Syd Harbour 16/4 Land Based Squiding

Dano1

Hi all,

Just a quick post and a few pics.

finished work and decided to head down to my favorite land based squid spot and once again it produced.

In an hour of squiding i had droped 2 at my feet and landed 1 apox 20cm! At one stage i had about half a dozen swiming around my legs ranging in size from tiny about 5cm to about 12cm (perfect live bait size) . :mad3: If only i had a little scoop net i could of eaisly scooped them up :1prop: They were to close to me to be able to jig them up they would come over for a look at the jig then it would spook them :thumbdown:

Just for everyones info i was NOT using egimax!!

Have a look at the photos this rock pool was working perfectly as a live well every time a big boat went past the water was repleneshed! :thumbup:

post-3412-1176716086_thumb.jpg post-3412-1176716219_thumb.jpg

Even though i only landed 1 it was a great little sesh and thats one more lump of bait ive got in the frezzer!

Dan.

great work mate,

what jigs were you using?

Hey Sean,

was using a varity of jigs lumo, 1.8 yozuri and lumo sparkle had follow ups on all jigs!

The one 1 landed one a watto special a lumo sparkle one!! Thanks again for all the jigs i purchased on sat :thumbup:

The full lumo also did very well on sun morn! :biggrin2:

Dan.

ahhh great stuff!!

Squidding is the new black! :biggrin2:

Deffinatly i am addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love squid fishing!!

Dan.

Hey Sean,

was using a varity of jigs lumo, 1.8 yozuri and lumo sparkle had follow ups on all jigs!

The one 1 landed one a watto special a lumo sparkle one!! Thanks again for all the jigs i purchased on sat :thumbup:

The full lumo also did very well on sun morn! :biggrin2:

Dan.

Deffinatly i am addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love squid fishing!!

Dan.

HEHHEHEHE

Getting the bait is half the fun. But always like to have some freshly frozen caught bait yourself in case on that day you go out, yakkas an squid dont play. But you know this :biggrin2:

And the way I showed you how to store them, they can be used as freshlly caught bait for alot of desirable species, or even eat them yourself. So long as they are white they are alright!

Dan (D&G)

Edited by Dan and Greg

its great to see that the squid are coming in numbers, was at spit on sat night ang got 1 1st cast, and lost a few aswell.

U cant beat fresh squid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Yeah they are deffinatly in numbers every where!

We got squid in several different locations on sunday!!

was loving it!!

pitty theres no kings that want to eat them!!

:thumbdown:

Thats fishing!

Dan.

Edited by Dano1

met dano1 yesterday night whilst squid jigging

top bloke great meeting u

as for my night caught a total of 4

my biggest was caught last night

44cm. loved it.

mate im hooked on the squid jigging

good bumping into a fishraider member too

btw does anyone know if u can catch squid at long reef or near it?

cheers

Does the squid go straight into the freezer? While it is still wriggling ??

mate i got this technique from dan & greg and used it with a few i caught from Clifton, as soon as you bring it up it goes str8 into a zip lock bag and then cover it in ice, but dont let any fresh water or ice touch the actual flesh as it ruins it as bait... then into the freezer when u get home.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Dicko.

Got myself a few jibs at Wattos and am gonna ge tout there one of these days for a squidding session.

As it will be my first time, can someone tell me how to handle the squid ? Use hands to rip it off the jig then into the snap lock bags ?

Thx !

Thanks Dicko.

Got myself a few jibs at Wattos and am gonna ge tout there one of these days for a squidding session.

As it will be my first time, can someone tell me how to handle the squid ? Use hands to rip it off the jig then into the snap lock bags ?

Thx !

Quite easily done as mention by dicko

Whatcha do stylo is as soon as you bring em aboard, put em in a nsap lock back an put under ice following what dicko pointed out! As for getting the squid off your jigg mate either grab the squid around the hood an remove it using ur hand or invert the squid with slack line an 99% of the time the squid will simply drop free!

DAN

D&G

Gotta love those cephalopods.. such a versatile beast. Land based squidding is also a passion of mine (hence the avtar and nickname). Can't get enough of that gentle pulse as they whack it in reverse and try to fight the seemingly meek and mild prawn with the strength of ten men. :1prop:

the way i was taught to store them was to keep a a few tupperware containers on you (small ice cream buckets work too as long as the lid fits snuggly)

when you catch them, put them in the container with salt water and seal it tight. then simply freeze it in the salt water.

they keep for ages for both bait and eating

one thing is, never take anything out of them and try and leave the ink sack in tact

i wish i had the freezer space to do that!!

i bought a vacuum sealer from ebay for 100 bucks and that works amazingly well

only thing is it stinks so i gotta keep it in the garage :badair:

ahhhh i wont be getting my 6 hours of squIDDinggGGG this weekend :1crybaby:

i have to go see a band at the metro called CLUTCH which is good but bad because im not going to get my fix this weekend! :1crybaby::1crybaby::1crybaby::1crybaby::1crybaby: