Port Kembla Jews And Snapper

Yabbiehunter

HI all finally got my boat repaired and with all the talk of jews every1 has been catching i wanted to have a crack at some myself, a friend of mine told me of a spot where he gets jewfish constantly i thought to myself :ranting2: but anyways i said lets go and try your spot, we got to the ramp about 8pm launched the boat and went jew hunting, but just my luck the fishfinder was not working, a cable had come loose, anyways off to the channel marker and threw down our full squids,winds were about 25knots and there was a 1Meter swell but we persisted, 1st half an hour nothing, i still had hope as the tides were favourable and it was 2 days after the full moon, a little while later mt mates rod (4kg) bends over after a couple of short runs a nice soapie 64cm 10 min later im on with another soapie about the same size a while later the jews stop and i hook up a healthy snapper 42cms later we get a tailor about 33cm another smaller snapper and a nice bream also just before we were about to leave we scored 2 more jews, all in all we scored 4 jews (largest 70cm....no monster i know) and a few other fish, we would get hit and lose fish a number of occasions, i am thinking of using circle hooks next time i am out on the water, also just a note, i was using 2 rods a 3kg bream outfit with running sinker rig and the other was 15kg boat outfit with patanoster rig...... i found the jews would drop the bait as soon as they felt the weight of the sinker on the paternoster rig, as all jews were landed on light tackle....... Btw... we also caught a small Hammerhead shark (was released). hope you like the pics will be out there again this weekendpost-3509-1178283423_thumb.jpgpost-3509-1178283438_thumb.jpgpost-3509-1178283450_thumb.jpg post-3509-1178283479_thumb.jpg

great session

what area were you fishing.

gees i didnt realise jews were that fussy but then again it does make sense with the heavier weight.

was fishing just inside the harbour, fishfinder was dead but my mate had been there before and pointed out the spot, a lot of hook ups though, i would say we lost another 8-12 fish, next time i will use the twin hook rig

G,day yabbiehunter.

Quote: "anyways off to the channel marker"

I take it thats the green channel marker just off the northern breakwall.

Top session Yab, great fish. :thumbup::yahoo::thumbup:

Cheers.

G,day yabbiehunter.

Quote: "anyways off to the channel marker"

I take it thats the green channel marker just off the northern breakwall.

Top session Yab, great fish. :thumbup::yahoo::thumbup:

Cheers.

LOL well done Mr lewis..... i am about to go down there tonight...hope to be down there approx 9pm

and fish till about 2-3am perfect weather for it, looks like i might see you down there