Final Weekend.

Hi all,

Down here in Tas the brown trout season has just finished and so for the next three months no more of my beloved stream fishing. However on the last weekend I managed to get out a bit with some success.

Saturday was the time to finally take a workmate up on his offer to fish on his land and hit a relatively unfished section of one of my favourite rivers: the meander.

meander_28april07_s_205.jpg

The first fish came on about my third cast and though only small at about 28cm it still augered well for the day. for about 30min I continued to fish off the bank in an area cleared of willows picking up two more fish which got progressively bigger to 38cm before the relatively deep water and overgrown banks forced a retreat to the car for the yak which I had left in there from a previous trip.

Continuing upstream in the yak I quickly hooked up again to a nice fish only to have it jump off at boatside and several more earned their freedom by doing the "swim towards the yak then go ballistic" thing.

Finally one stayed connected long enough and came in with his fins up in surrender.

surrender_s_113.jpg

After this I broke out the mini gear for a shot on the penrod (small enough to fit in the backpack - luv it), shortly after getting my first yak-fish on the toy gear.

penrod_meander_28april07_s_132.jpg

After this I went back to the real gear and as the river changed character to a shallower shingle bottomed affair and it was time for a bit of wading.

A long cast to the head of a pool produced a solid whack and then with a sharp crack the line parted just above the reel. Luck was on my side however as I sulked about the loss when I spotted my line floating on the surface upstream. To my surprise as I pulled up tight I was able to not only retrieve the lure but also the fish which was still attached.

unlucky_fish_s_208.jpg

On that note it was time to call it a day and head off to work but the season wasn't over and on sunday after my first option was washed out by overly high river flows I headed to the lake river, a little stream I've only fished a couple of times since "discovering" it earlier this season.

With little water about

lake_river_29april07s_185.jpg

it was a wading session and though this river is typically a lots of small fish spot I was fairly confident I'd get a few to finish the season on a high note. I wasn't disapointed, picking up a few typical river fish.

29april07_lake_river_2s_124.jpg

But the best was yet to come, as towards the days end I came to a lovely looking spot where a relatively large pool bottlenecked into a shallow gravelly run along a shaded udercut bank. Occasionally you do a cast that you think just has to be worth a fish and this was one of those and my little spoon was absolutely clobbered by a nice fish that put up quite a tussle in the fast water before allowing me to land and unhook it.

29april07_53cm_lake_river_s_190.jpg

release53cms_179.jpg

At 53cm, it wasn't my best for the season but certainly up there and a great way to finish. However me being me I just had to have one more cast and so my last fish for the season wasn't actually such a high note.

final_06-07_trout_s_154.jpg

Particularly when a cast into a small pond on the walk back to the car produced this:

29april_reddie_s_111.jpg

Still a nice end to the season so I can't complain.

Col.

post-1831-1177928692_thumb.jpg

Great report Col and great pics,

My PB stream brown only went 49cm so in my books 53cm is a pig!! :thumbup:

Have not been trout fishing this whole season and i really miss it. Tell me Col do you ever go fishing for Bream down there in tassie, you know they put our mainland Bream to shame, they are huge :1yikes:

Cheers

BM

Great report Col and great pics,

My PB stream brown only went 49cm so in my books 53cm is a pig!! :thumbup:

Have not been trout fishing this whole season and i really miss it. Tell me Col do you ever go fishing for Bream down there in tassie, you know they put our mainland Bream to shame, they are huge :1yikes:

Cheers

BM

I don't hit the bream very often at all as they are very rare in my part of the state and I haven't had the time to drive the 200km to reliable spots very often (compared to 10min drive for trout streams). It'd be different if I lived in Hobart. I've caught a few down here but nothing to brag about. I will try to give it more of a go before I leave though.

Cheers

Col.

post-1831-1178079051_thumb.jpg

I don't hit the bream very often at all as they are very rare in my part of the state and I haven't had the time to drive the 200km to reliable spots very often (compared to 10min drive for trout streams). It'd be different if I lived in Hobart. I've caught a few down here but nothing to brag about. I will try to give it more of a go before I leave though.

Cheers

Col.

:1yikes: bloddy hell still a nice fish tho