Sydney Harbour 19/20 May In The Yak

southerly

Hi all,

Launched at Clontaf and picked upa big squid and 5 small cuttles eraly, headed up stream meeting Dan, Jase and Tim. They put three fish in the boat before I got a hit. Missed the first king hit. Next one I hooked up and was having fun until it rubbed me off on some structure near the bottom, the leader came up totally shredded. Third time lucky it was and a 62cm king was tail grabbed. Sadly had to leave for net ball duty before the big ones showed up. After watching Dan cook breakfast in the boat I think I will have to fit a BBQ to the yak.

post-3697-1179621335_thumb.jpg

post-3697-1179621356_thumb.jpg

Sunday and I got ready to do it all again. A few more live cuttles and Kiwidan was already on site. Fed the first three cuttles to pickers each time I driffed over the top of the reef. A few bonnies were doing the rounds. Hooked up solid on the 4th cuttle, by the tail bangs through the rod I would call it a bonnie, though it stayed under the boat like a trevally does, it was pulling 20lb braid off the Kix so it had a bit of go in it. Sadly the leader parted about 4cm below the swivell while the fish was in mid water below the boat. Not sure why it broke, but it looked like a clean break, may have been nicked somehow. Had to leave at 7.30am so I may have been too early.

Any way two lovely mornings to be on the water.

Southerly

Edited by southerly

Hi Dan,

Yeh, I would love to catch a 90cm+ king in the yak,the tow around the ocean would be wonderful. At least anyone who saw me land it would have no idea where I was actually fishing on hook-up, unlike you guys. :1prop: I am also chasing my fisrt yak jew, I can only drag live squid around for so long before a jew finds one. I used to catch them around the Dobroyd bouys (20 years ago) but in recent boat trips there it has been very quiet.

Southerly

Well done, Southerly! Love your yak setup! Shame about the bustoffs! Looking forward to hearing of you hooking a jewie - don't know if anyone has done that before - proabably has, but not read/written about it!

Keep up the good work!!

Cheers

Roberta

Hey Southerly

Was great to meet you out on the water. I saw you fighting that fish before you got busted off. I only hung around for about another halfa before having to head in myself. I only managed to land the 1 bonito which ive got in the freezer for bait.

Hopefully the next outing will produce a few more thumpers and the elusive kingifsh that im yet to land!!

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

Hopefully the next outing will produce a few more thumpers and the elusive kingifsh that im yet to land!!

Cheers

Kiwi Dan

Hi Kiwi Dan,

Was good to meet you. Keep at it an you will get your king, should get a few more weeks before it slows down for winter. The first one is always the hardest, they get easier after that. You were doing all the right things from what I could see.

Southerly

Nice lil yak caught King southerly, :thumbup:

I dont know how u yak fishos deal with some of the

huge wash from some of the boats in the harbour,

u guys are either nuts or brave, :biggrin2:

penguin

Nice lil yak caught King southerly, :thumbup:

I dont know how u yak fishos deal with some of the

huge wash from some of the boats in the harbour,

u guys are either nuts or brave, :biggrin2:

penguin

Hi Penguin,

Yeh, those short sharp washes especially from the big game boats and the luxury motor yachts can be a problem, my yak is pretty boyant and rides over most of it, but I have had wash come strianght over the back/front deck and deposit 50lt of water in the boat. Had a wave break as it hit the side last sunday and got me all wet. Thank fully there is only a few waves in each wash, keeps life interesting. If I can quarter the yak to the wash it is usually ok. Like all the other yak fisho's all my expensive gear and the paddle is tied in to the yak, and 'dry' is a very relative concept, so we are geared for some water.

I have not been caught out in a bad southerly on the open harbour yet but I suspect the short chop it creates would be a bigger problem as it would be continuous, and steerage drops significantly in strong wind. On the plus side I can land the yak almost anywhere if I had to.

Its the guys who go 5km offshore chasing marlin in yaks that have me amazed, now that is crazey! I'm more worried about being run over in the dark.

Southerly

Edited by southerly