Faith In Humanity Is Restored

Red

G'day Raiders,

Last saturday i rescued a couple of frantic middle aged men who were trapped in a burning boat. The smoke could be seen from quite a distance. There were no less than 15 boats (including the Water Police) within 500m from these gentlemen yet no one went to help :thumbdown: .

Anyhow, I had to bolt from Bare Island to the first runway to assist.

Extinguished the fire and towed the greatful gentlemen back to the ramp. These fine men were of Chinese origin and their english was quite broken. They kept saying, thank you......thank you and thats all i expected. One of the chaps asks for my phone number incase he needed a witness and i was only too happy to supply the info.

Today, i get a call from one of the gentlemen asking for my work address. He drives into the city to meet me and produces a bag of goodies. I said, you don't have to do this mate, just please rescue me when i'm in trouble. Your thank yous and smiles were more than enough for me.

He insisted i accept the gift which consisted of a "one litre" bottle of Jonnie Walker Black Label, a $50 bottle of wine and beautiful silk tie. I was gobsmacked to say the least. My faith in humanity was restored by this one event and there's been an extra spring in my step all day. In a world with so much crime and shame its nice to know that there are out and out champions still in existance.

I know this has little to do with fishing but i just had to tell this story to someone :074::074:

Regards

Red

Edited by Red

Guest Big-Banana

I think this is the one area I'd like to think Karma exists. Good stuff mate.

Guest Reely

That is one awe inspiring read! Red you are and always have been a true Gentleman and scholar!

We need more Reds in the world!

K.

A double :thumbup::thumbup: to you Ange , this is the calibre of your average Fishraider !! Boat fires can be as hazardous to the rescuers , as to the occupants , quick thinking and a cool head saved the day !

Enjoy your gifts old mate , you have more than earned them !

Ross

............ Extinguished the fire and towed the greatful gentlemen back to the ramp.

What was actually on fire, and what type of boat was it, if i may ask ?

Just in general terms.

Boat fires interest me. Ive never had a fire aboard my own boat and plan not to.

Ive attended a couple of cruiser fires and evacuated people of the boat. You dont think twice, you just do it. I do remember asking him what type of fuel he had on board and where it was stored. There was a mad scramble too get as many fire extingusishers as we could find on the duty wharf before taking off at a zillion MPH.

Rod

GOOD ON YA RED!

Mate I've been rescued twice (once dead battery and once when I forgot to put the split pin back in after working on the mototr and my $400 s/steel prop flew off) and I KNOW it's because of Karma!

I stop to help everyone who needs it cause one day, even if I don't, one of my kids may need help or my wife or mum might break down somewhere and I'd like to think that someone decent would stop and help.

I've even pulled up to people who I thought were in trouble and turns out they were re-rigging or have lost something in the boat.

Good on ya mate .... people like you deserve to be rewarded!

:thumbup:

PS: anyone that comes across a s/steel prop under the red marker at Sow'n'Pigs, can you please PM me! :yahoo:

To take a line from Swordie, thats absolute Gold!!

And I bet that spring in your step will last quite a while( Unless you drink the Scotch in 1 night :074: )

I only hope that if my kids get into that sort of trouble, someone like you is around :thumbup:

An inspirational read Red and good on you for helping to narrow the divide between people of different ethnic origins. After all...we are all human beings on this planet and all life is precious.

A truly heroic effort on your part and I agree with others that Karma works in the best way by helping others.

Enjoy that bottle of JB Black and remember their gratitude and thanks and your kindly efforts with every sip.

A true Raider in every sense of the word.

The other thing that amazes me is why the police didn't go to their assistance first off.

Good on you mate.

Cheers,

Pete.

Raiders, the Australian Chinese community should be proud of these men. What they did was totally unexpected by todays standards and quite frankly, i can't get over it.

I learnt a big lesson whilst honeymooning. The :wife: and i went to Vanuatu and we had booked in for a night reef fishing trip for dogtooth tuna(my dream fish) with what turned out to be the dodgiest charter operator on the island. Thankfully we both got struck down by an awful bug which meant the good wife was crook in bed back at the resort. No bug was stopping me from going fishing for doggies :biggrin2: . We were married for only four days now.

To cut a long story short, the dodgy motor lost its gearbox in 400 fathoms of water in the middle of no where. This happened just after sunset. No radio, no flares, no one in sight and too deep to anchor :ranting2: The 15 knot wind was blowing us away from home.

Anyhow, i fell asleep as there was nothing that could possibly be done to improve the situation. At 1:30am i was woken by the screaming skipper and deckie. In the distance they could see a light. :1yikes: It took ages for this light to get close enough. We flashed a torch, whilstled and yelled at the top of our lungs but the huge tri-hulled yacht sailed past us :mad3: This was the lowest feeling imaginable. Never felt so gutted!

We kept flashing at the now disappearing yacht and carrying on like right lunatics until somehow someone on the back deck must have seen our torch. The yacht started to turn and i yahooed like never before. WHAT A RELIEF!

I've owed that person a huge debt of gratitude ever since. We arrived back in Vila at 6am and i was tucked in bed with my K.O'd wife at 6:30. She would have freaked out if she was on board and i thank god for making her sick on this day :074:

This experience was the wake up call i needed as a boat owner and have always helped a fellow boatie since. Its the right thing to do. There are no other options.

Regards

Red

Pete, the Water Police were too busy checking boats at the 3rd runway. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Rod, it was a fuel fire. Fuel leaked and burnt the motor, the tank, floor, seats, wiring etc The 4.5m tinnie was a mess. Ever seen a black yamaha? :1yikes:

I've had one small fire on my boat that was luckily contained very quickly. Developed a bad habit of carrying a spare lighter in the glovebox but this formed some rust and seems did not shut properly after i lit a smoke. There must've been the slightest of flames left but it was enough to burn the maps and melt the glovebox.

Never again will i use a rusty lighter.

Regards

Red

I have met Ange on several occassions and this guy is right at the top of the tree as a TOP BLOKE.

Nothing is too much trouble for Red and his demeanor is so cool and casual ,a true family man as well.

I for one am better off for meeting this guy :thumbup:

Great story mate and I hope if I ever get into trouble you are the person just round the corner :yahoo:

Hope to catch up with you again on Thursady Night at Kingsgrove RSL.

Cheers Stewy

And for anyone who thinks I am pissing in Reds pocket ? forget it .When you meet him you will know what I am talkin about .

Rod, it was a fuel fire. Fuel leaked and burnt the .......

Thanks for the reply Red.

Fuel fires scare me :1yikes: Ive just re run all new fuel lines with seperation from wiring and put a shut off valve close to the tank incase my fuel hose burns thru.

cheers

Rod

Good to see there are still some true blue gents in the world. We have been at both ends of the rope, ie rescuing, AND being rescrued! :thumbdown:

The fact that they gave you something for your assistance further illustrates the fact that they truely appreicated what you did for them. In the past, an last tow in was only 4 weeks ago, Greg was offered $50, knocked that back, an accepted a beer instead :biggrin2:

Red you know now you have friends for life in these guys. If something happens to you (GAWD FORBID) an they are around they will do everything to save your bacon!

These days we are quite happy to recieve a smile an thank you

Sorry didnt mean to hijack your post Red!

TOP POST

D & G

Edited by Dan and Greg

Raiders, the Australian Chinese community should be proud of these men. What they did was totally unexpected by todays standards and quite frankly, i can't get over it.

I learnt a big lesson whilst honeymooning. The :wife: and i went to Vanuatu and we had booked in for a night reef fishing trip for dogtooth tuna(my dream fish) with what turned out to be the dodgiest charter operator on the island. Thankfully we both got struck down by an awful bug which meant the good wife was crook in bed back at the resort. No bug was stopping me from going fishing for doggies :biggrin2: . We were married for only four days now.

To cut a long story short, the dodgy motor lost its gearbox in 400 fathoms of water in the middle of no where. This happened just after sunset. No radio, no flares, no one in sight and too deep to anchor :ranting2: The 15 knot wind was blowing us away from home.

Anyhow, i fell asleep as there was nothing that could possibly be done to improve the situation. At 1:30am i was woken by the screaming skipper and deckie. In the distance they could see a light. :1yikes: It took ages for this light to get close enough. We flashed a torch, whilstled and yelled at the top of our lungs but the huge tri-hulled yacht sailed past us :mad3: This was the lowest feeling imaginable. Never felt so gutted!

We kept flashing at the now disappearing yacht and carrying on like right lunatics until somehow someone on the back deck must have seen our torch. The yacht started to turn and i yahooed like never before. WHAT A RELIEF!

I've owed that person a huge debt of gratitude ever since. We arrived back in Vila at 6am and i was tucked in bed with my K.O'd wife at 6:30. She would have freaked out if she was on board and i thank god for making her sick on this day :074:

This experience was the wake up call i needed as a boat owner and have always helped a fellow boatie since. Its the right thing to do. There are no other options.

Regards

Red

Shit, that must have been an experience. Where you aware they didn't have radio/flares etc when you set out that day ?

Well done Angelo,those guys sure were lucky u were out there on the bay,

Good Karma coming ur way for sure :thumbup:

Bit of a worry that no one else closer seemed to wana give up fishing for

a short time, and possibly save another human beings life. :thumbdown:

You deserve any rewards u got given and then some.

penguin

Cheers guys, this thread is not about me (i'm no hero) as i'm sure any raider would have done the same thing. This thread was inspired by the totally enexpected generosity that i experienced yesterday. I now have lots of admiration for our Chinese Australians and i'm sure that these two gentlemen will be the first to rescue a stranger should the situation arise.

And yes, I do believe in Karma and i'm sure a 20kg jewfish on a hardbody will come my way this winter :074: Bring it on!

Regards

Red

p.s. Laredo, i didn't ask if they had the safety gear on board as you tend to expect a charter operation to have all this stuff by law. Won't be making that mistake again....lol