Japanese Sub

tiger_shark

I seen on the news the other day that NSW Gov has purchased some kind of buoy to protect the wreck of a jap sub off sydneys northern beaches. Apparently the water police are notified when someone goes within half a km of it. Just wondering if anyone has seen this buoy, and are you allowed to fish around it..

If the water police are notified if u go within half a km from it,I doubt

very much that u would be allowed to fish anywhere near it.

It is clasified as a war grave site,so some respect for the dead sub mariners

inside the sub would be in order.

penguin

penguin

No, it looks like it's a No-Go zone for fishing as well.

There are to be NO vessels within the 500 metre exclusion zone and I would think that includes rec. fishos as well.

Here is the official proclamation text of the zone, including co-ordinates.

JAPANESE MIDGET SUBMARINE

"The wreck recently found off Long Reef has been confirmed as the Japanese midget sub sunk during an attack in 1942. The midget sub was one of three submarines to attack the harbour during World War 2. The sub, known as M24, fired torpedoes which killed 21 people. The other two submarines were located long ago, but the M24 was never found until November 2006.

Environment minister Senator Ian Campbell has declared the area around the wreck off-limits. Speaking at a press conference to announce the identity of the sub had been confirmed by navy divers, Senator Campbell said there may be two demolition charges near the wreck which had not gone off. He said the area was now an exclusion zone to protect divers, as well as preserve the relic and any human remains that may still be there. "The protected zone extends for 500 metres in each direction," he said. "This makes it an offence to engage in any underwater activity, including diving, in the zone. Mooring or using ships in the zone will also be an offence without authorisation."

To ensure no one stumbles on the wreck by accident, the Department of Environment and Heritage has released the sub's co-ordinates - it's at 33 degrees, 40 minutes, 21 seconds South & 151 degrees, 22 minutes, 58 seconds East .

The fate of the two crew members, Mamoru Ashibe and Katsushiba Ban, is yet to be confirmed but North Manly naval historian Steven Carruthers believes they are still on board. Senator Campbell said the government would work with Japanese authorities to resolve that issue with sensitivity. The midget submarine wreck was listed provisionally as an historic relic on Friday, November 24. The State Government acted quickly to put an interim heritage order on the wreck. Planning Minister Frank Sartor declared fines of up to $1 million or a six-month jail term if anyone was caught damaging the site. The emergency order is the first one to be applied to a NSW maritime site."

As well, here is the media release from Heritage NSW on the same thing.

http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/docs/mediar...tSub_011206.pdf

It states:

Under Commonwealth laws, a 500m protection zone has been established around the wreck and

penalties of up to $10,000 apply for individuals breaching that zone (up to $50,000 for a body

corporate).

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

penguin

Anyone know what depth of water it is in?. 500 meter zone. Half the bubble heads I know can't swim that far so I hope the get the current right for their drift dive or are they talking about protecting the War memorial and navy divers

Pelican

Edited by pelican

Anyone know what depth of water it is in?. 500 meter zone. Half the bubble heads I know can't swim that far so I hope the get the current right for their drift dive or are they talking about protecting the War memorial and navy divers

Pelican

Mate you cant go anywhere near the site...i also heard from a navyman that there are cameras fitted to the bouy, if any boats approach they will record the rego numbers

They showed the buoys on the news the other night. They looked yellow and about 1-1.5 meter diameter cylinders with LOTS of solar panels all around them.

Rod

I hope you can see them from 500 M away otherwise how would you know??? 500 is a huge distance.

Hi wasn't interested in going there was just interested in the water depth as mate had asked after seeing it covered in fishing nets on the TV. If they find it has no bodies in it it may well become a historical dive spot on the sub wreck. Must be respected as a war grave till proven otherwise regardless.

Gotta say that it must be some extra special camera to survive out there and not only stay stable enough to take 360 degree photos but also do it through a salt covered lens????

Anyone know anything about makers of the buoy or equipment?

Anyone know the depth?

pelican

I hope you can see them from 500 M away otherwise how would you know??? 500 is a huge distance.

Hi wasn't interested in going there was just interested in the water depth as mate had asked after seeing it covered in fishing nets on the TV. If they find it has no bodies in it it may well become a historical dive spot on the sub wreck. Must be respected as a war grave till proven otherwise regardless.

Gotta say that it must be some extra special camera to survive out there and not only stay stable enough to take 360 degree photos but also do it through a salt covered lens????

Anyone know anything about makers of the buoy or equipment?

Anyone know the depth?

pelican

High-tech buoys fitted with video and acoustic equipment, manufactured by Australian company Zylotech, have been purchased by the NSW government to protect a Japanese midget submarine recently discovered off the coast of Sydney

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Zylote...3722719319.html

It's perfectly reasonable to ban people from fishing or diving the submarine, but all this hi-tech stuff is taking things overboard. it's politicians trying to cash in on the fame of the submarine incident (which is only well-known and historically interesting in that it was the only thing to happen at Sydney during WWII, and a non event by other standards.)

If there was a exclusion zone for every "war grave" on the sea floor, you wouldn't be able to go anyone in the South East Pacific, the North Sea or the Atlantic.

Just politicians trying to get some shine for being true blue

It's perfectly reasonable to ban people from fishing or diving the submarine, but all this hi-tech stuff is taking things overboard. it's politicians trying to cash in on the fame of the submarine incident (which is only well-known and historically interesting in that it was the only thing to happen at Sydney during WWII, and a non event by other standards.)

If there was a exclusion zone for every "war grave" on the sea floor, you wouldn't be able to go anyone in the South East Pacific, the North Sea or the Atlantic.

Just politicians trying to get some shine for being true blue

Thanks for the info guys

website of buoy manufacturer has a photo

http://www.sonacom.com.au/sonacomweb/

brochure http://www.sonacom.com.au/sonacomweb/

Still nobody has told me the water depth- any one know

Pelican

Edited by pelican

It states:

Under Commonwealth laws, a 500m protection zone has been established around the wreck and

penalties of up to $10,000 apply for individuals breaching that zone (up to $50,000 for a body

corporate).Cheers,

Pete.

Pete

At the risk of making light of a war grave (not my intention) does that mean it cant be approached by a block of flats?

John

Pete

At the risk of making light of a war grave (not my intention) does that mean it cant be approached by a block of flats?

John

:074::074: They don't float well either.

Strange wording in that document...would have been easier and better to say "commercial" vessels I'm sure.

Pete.

:074::074: They don't float well either.

Strange wording in that document...would have been easier and better to say "commercial" vessels I'm sure.

Pete.

Yeh agree, mate, flat water vessel only :074: I have to leave this thread alone. Interesting post though just the same.

John

Here she lies, with 500m exclusion zone included.

post-194-1180148732_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that. Glad it is a way off longreef as I didn't want to end up anywhere near the zone. Just love the chartplotters so much better than just the ol' gps

pelican

Edited by pelican