Botany Bay 20.05.07

frankp

After all week preparing ourselves for a browns trip for blue eye we ended up changing our minds late to stick to the estuaries and try and land some afternoon kingies.

We pushed off from kymeegh boat ramp at abot 1.30 with the intention of getting any squid if there were any around since the squid in the bay can be so bloody hard to get. Anyway after getting to our spot we dropped our jigs to find that squid no longer than 15cm would follow our jigs and not touch them, we did have rather large jigs so we changed them over to the 2g's and wthin an hour had 12 squid including arrows which i had seen in botany before.

post-2379-1179712083_thumb.jpg

With enough squid on board we heading to our favourite kingie spot and proceeded to downrigg for no more than half a minute before the live squid got absoluetly smashed. I took charge of the rod with this fish pushing drag of close to 9kg, with the fishing so close to structure and this obviously a good fish I started to apply too much pressure and well the hooks pulled, the hooks may have been too small. :1badmood:

We put out a second and third squids and quickly pulled in 2 fish at 62 and 65cm.

We downrigged for another half an hour without a touch until 5.15 when the the big hit came, this fish was pulling drag like the first fish we lost but with my brother taking the rod and the fish luckly running away from structure we landed an 85cm kingie that had the both of us hugging and screaming. This was our first kingie over 80cm and was worth 2 years of hard work and fruitless sessions of no fish trying to adapt to a new way of fishing.

I would have to say that the key to this fishing is fresh bait, we had a few other people fishing the same area without a touch, we later found out that they had brought squid.

post-2379-1179712130_thumb.jpg

post-2379-1179712153_thumb.jpg

What an adrenalin rush.

cheers

Edited by mrs rzep

Top Kingy from the harbour :1yikes::thumbup::yahoo: , what tackle were you on? Good to see a happy fisho.

Cheers

Evil

we were using a daiwa saltist reel loaded with 50lb braid and a t-curve rod, its a beaut of a rod/reel.

we bought this to stop the bust offs that have been happening and well at least give us a chance. like i have said before we have learnt so much and every step we got to there were new steps to learn and improve on and that even included the gear we were using and mind you we are still learning. but i just love it.

Edited by frankp

After all week preparing ourselves for a browns trip for blue eye we ended up changing our minds late to stick to the estuaries and try and land some afternoon kingies.

We pushed off from kymeegh boat ramp at abot 1.30 with the intention of getting any squid if there were any around since the squid in the bay can be so bloody hard to get. Anyway after getting to our spot we dropped our jigs to find that squid no longer than 15cm would follow our jigs and not touch them, we did have rather large jigs so we changed them over to the 2g's and wthin an hour had 12 squid including arrows which i had seen in botany before.

post-2379-1179712083_thumb.jpg

With enough squid on board we heading to our favoueite kingie spot and proceed to downrigg for no more than half a minute before the live squid got absoluetly smashed. I took charge of the rod with this fish pushing drag of close to 9kg, with the fishing so close to structure and this obviously a good fish i started to apply too much pressure and well the hooks pulled, the hooks may have been too small. :1badmood:

We put out a second and third squids and quickly pulled in 2 fish at 62 and 65cm.

We downrigged for another half an hour without a touch until 5.15 when the the big hit came, this fish was pulling drag like the first fish we lost but with my brother taking the rod and the fish luckly running away from structure we laned an 85cm kingie that had the both of us hugging and screaming. This was our first kingie over 80cm and was worth 2 years of hard work and fruitless sessions of no fish trying to adapt to a new way of fishing.

I would have to say that the key to this fishing is fresh bait, we had a few other people fishing the same area without a touch, we later found out that they had brought squid.

What an adrenalin rush.

cheers

It sure paid off guys all that hard work and effort.Top kingy. :1yikes: