Browns Mountain 12/5/07

mako1

Arrived at the ramp at 7am and headed straight for the drums in search of some livies.Only managed one trevally,so at 8am we set off for Browns mountain.Conditions were excellent with a long swell and not much chop.About half way to Browns the lures went in.We trolled all the way out to Browns(about 20km)and didn't get one hit.The further we went out the calmer it got.

I got the winch ready and we motored over to our mark.I put on some nice fresh squid that I got from Fishfinder and a piece of fish on the last hook.I sent the rig down and as soon as it got to the bottom I got a good hit and hooked up to a good fish.This fish provided a good fight for dad and I all the way to the top.We finally got colour and I gaffed and pulled a 14kg blue eye onboard.A great start to the day.

Saw the fishfinder charter boat and they looked like they were getting into some fish too.

On the second drop I got some smaller bites and hooked what felt like a gemfish.I left it down abit longer to see if I could hook another but there wern't anymore bites.Dad went to wind the fish up but the braid got tangled so dad held the braid while I untied the knot.While I was untangleing the braid dad got a good hit and had to hold the good fish for abit whilst I got the winch going again.This fish felt better then the first plus there was the added weight of the gemfish.After struggleing with the winch for awhile we got colour and a 17.5kg blue eye came aboard plus a 3kg gemfish. :yahoo:

post-2229-1178976237_thumb.jpg

Third drop and dad had to wait awhile for a bite but when it came it was another good one.Another good fight to the top and another 14kg blue eye came aboard.We couldn't believe how good the fishing was and how good the weather was.

All of the fish went for the squid baits and didn't touch the fish strips so I only rigged up squid.

Fourth drop and again I had to wait awhile for a bite but I got another good one and a 11kg blue eye came aboard.Since the fishing was so good we decided to continue fishing as we have alot of friends and family that love fish.

Fifth drop and dad had a smaller bite which we picked for a gemfish but it ended up being a 6kg blue eye.

Sixth drop and I hooked another fish that felt like a gemfish but after the last one I thought it might be another small blue eye and when we got it to the top it was another 6kg blue eye.

After an excellent bottom session we finally put the winch away.

It was still very calm and there didn't seem to be any surface action so we called it a day and were back at the ramp at about 3pm.

Met afew fishraiders at the ramp(James1990,Domza and Wildfish),it was great to meet you guys.

Got home and cleaned the fish and fried up some fresh pieces.Can't beat fresh fish you've caught yourself.

It was such a beautiful day on the water and it was even better as the fishing was so good.

The whole catch.

post-2229-1178978899_thumb.jpg

Some of the fillets.

post-2229-1178978982_thumb.jpg

Magnificent hall Mako, you got to be happy with that bag of fish, it sure was a great day on water today , i must have trolled by u south of browns, there were a few boats out today but less than last week i think. Enjoy the feed . Cheers Dave

Hi Mako

Well done on a great catch mate. I was one of the guys onboard fishfinder yesterday. We got our boat limit on both blue eye and gemfish. Plenty of nice fish for everyone including Ian the skipper. Were you onboard the Seafarer Victory that was drifting near us. Nice setup mate.

I must congratulate Ian and his decky Jordan on an awesome day out. Everyone onboard had a great day. Only dowside was we had a slight engine problem which delayed our return back to Pyrmont.

Cheers

George

Thanks for all of you're kind replys.

Great report Mako, thats a good feed of fish there. Looks like the conditions were good as well, did you use the coke bottle sinkers?

I used the coke bottle sinker and it worked really well.Out of two trips and about 20 drops I only lost one of them and that was due to the fact that I let to much line out and the 300lb trace got stuck on the bottom,which was really difficult to break off.

How deep is the water at Browns. Do you need a winch or can you bottom bash ok with something like my trinidad full of braid? Nice fish as well by the way.

Thanks

Chris

The spots we fish range from 400m to nearly 600m.Using a winch is alot easier but it can also be done with a rod and reel.Not sure how much braid a trinidad can take but the rod and reel must also be able to take a 2-3kg weight plus the weight of a good fish.

Hi Mako

Well done on a great catch mate. I was one of the guys onboard fishfinder yesterday. We got our boat limit on both blue eye and gemfish. Plenty of nice fish for everyone including Ian the skipper. Were you onboard the Seafarer Victory that was drifting near us. Nice setup mate.

I must congratulate Ian and his decky Jordan on an awesome day out. Everyone onboard had a great day. Only dowside was we had a slight engine problem which delayed our return back to Pyrmont.

Cheers

George

That was us on the seafarer.We gave a wave as the boat passed.Sounds like you were all having lots of fun.

Hi mako,

You guys did really well, good to speak to you back at the ramp and thanks for the blue eye. :thumbup: .

If you didn't have the fishraider sticker i wouldnt of known it was you

No worries mate.It was good to meet you and the other raiders too.

Thanks domza for adding the last pic.We might have to look at a new esky as two of the hinges broke :biggrin2: