Halco Twisty

Hi Raiders,

Just bought myself a Twisty gold today. Whats the best method to use such a lure? Do i retrieve it as fast as i can? And what areas should I cast my lure into?

Sorry for all the q's, im very new to luring.

thanks.

Hey Orangeguy.

(This could be the silliest question yet)

Where you from?

I dunno much either mate but from what I do know I beleive those type of lures are best used throwing into bait schools busting the surface. (Lure imitates baitfish very well) As far as speed / retreival goes I think you can pretty much do everything from flat out to vertical jigging?!?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Edited by Boofhead

For Frigates you want to get the smallest Twisty possible, they only like the tiniest of tiny metals.

As for Salmon and Tailor they will take metals as large as themselves sometimes, but try to match the size of the baitfish in the area.

IFS

Thanks for all the tip guys.

Boofhead, no i'm not from Orange!

This might be a stupid question, but how do you find the bait schools?

Im planning on hiring a tinnie over the weekend (first timer) down at the Hacking and definetely want to give a shot at the Salmon...

Edited by orangeguy

• 1 month later...
ok, so visual inspection is the best way to find bait schools ?

Yep.

If you are trying to catch bait for bigger pray then burleying near structure (eg wharves, pylons or moored boats) will attract them as well.

Evets

a lot of times when you're fishing anchored up a few fish will bust up close to the boat.

if you've got the gear, make sure you have a rod rigged up with the lure on it so when this happens you can get into the action straight away.

also, sometimes you might not see any fish schools busting up

in this case you can troll around likely areas with the twisty. to maximise your chances trolling pull a minnow too - rapala CD7s are dynamite

if you head out and just troll along the ocean rocks you should pick up something

one more thing - keep your distance from the bommies, they're very dangerous

• 2 weeks later...

Cheap metals can certainly do the job, if you know the fish are there, I think the key can be perseverance. As the other guys have said, have a variety of clours and sizes, you will quickly work out what your favourites are the set conditions and species.

There is a ledge off Tomaree Head at Port Stephens I have fished for many hours with lures. Using different speeds, pauses, letting the lure sink down to the bottom and bringing it up, sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

One solid rule, already said in this thread, is that fish like Tailor are excitable and predators - they like it fast and furious. So fish the rocks or near the rocks where there is some wash, fish near bait fish and all that kind of stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheap metals can certainly do the job, if you know the fish are there, I think the key can be perseverance. As the other guys have said, have a variety of clours and sizes, you will quickly work out what your favourites are the set conditions and species.

There is a ledge off Tomaree Head at Port Stephens I have fished for many hours with lures. Using different speeds, pauses, letting the lure sink down to the bottom and bringing it up, sometimes things work, sometimes they don't.

One solid rule, already said in this thread, is that fish like Tailor are excitable and predators - they like it fast and furious. So fish the rocks or near the rocks where there is some wash, fish near bait fish and all that kind of stuff.

umm as spanker said tailor do like fast, but only with a fast lure... all i'm sayin is with a sniper or similar flat stick is the go but a raider has nice action at medium pace with more rod work... i'm no expert with twistys but a combo of pace and letting the lure flutter down has been most effective for me... as already said what fires em up one day will leave u fishless the next day.... experimenting is king....

flatty fanaticccccc :1fishing1: