we decided to head in we trolled through a couple of great bait schools but no strikes.

Blue marlin when they strike are like an F-18 jet with afterburner lit , they hit with like a school bullie and at 83 fathoms we were to experience this thrill as 220 kg of pure speed climbed all over the big Bloodshot.

The beastmaster screamed in pain, actually the drag made some most unusual noises as the first 200 metres disapeared before the other three rods could be cleared. The third lure was not in and I was on the gas backing up as fast as Broady could go, by this we had 400 metres out and still losing line.

It was John Vassala on the rod and in the chair working his bum off.

Time and time again the giant marlin jumped, lunged and greyhounded tearing up the calm Tasman Sea. The elkele;';'pit after 15 minutes was half full ands the pumps kicked in still we pushed her harder backwards

I was thinking how lucky we weree that the fish took the 37gk and not the 24kg rod

The fight see sawed for a while until we eventually released the magnificent fish.

Shit! I love Blue marlin.they are MAD. :1prop:

Ross Hunter

I know what i will be doing this weekend :D

Time to up-size my guns! The 50's and 80's willhave to come out this weekend

Sounds pretty awsome, could try towing some Stripies............after catching more Dollies than you, Wildfish, James and Offtap put together :biggrin2:

Sounds pretty awsome, could try towing some Stripies............after catching more Dollies than you, Wildfish, James and Offtap put together :biggrin2:

yeah dont forget weve got rzee on our side as well!! :thumbup:

Edited by wildfish

ROSS YOU ARE A LEGEND.

THE SIGHT OF THAT BLUE MARLIN COMING OUT OF THE WATER ON SUNDAY (YES I WAS ON THE BOAT.) WAS UNBELIVALABLE. IT LOOKED 220KG TO 300KG

ROSS WORKED NON STOP FOR 10 HRS TO TRY TO GET US A HUGE BLUE.

I THINK THE BLUES WILL BE AROUND FOR A FEW WEEKS.( MAYBE MORE.)

WE HAVE A 7.5METRE SAILFISHER($120,000) BUT WHEN THE FISH ARE ON WE GO WITH ROSS.

JUST ONE TRIP CAN GIVE YOU THAT FISH OF A LIFE TIME.

I'M NOT AVERTISING FOR ROSS JUST TRYING TO TELL YOU STOP WASTING YOUR TIME

NEW MEMBER GAMEROD

yeah dont forget weve got rzee on our side as well!! :thumbup:

Gamerod,

Thanks for the kind words....I'll pay you later For those Raiders who have not met Gamerod before there is a nickname attached. He fished three days at Pt Stephens with us this year and caught a few great marlin. Every one he would almost through the guides on the rod in no time flat, hence his nick name THE HUMAN WINCH :1fishing1:

Thanks again Anthony for those most kind words.

Ross Hunter

Bugga, I don't think Burrendong Dam has Blues!

Great read Ross, one of your stories was the thing that introduced me to "Raiders" I will get to one of your charters before I die! (Hope I can still hold a rod by then :074: )

Thanks for the adrenalin rush.